Mazda Impressions and Review

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
I can tell the brand is working hard and developing their luxury image after severing ties with Ford and their successful partnership. It is great to see Mazda finally achieving what they wanted with the Amati Japanese-luxury fighting brand they proposed in 1990. unfortunately they just did not have the money to start a seperate luxury brand like acura, nissan and lexus back then.

Mazda has stepped up their automatic transmission and overall drivetrain tuning game BIG-TIME with the skyactiv design transmissions. the previous generation 5 speed auto used in the 4 cylinder mazda's was an apalling transmission to say the least. the newest mazda cx-5 continues to ride on the original G chassis and revised skyactiv version of the L engine they had from before, but everything is very well designed together and still class-competitive without a doubt. mazda's drivetrain and chassis tuning is excellent. above all, my favourite two things about the car is the 2.5L engine which revs and produces torque wonderfully while being efficient and making a great sound, and the steering. I cannot think of any other 2015 model car that is this involving to drive period.

Now that they have improved the interiors in the newer cars (addressing my only complaint) they have really shaped up to become quite the brand. If they could improve two more things, it would be stiffer suspension (less body roll) and most importantly do something with the stock open differential, which is crap. that thing needs to go.

Now that they have improved the interiors in the newer cars (addressing my only complaint) they have really shaped up to become quite the brand. If they could improve two more things, it would be stiffer suspension (less body roll)

They softened the suspension this time around after complaints from previous owners who said it was too stiff.

They softened the suspension this time around after complaints from previous owners who said it was too stiff.

I would love to see Mazda take it to the next step by offering luxury and sport suspensions. hopefully they will also figure out how to improve the ride without sacrificing body roll. The car seems to feel very firm and responsive when you corner it within its limits, but the soft suspension and open differential because apparent when you start to push it. The chassis itself has some serious potential with those two setbacks sorted out so I'm still optimistic about some sort of performance model.

I heard they are offering a signature trim level with their new cars once skyactiv 2 is released. I'm looking forward to see if the new engine will have the power many of us have been wanting.

Lastly, I feel like an 8 speed transmission would do wonders for the current Mazda engines given the nature of their torque delivery.

All depends on cash flow from Toyota. Currently they aren't big enough to justify the expense of different features. But Toyota's stake might change this

Got a rental chevy cruze. I hate Ted Cruze even more now. bad ergonomics good mpg and crappy transmission. Add in the irritating start/stop. Upon return parked it behind a Mazda 6. Now that's a great car

They've been stuck at under 2% market share since the early 90s. Their customer retention is near the bottom in the industry. I don't see either of these improving anytime soon when they continue to ignore what their customers want, simple things like more power and CarPlay/Android Auto. Their interiors are nice, but that's not enough to grow the brand. Hell many people in this very forum alone think the new CX-5's exterior design is a downgrade from the previous generation(2016.5). I happen to agree....The new Mazda3 should be nice when it is redesigned, I'm a fan of it especially the hatch.

Just IMO of course...

Last edited:
I can tell the brand is working hard and developing their luxury image after severing ties with Ford and their successful partnership. It is great to see Mazda finally achieving what they wanted with the Amati Japanese-luxury fighting brand they proposed in 1990. unfortunately they just did not have the money to start a seperate luxury brand like acura, nissan and lexus back then.

Mazda has stepped up their automatic transmission and overall drivetrain tuning game BIG-TIME with the skyactiv design transmissions. the previous generation 5 speed auto used in the 4 cylinder mazda's was an apalling transmission to say the least. the newest mazda cx-5 continues to ride on the original G chassis and revised skyactiv version of the L engine they had from before, but everything is very well designed together and still class-competitive without a doubt. mazda's drivetrain and chassis tuning is excellent. above all, my favourite two things about the car is the 2.5L engine which revs and produces torque wonderfully while being efficient and making a great sound, and the steering. I cannot think of any other 2015 model car that is this involving to drive period.

Now that they have improved the interiors in the newer cars (addressing my only complaint) they have really shaped up to become quite the brand. If they could improve two more things, it would be stiffer suspension (less body roll) and most importantly do something with the stock open differential, which is crap. that thing needs to go.

It's very profound (until you get to the pointless opinion about the diff) but where are you going with this thread? Is it opinion or is there a question?

It's very profound (until you get to the pointless opinion about the diff) but where are you going with this thread? Is it opinion or is there a question?

Maybe little from column a, a little from column b...

You mean SUV under $28,000 USD starting price, yes? Seriously, yes?

They've been stuck at under 2% market share since the early 90s. Their customer retention is near the bottom in the industry. I don't see either of these improving anytime soon when they continue to ignore what their customers want, simple things like more power and CarPlay/Android Auto. Their interiors are nice, but that's not enough to grow the brand. Hell many people in this very forum alone think the new CX-5's exterior design is a downgrade from the previous generation(2016.5). I happen to agree....The new Mazda3 should be nice when it is redesigned, I'm a fan of it especially the hatch.

Just IMO of course...

Well those people need to get their eyes checked. The facelifted cx-5 looks amazing to me.

I think Mazda should continue to focus on delivering driving dynamics and a more powerful engine rather then some nonsense like apple CarPlay, which deliberately isn't being used so apple can't gather information from the cars.

Well it started a conversation about what others think about these cars which is exactly what I was trying to do.

Like I said in the other thread, if you drive aggressively, the diff is a BIG set-back. Mazda should at least offer some sort of sport package suspension and limited slip for their customers that enjoy driving.

You mean SUV under $28,000 USD starting price, yes? Seriously, yes?

