Another tire option for 19" wheels

Badgerbass

:
2016 cx5
While looking for tire options for my wife's 2016 grand touring I found a set of Radar Dimax AS-8's. They were about $90 each through Simpletire and Walmart. I had never heard of the brand but they had over 500 reviews online and averaged around 4.5 stars. Ordered them up from Simpletire and had them shipped to Tires Plus for install. The clerk at Tires Plus made a crack that he had never heard of the brand, and he wasn't sure about them.

Fast forward 3 weeks and two snow falls and I couldn't be happier!! Great traction, look good, and a quiet ride.

Sure I could have spent twice as much, but at this point I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:
While looking for tire options for my wife's 2016 grand touring I found a set of Radar Dimax AS-8's. They were about $90 each through Simpletire and Walmart. I had never heard of the brand but they had over 500 reviews online and averaged around 4.5 stars.
Nice find. Itd be a good option if any CX-5 owners wanting a good set of low priced 225/55R19 tires. Can you tell us what is the country of origin on this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire, and how much was the shipping youd paid for?

My uncle put Radar Dimax tires on his Tacoma. Not a fan of the sidewall design but he says they're a great tire for the money.

Tires are manfactured by Omni United which appears to be a Singapore company that's been around since 2006.

http://omni-united.com/brands/radar/

Shipping from Simpletire is free
Thanks for the info. At a little over 30K miles, its also about time for our CX-5 to get a new set of 19 tires replacing OE Toyo A23s. My thinking is toward General AltiMax RT43 225/55R19 99H. But for only about a half of the price and good reviews, I may actually consider this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire. Ill check my Discount Tire and see if they can order this tire for me.

Although Omni United is located in Singapore but its tires are manufactured in 8 locations across 3 countries. If you dont mind can you check where are your Radar tires made? The info is on the label sticking the tread when you received the tires, and also on the sidewall if youre willing to look for it.

Did check with my Discount Tire and they cant get Radar Dimax AS-8 tire although they told me before they can order any tires I want for me. My DT would charge $32 per tire for one-time installation without any warranty with my own tires, but $20 per tire including lifetime balance with their tires. Looks like the cheapest way to get Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires is to do online order from WalMart for $86.24 each plus sales tax, or $92.97 each from Simple Tire (without sales tax?) and take them to Costco for one-time installation for $15 each.

Did check with my Discount Tire and they can*t get Radar Dimax AS-8 tire although they told me before they can order any tires I want for me. My DT would charge $32 per tire for one-time installation without any warranty with my own tires, but $20 per tire including lifetime balance with their tires. Looks like the cheapest way to get Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires is to do online order from WalMart for $86.24 each plus sales tax, or $92.97 each from Simple Tire (without sales tax?) and take them to Costco for one-time installation for $15 each.
Will the Plano Costco install tires from another vendor?
When I asked in the past, the one I use in Austin declined to perform the service.

Will the Plano Costco install tires from another vendor?
When I asked in the past, the one I use in Austin declined to perform the service.
Yes, I checked a Costco in North Dallas and one in West Plano, both told me they can do one-time tire installation for take-in tires. $15 each including new valve stem、and tire balancing is the same as buying the tires from them, but no further free tire services such as tire rotation、flat repair、and tire balancing.

If you check on simpletire they'll list installers in your area that they have deals in place with.
Thanks for the info. Id use Costco for installation if I decide to get Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V. Some people would happy to get this V-rated tires for CX-5 GT as many others are H-rated, and AS-8 is rated as Extra Load with 103 load index instead of OEs 99, which makes the tire heavier.

The Radars on my wife's car were made in Thailand
Thats what I thought. Thailand produces a lot of crude rubber, and many name-brand tire manufactures have tire plant there.

As a dirt and street rider I go through about 2 tires a month, dirt bike tires need to be soft rubber for rocky condiiton to grab well. They wear fast but can be bought cheap in off brands. Higher price brands can be somewhat soft and still wear well. Street tires have varying compounds, softer to a point tend to grip better but wear fast. Sort of general rule is good grip poor wear with regard to the compound. Trend pattern can mitigate this somewhat when suited to purpose. Anyway- I am fan of lower cost tires if you can mount and balance yourself. Lets say a low cost tire and a higher one at nearly double the cost to compare. Higher price will wear better but you are driving around a LOT longer on mostly wore out tire. If you can time your mileaage on cheaper faster wearing tire for to end its wear cycle as spring approaches all the better.
Please update this thread and give us an update and projection at 10K or so of use.

Update on my previous post...about 8,000 miles since tire install. Tires wearing even with no vibration and minimal road noise. Installed in October and went through a terrible Wisconsin winter with lots of snow, sleet and rain and performed well. I can honestly say they were a great purchase!

Back