'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

New CX-9 owner here who was sorry to learn that remote start isn*t offered from the factory, but was relieved to read about this being an affordable option. One question about it... How does this remote start integrate with the HVAC climate system? Does it automatically turn on when the remote start is activated? My F150 does this and it will automatically turn on either the AC or the heater, depending on the outside temperature. Is the CX-9 the same?

New CX-9 owner here who was sorry to learn that remote start isn*t offered from the factory, but was relieved to read about this being an affordable option. One question about it... How does this remote start integrate with the HVAC climate system? Does it automatically turn on when the remote start is activated? My F150 does this and it will automatically turn on either the AC or the heater, depending on the outside temperature. Is the CX-9 the same?

So, remote start is available from Mazda. I'm not sure if you are saying it's not offered from the factory because it's dealer installed? In any case, you can get an app based remote start from Mazda for $500.

Mine does not control the HVAC system - it starts where it was last set.

Not the App. This is a new remote start just put up on Mazda's site. Operates with fob, not your phone. I know the phone app one sucks but this traditional set-up must be good and since it's from Mazda, if something goes wrong with the car it's on them.

Found it. $600 for parts alone? And $320 for a second FOB?!?!

It appears to be a two way system, which is good. But it does not appear to add any additional range than the factory fob (states 300 feet). So $1,000 without install?

They've lost their freaking mind.

Between their inability to isolate and resolve ongoing road noise issues, their active breaking of an aftermarket Android Auto solution, their inability to develop and deploy their own AA solution, and the trying to charge a grand for a half assed, poorly thought out remote start solution (after years of relying on an app that didn't work) make me very glad I'm on in a lease.

And there will not be another.

So, remote start is available from Mazda. I'm not sure if you are saying it's not offered from the factory because it's dealer installed? In any case, you can get an app based remote start from Mazda for $500.

Mine does not control the HVAC system - it starts where it was last set.

Yes I meant that Mazda does not offer it as a factory installed option. Only dealer installed AFAIK.

Found it. $600 for parts alone? And $320 for a second FOB?!?!

It appears to be a two way system, which is good. But it does not appear to add any additional range than the factory fob (states 300 feet). So $1,000 without install?

They've lost their freaking mind.

Between their inability to isolate and resolve ongoing road noise issues, their active breaking of an aftermarket Android Auto solution, their inability to develop and deploy their own AA solution, and the trying to charge a grand for a half assed, poorly thought out remote start solution (after years of relying on an app that didn't work) make me very glad I'm on in a lease.

And there will not be another.

I didn't notice all that other pricing. All the site says that I'm seeing is below. Granted it is with the one fob.

A/T TRANS ONLY. 1 REMOTE START KEY FOB INCLUDED. REQUIRES INSTALL KIT. CX-5/MAZDA6 VEHICLES WITHOUT FACTORY ALARM REQUIRE HOOD SWITCH. MAZDA3 VEHICLES W/2TE PKG DO NOT REQUIRE SWITCH...................................$382.05

INSTALL KIT......................................................$79.95

Just over $460 installed. Seems reasonable for a dealer installed remote start which will always be more than an independent shop install.

I didn't notice all that other pricing. All the site says that I'm seeing is below. Granted it is with the one fob.

A/T TRANS ONLY. 1 REMOTE START KEY FOB INCLUDED. REQUIRES INSTALL KIT. CX-5/MAZDA6 VEHICLES WITHOUT FACTORY ALARM REQUIRE HOOD SWITCH. MAZDA3 VEHICLES W/2TE PKG DO NOT REQUIRE SWITCH...................................$382.05

INSTALL KIT......................................................$79.95

Just over $460 installed. Seems reasonable for a dealer installed remote start which will always be more than an independent shop install.

You're right....

Somehow I started on the '18 CX-9 Accesories page and ended up on the 2014 CX-5 page or something?!?!

I just ordered this for my new car i pick up tomorrow, just curious if anyone has done a full walk through. I've never done any electric stuff on cars before so should be interesting.... lol

I ended up going on YouTube, someone was kind enough to already do a whole walk through and breakdown how to install this remote start, it legit is a piece of cake. Took about 30 minutes total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_-iqE_sbQY&t=53s

I am curious for others that have installed the unit. I am able to get in my car push the "push to start" one time and then drive, but the "push to start" button will keep flashing a orange color while I drive, is this normal? Just curious because if I DO NOT use the Fortin, and just start the car normally the "push to start" doesn't blink at all.

Last edited:
Someone else had this problem due to defective thar maz3 harness. My own harness came with a loose wire inserting into one of the connectors. Would ask for an exchange.

I am curious for others that have installed the unit. I am able to get in my car push the "push to start" one time and then drive, but the "push to start" button will keep flashing a orange color while I drive, is this normal? Just curious because if I DO NOT use the Fortin, and just start the car normally the "push to start" doesn't blink at all.
Nope not normal, I second calling Crutchfield support.

I finally installed mine. After one failed attempt, I eventually figured out my issue. It was a setting in the remote start part of the software. The instructions are cluttered and... well quite awful. I called Crutchfield. They were no help. The video linked in here was the most help, but had I set the 38.2 IIRC setting the first time, I*d have been fine the first time.

A few of you mention updating the firmware. Does this require a PC?
I ask because I use Chromebooks which are limited for such things so may need to resurrect one of my old machines.
Thanks.

I ask because I use Chromebooks which are limited for such things so may need to resurrect one of my old machines.
Thanks.

Yes. You need to install the software.

Thanks.

Yes what you want to do is install the software on the computer or laptop. Then create an account and connect the flash updater to the computer/laptop and then go ahead and connect the fortin evo-maz unit and update it. Then do the actual install of the evo-maz unit

Just installed the Fortin EVO-ONE with the plug and play harness. It doesn't get any easier than this folks. Before installing I did the following:
1) Cut the yellow loop wire on the EVO-ONE to set the unit for an Automatic vehicle.
2) Created a Fortin account...you need to do this to use the Flash Link software, which you will need to update the Firmware of the EVO-ONE and to set particular options if needed.
3) Updated the Firmware of the EVO-ONE with the Flash Link software.
4) From the Flash Link software I select the make/model/year of my vehicle, then proceeded to load the recommended settings and saved them back to the EVO-ONE...do this for both the Bypass Tab and Remote Starter tab.
5) For Bypass tab verified options C1 and D2 were both on, per page 1 of the THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T Harness instructions. On Remote Starter tab verified option 38 was set to 38.2 (use factory keyfob and press 3x to start). If you need to change these options be sure to save back to the EVO-ONE.

After the firmware update and verifying / saving the above options, I then installed the T Harness, then followed instructions for the Dycryptor process to program the OEM remote. Installed the EVO-ONE back in the vehicle and it worked as advertised.

The only hint I can give is the 3x to start needs to be 3 medium speed presses. If you press the lock button 3x too fast it doesn't register, so slow it down just a bit. Merry Christmas to my wife, she's was asking for remote start from day one, but I refused to buy the piece or crap Mazda offered App solution at the time.

Last edited:
Hey Guys. Where do you guys put the Fortin EVO ONE box after you install? Are there any lo0se wires hanging out after install? Can one of you please post picture of where you anchored the EVO box?

Regards,

- ash

Hey Guys, I also installed evo one a month ago and forgot to mention that if you dont like the car to honk twice (on the second two presses) you can change it to lock-unlock-lock combination. This way there is no honking and it starts quietly.

Back