Actual cost of a catalytic converter?

Holiday

:
Protege 5
I'm seeing prices at Rock Auto for a replacement cat between $150 and $340 USD. My local autoshop was quoting me $900 CAD + labour. So am I correct that's a significant mark up? Just wondering if I'm looking at spending a grand on replacement or not.

Not sure if it's the pre cat or the final cat that is the issue at this point. Had a rear 02 sensor replaced and then got a new code about cat efficiency. I'm thinking it might be the first catalytic converter, the one on warm up, that's the issue but can't say for sure at this point. I know the car likes to rev to 1500 RPM upon start and then climbs down to a resting 500-700 RPM after about 4 mins. Is this because of the two catalytic converters?

. I know the car likes to rev to 1500 RPM upon start and then climbs down to a resting 500-700 RPM after about 4 mins. Is this because of the two catalytic converters?

That's just the way the car warms up. It takes a bit longer during the winter.

I found this one!!!

It ships to Canada.

You just unscrew your second O2 sensor, thread this into the hole, then thread your O2 sensor into it and your code is gone.

Hey thanks! So what does the mod do? Just trick the sensor in some way or am I bypassing the pre-Cat?

It tricks the sensor and ECU into thinking the pre-cat is fine.

The pre-cat does very little as far as reducing emissions. It only works for two or three minutes on a cold start until the main cat heats up and starts working.

It tricks the sensor and ECU into thinking the pre-cat is fine.

The pre-cat does very little as far as reducing emissions. It only works for two or three minutes on a cold start until the main cat heats up and starts working.

Ok thanks. So aside form when people buy aftermarket header the only reason people do the non-fouler mod is when the Pre-Cat is on the fritz and they want they light to go away?

Correct. To clear the code and pass emissions without having to spend $1000 on a new pre-cat.

The car will run fine with no problems.

Back