'90 1.6L to '99 1.8L Swap (500 Mile Review 4/30/07)

pluto316 said:
I had a bad temp sensor all along.

The duct tape adds horsepower.
Camo = awesome. Digging the valve cover with the cam gears uncovered.
Are you worried about little things (i.e rocks/dirt etc.) getting in there or between the teeth? I think it looks cool as hell though....do you just remove the cover or what?

Power is awsome and I can't stop driving the car! However, it turns out that I've had my VICS actuation backwards this whole time - I just noticed it tonight. oops!

Compression test yielded 218-218-218-216 (1-2-3-4). Sweeeet.

However, I'm not happy with the consumption of 2 quarts of oil every 500 miles. I'll have to investigate this further.

Furthermore, I think the oil burning has been messing with my WBO2 readings. The logs show that i've been hitting my targets, but the plugs indicate the engine to have been running pretty lean. ARGGGG
(cool)
Daaaaaaamn...2 quarts ftl. BTW, how is that WB working out for you? And which one did you go with?

I cut the cover with a grinding wheel in a circular saw. Rocks and dirt are good for the cam gears, it makes them rugged.

pluto316 said:
I cut the cover with a grinding wheel in a circular saw. Rocks and dirt are good for the cam gears, it makes them rugged.
Ha ha....(attn) This is DEF not the place I'd want to pull it off here.
I may create a clear case from plexiglass. It's worth a shot. You can still see it....just with out things being able to get in there. :)

JDM-P5 said:
Daaaaaaamn...2 quarts ftl. BTW, how is that WB working out for you? And which one did you go with?

Innovate Motorsports LC-1 is the systme I'm using. It works fine, but tuning is a pain ATM since it's reading the burned oil as rich.

kcbhiw said:
Innovate Motorsports LC-1 is the systme I'm using. It works fine, but tuning is a pain ATM since it's reading the burned oil as rich.
I was reading about them over at *name witheld*...:p
Anywho...I may purchase one this Summer....shoot...I know I'll need one sooner-or-later. :)

JDM-P5 said:
I was reading about them over at *name witheld*...:p
Anywho...I may purchase one this Summer....shoot...I know I'll need one sooner-or-later. :)

diyautotune.com is your friend. He's a local guy that sells a bunch of MS stuff in addition to the LC1. I've spoken with him a bit. Lots of good stuff to offer.

kcbhiw said:
diyautotune.com is your friend. He's a local guy that sells a bunch of MS stuff in addition to the LC1. I've spoken with him a bit. Lots of good stuff to offer.
Yeah...I was referring to another site...which discussing/mentioning is against teh rules.
I will check out that site Kev....
Yeah...I was looking at Innovative...best bang for buck.
http://diyautotune.com/catalog/wideband-systems-c-23.html
Which one did you get?

Last edited:
JDM-P5 said:
Which one did you get?
As stated, the LC1. You'll obviously want the one that comes with the sensor.

Captain KRM P5 said:
subbing as we are doing this swap into a customer's car next week

Let me know if I can help in any way.

kcbhiw said:
As stated, the LC1. You'll obviously want the one that comes with the sensor.
Duuuur...I meant the digital display or just the sensor & regular gauge?

JDM-P5 said:
Duuuur...I meant the digital display or just the sensor & regular gauge?

I don't use a gauge as it's pretty much useless (can't drive and watch it at the same time). So I just use the sensor and controller and have one of the controller's outputs tied directly to the MS for feedback.

nice work. keep us posted.

and thanks for that witchhunter link...i'll bet my 234,000-mile injectors could benefit from a good cleaning. and $17/each is a frickin steal.

Leak Down Test Results

Instead of purchasing a pricy leak down tester, much less, paying some one else to touch my car and test it themselves, I of course built my own leak down tester :). The total cost was about $50.

The results are as follows (at operating temp):

1- 2% (Good)
2- 3% (Good)
3- 3% (Good)
4- 15% (OUCH!)

As one would deduce, cylinders 1-3 seem almost perfect (<= 5% is acceptible for a street engine). Something is seriously wrong with the #4 rings. I'm going to try a bit of "snake oil" and see what happens. It can't hurt at this point.

Heh, my build thread has turned into a how do I fix this thread (uhm) .

dmitrik4 said:
nice work. keep us posted.

and thanks for that witchhunter link...i'll bet my 234,000-mile injectors could benefit from a good cleaning. and $17/each is a frickin steal.

You can't beat his prices. From the time I sent them out, I had them back in 5 business days. It certainly won't hurt those 234k mile injectors :).

aMaff said:
a HIW thread? Hmmmm

haha, you know it. I believe so much in HIW, I use it in my SN. <- slogan worthy almost.

Hope
It
Works

Kevin,
Have you been keeping track of the COP thread over in MT? May give the CS car that much more of an advantage.

Kevin,
Have you been keeping track of the COP thread over in MT? May give the CS car that much more of an advantage.

I haven't been keeping up with it, but I plan to do some sort of COP installation in the off season. I agree and think it will help significantly.

linky? I've seen mentions to it but haven't tracked down the thread itself yet.

Back