Traction Control System

:
2018 CX 5 TOURING
Looking for advice on the use of TCS on my '18 CX 5.

Specifically, under what conditions, or in what scenarios would you turn TCS off and why?

Thanks much for your help.

Fred in Denver

If one is so inclined, basically you can turn it off on a normal road where you know that the surface is not slippery and you won't be trying to perform a sudden standing start acceleration.

Anytime you want max acceleration on dry road because tcs can pull power if a small dip or road imperfsection causes a wheel speed difference. Also in manual mode doing wot shifting can trigger it. Of course tire grip factors in too. In the wet under hard acceleration tsc may also limit rpms and lose you acceleration. You'd have to see how your car acts with its tire setup and how you drive to decide if tcs is coming on when you don't want it

Sorry, I was thinking more in terms of challenging weather / road situations - deep snow, ice, off road, slippery hills, etc.

Apparently I'm the only one that remembers this? Probably because I was annoyed it's only for the new gen. Turning off TCS should only be done for real off road conditions.

"In any other situation, we want the traction control system to apply the brakes as smoothly as possible, so theres no interruption in the drivers control of the car. But in situations where an abrupt power shift is necessarylike this diagonal twist off-road situationpressing the TCS OFF button actually switches the CX-5 to a mode that simulates locking differentials via the brakes, sending power to the wheels on the ground."

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/th...2017-mazda-cx-5-unlocks-secret-off-road-mode/

Looking for advice on the use of TCS on my '18 CX 5.

Specifically, under what conditions, or in what scenarios would you turn TCS off and why?

Thanks much for your help.

Fred in Denver

TSC off when going up a hill on very loose surfaces so it doesn't cut power and kill momentum. The CX5 is NOT bad about it, though, like other vehicles/manufacturers, and I've never found myself turning it off in my CX5.

Apparently I'm the only one that remembers this? Probably because I was annoyed it's only for the new gen. Turning off TCS should only be done for real off road conditions.

"In any other situation, we want the traction control system to apply the brakes as smoothly as possible, so there*s no interruption in the driver*s control of the car. But in situations where an abrupt power shift is necessary*like this diagonal twist off-road situation*pressing the *TCS OFF* button actually switches the CX-5 to a mode that simulates locking differentials via the brakes, sending power to the wheels on the ground."

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/th...2017-mazda-cx-5-unlocks-secret-off-road-mode/

I found that last statement to be useless. Tried it on my drive-way and it was "reactive" just the way it always is. No difference.

Anytime you want max acceleration on dry road because tcs can pull power if a small dip or road imperfsection causes a wheel speed difference. Also in manual mode doing wot shifting can trigger it. Of course tire grip factors in too. In the wet under hard acceleration tsc may also limit rpms and lose you acceleration. You'd have to see how your car acts with its tire setup and how you drive to decide if tcs is coming on when you don't want it

I've had it do this on WOT, wet pavement. It wasn't bad though, felt more like poorly tuned PTM. Kudos to Mazda on this.

If you're in snow and you're stuck, turn it off.

Learned a lot from this post. used to think when car is stuck in snow, when traction is badly needed, one has to make sure TCS must be on (although I always have it on). So it's the other way, when you need traction most, turn it off.

Not that we take the CX5 onto the sand, but for beach driving here in modern 4WD vehicles, when driving on soft sand, you do need to turn traction control off, otherwise it tries to prevent wheels spinning and you lose momentum and get bogged.

I imagine that soft or slippery snow where all traction is lost it would be the same.

Not that we take the CX5 onto the sand, but for beach driving here in modern 4WD vehicles, when driving on soft sand, you do need to turn traction control off, otherwise it tries to prevent wheels spinning and you lose momentum and get bogged.

I imagine that soft or slippery snow where all traction is lost it would be the same.
I've been wanting to do that, but was afraid to. Didn't think the CX5 had what it took. We go down to the southern islands of the Outer Banks and there's a lot to see away from the roads. Saw a Subaru out there once, didn't look like he was having much success.

I've been wanting to do that, but was afraid to. Didn't think the CX5 had what it took. We go down to the southern islands of the Outer Banks and there's a lot to see away from the roads. Saw a Subaru out there once, didn't look like he was having much success.

The thing that stops you is the ground clearance of these midsized SUV type vehicles. Deep soft sand will very quickly have you beached or will rip the front bumper off.

Over here, the issue is generally getting onto and off the beach, the soft sand gets turned over and creates foot deep ruts. Getting off the beach means going uphill which is even more difficult and requires a decent run-up and typically, low range 2nd gear even in a 4WD.

Once you are onto the hard sand near the water or wider hard areas at low tide, any 2WD car can drive on that without any issues.

For those reasons, not worth trying in deep soft sand!

I have had to turn it off climbing steeper grades on logging roads with loose rock. A little spinning is not a bad thing, sometimes.

If you feel like you aren't getting full traction... remember... counterintuitive but some slight brake pressure with throttle. This will help force more power to the wheel with grip as the spinning wheel gets braked.

Also, in the sand you should deflate your tires down to about 20 pounds, increases your tire's footprint and keeps ypou from digging ruts.

If you feel like you aren't getting full traction... remember... counterintuitive but some slight brake pressure with throttle. This will help force more power to the wheel with grip as the spinning wheel gets braked.

What you're describing is what I understand TCS does without the driver's intervention. Are you saying that applying pressure to the brake pedal does not apply braking pressure equally to each wheel when one or more have less traction?

Latest posts

Back