Yes of course. I was using entry level vehicles like nisssn Toyota Honda in this comparison which the Mazda trumps all of them.

I was mainly talking about the Mazda 6 in this write up since I owe one. That's also the best driving vehicle in its class.

Well those people need to get their eyes checked. The facelifted cx-5 looks amazing to me.

Speak for yourself (just as I speak for myself only).

New CX-5 loses original Kodo design, front end is a chicken wire grill with a weird overhang of the hood, and the side profile is boring due to lack of swoop.

I am seeing more and more 2017's out on the road now, and the more I see them, the more I dislike the exterior design. It's not unique anymore. Looks like every other freaking CUV now to me. And don't get me started on the added chrome (hate it).

Edit: I love, love, LOVE my CX-5. I therefore am sad to say I would never buy one that looks like a 2017 personally. It's just not for me.

Last edited:

Just IMO of course...

You mock our 2017's but yet you drive that ugly thing called a CRV. You hate Mazda so much, yet here you are.

On a side note, while I think some early model CX5's look dated, the 2016 and 2016.5 look really nice.

Last edited:

New CX-5 loses original Kodo design, front end is a chicken wire grill with a weird overhang of the hood, and the side profile is boring due to lack of swoop.

I am seeing more and more 2017's out on the road now, and the more I see them, the more I dislike the exterior design. It's not unique anymore. Looks like every other freaking CUV now to me. And don't get me started on the added chrome (hate it).

Edit: I love, love, LOVE my CX-5. I therefore am sad to say I would never buy one that looks like a 2017 personally. It's just not for me.

LOL. I was out with my wife last night and a 2017 pulled up next to our 2016 at a traffic light and I mentioned the 17 next to us. She notice the front end as we pulled away and asked what happen to it? That the front looked broken. Told her it was the new redesign, she said not for us after this one.

I've seen it in person. Meh. It's not as bad as in pictures (to me), but yes, it gave up Kodo.

You mock our 2017's but yet you drive that ugly thing called a CRV. You hate Mazda so much, yet here you are.

On a side note, while I think some early model CX5's look dated, the 2016 and 2016.5 look really nice.

If we stop quoting him, it will help. ;)

I actually prefer my honeycomb grill to the 2016 grill personally. Different strokes and all that I guess. I do think the 2016 has better looking rear lights though (see 7eregrine's avatar).

LOL. I was out with my wife last night and a 2017 pulled up next to our 2016 at a traffic light and I mentioned the 17 next to us. She notice the front end as we pulled away and asked what happen to it? That the front looked broken. Told her it was the new redesign, she said not for us after this one.

Similar thing happened to me. I pointed out a silver 2017 stopped next to us at an intersection, and girlfriend thought it was ugly. To be fair though, she's not much for my CX-5 either. She likes boxy cars like mini coopers.

I've seen it in person. Meh. It's not as bad as in pictures (to me), but yes, it gave up Kodo.

I finally saw a black one in person and I hated it. The chrome under the windows, the front end, it just did not work for me.

Yep, Kodo design died with the 2017.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The 2017 model looks perfectly fine to me and far more upscale then whatever it replaced. I would choose the 2017 model for the interior alone anyways.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The 2017 model looks perfectly fine to me and far more upscale then whatever it replaced. I would choose the 2017 model for the interior alone anyways.

Too much chrome. It's like Mazda was mad the Honda has a better engine, so they tried to have a chrome-war because that's cheap and easy.

Too much chrome. It's like Mazda was mad the Honda has a better engine, so they tried to have a chrome-war because that's cheap and easy.

But all of the newer mazdas have chrome?

If you painted all the chrome around the car gloss black that would look awesome as hell, not gonna lie?

And you can't be serious about the comment win the engine. Are you talking about mazdas NA 2.5 VS hondas 2.4?

The Mazda makes more torque at a lower rpm and the same amount of HP at a lower rpm. It doesn't rev as high as the Honda, but it's got far better grunt in its perfectly reasonable operating range.

I've driven the Accord and 6 side by side before buying the 6, and the response of the engine paired to the dull CVT in the Accord is just no comparison for mazdas drivetrain, which is overall far more useable as a daily driver.

But all of the newer mazdas have chrome?

If you painted all the chrome around the car gloss black that would look awesome as hell, not gonna lie?

And you can't be serious about the comment win the engine. Are you talking about mazdas NA 2.5 VS hondas 2.4?

The Mazda makes more torque at a lower rpm and the same amount of HP at a lower rpm. It doesn't rev as high as the Honda, but it's got far better grunt in its perfectly reasonable operating range.

I've driven the Accord and 6 side by side before buying the 6, and the response of the engine paired to the dull CVT in the Accord is just no comparison for mazdas drivetrain, which is overall far more useable as a daily driver.

I'm talking about their 1.5L T that makes more power, and gets much better mileage on the highway, and similar in town. Say what you want about the CVT, this is a vehicle about utility, efficiency, etc. The sales numbers show us this time and time again. If you're buying it because it's engaging, you're an outlier.

My 2015 Type S ///R Mazdaspeed CX5 has no chrome. It's a racecar. (you won't get the reference unless you search from 2015 threads)

I'm talking about their 1.5L T that makes more power, and gets much better mileage on the highway, and similar in town. Say what you want about the CVT, this is a vehicle about utility, efficiency, etc. The sales numbers show us this time and time again. If you're buying it because it's engaging, you're an outlier.

Oh, totally agree with quoted statement.

From an enthusiasts, perspective, I just couldn't live with a cvt.

Mazda is coming after Honda with skyactiv 2 though :)

Back