Interior Materials

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
What are the interior materials? Are the seats all leather or is the perforated part a different material? What is the covering of the steering wheel. I see the upper dashboard is a rubbery feeling plastic and lower part leather. Asking in order to know what cleaning products to use.

Soft rag lightly damped with warm water. This goes for any interior unless otherwise stated in the owners manual.

As Ed says, the owners manual should help. Mine says to use a 5% detergent solution.

I read elsewhere that the leather is "coated," so does not require a conditioner.

Soft rag lightly damped with warm water. This goes for any interior unless otherwise stated in the owners manual.

Works amazingly well for most situations.

What are the interior materials? Are the seats all leather or is the perforated part a different material? What is the covering of the steering wheel. I see the upper dashboard is a rubbery feeling plastic and lower part leather. Asking in order to know what cleaning products to use.

I prefer not to slather toxic cleaning chemicals all over my interior. I stick with water and towels most of the time, and solvent (pure alcohol) when necessary. The steering wheel is leather covered in all models. The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.

Last edited:
Works amazingly well for most situations.

I don't see the need to slather toxic cleaning chemicals all over my interior. I stick with water and towels most of the time, and solvent (pure alcohol) when necessary. The steering wheel is leather covered in all models. The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.

I'd like some kind of protectorant after it's been cleaned. Temperature extremes and sunlight make for a harsh environment.

That's fair. I'm installing ceramic tint soon which does reduce interior heat and sunlight inside the cabin. I have the black cloth seats. I also installed the Mazda OEM all weather mats and cargo mat which are high quality, thick, and easy to clean.

I need to get off my butt and have my windows tinted.

I actually took the Weathertech mats (front/back/cargo) to the dealer with me when I picked up my car, so the carpet has never seen my heels.

I've cleaned my interior but have not tested any cleaner/preservative. A few folks here have recommended Mother's VLR. I'd try it on an inconspicuous spot. The dash material is a little weird. I've never seen anything so sponge-like in a car.

The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.

How can one easily nondestructively determine the difference between leather and vinyl? And is that what "leatherette" is?

I need to get off my butt and have my windows tinted.

I actually took the Weathertech mats (front/back/cargo) to the dealer with me when I picked up my car, so the carpet has never seen my heels.

I've cleaned my interior but have not tested any cleaner/preservative. A few folks here have recommended Mother's VLR. I'd try it on an inconspicuous spot. The dash material is a little weird. I've never seen anything so sponge-like in a car.

I've used Aerospace 303 on my 2019 Reserve with no ill effects. More as a protector than as a cleaner.

Just use Aerospace 303 protectant on all the non-gloss surfaces. No need to treat them each differently. Anything that is truly dirty can just be wiped with a wet rag before applying 303.

How can one easily nondestructively determine the difference between leather and vinyl? And is that what "leatherette" is?

Best way is to look at the grain. Natural leather has variable grain. Yes, leatherette is vinyl.

Even most 100k cars will use vinyl leatherette on the lower soft touch surfaces. You really have to step up to something like a Bentley to get an entire leather interior and it's kinda built in to the price.

Best way is to look at the grain. Natural leather has variable grain. Yes, leatherette is vinyl.

Even most 100k cars will use vinyl leatherette on the lower soft touch surfaces. You really have to step up to something like a Bentley to get an entire leather interior and it's kinda built in to the price.

Thanks! I'll have to put on my reading glasses and look a little closer. ;)

Back