Daytime running lights dim/flickering

The E-code headlights (European specification) have better light pattern and cut-off than that the North American headlights regulated by DOT. That's why you see different part numbers between your E-code LED headlights and US LED headlights.

You definitely don't want older C/D version of LED headlights as their DRLs will fail in several years due to either a bad design or poor quality parts introduced (IMO, both). If money is no object, you'd want the latest "J" version which should have better longevity.

My friend, We can not do anything ?. Mazda Corp. not assumes his mistake?

Thank you.

And in the US, it's... anyone?... I didn't think so.

DRL=H/L low
For US gen-1 CX-5 15A fuse #51 is for Daytime running lights. For gen-2 CX-5 DRL fuse is nowhere can be found.

Well, both my DRL are flickering and dealership quoted me about 2 grand to fix both. I didnt buy the car from them but have gotten it serviced there for all 7 oil changes/ tire rotations but I dont blame them for not picking up the tab right away.

The women wasnt surprised though, and recommended I call mazda and said they will work with mazda to get it covered. Fingers crossed. No way I am spending two grand on this.

Any tips on complaining to mazda?

Well, both my DRL are flickering and dealership quoted me about 2 grand to fix both. I didnt buy the car from them but have gotten it serviced there for all 7 oil changes/ tire rotations but I dont blame them for not picking up the tab right away.

The women wasnt surprised though, and recommended I call mazda and said they will work with mazda to get it covered. Fingers crossed. No way I am spending two grand on this.

Any tips on complaining to mazda?
Not much we can help as you're in the mercy of Mazda North American Operations right now. If you can do good sales talk you may get a little more compensation for headlight replacement and it may also depend on how far over your new car warranty is. Try to read this long thread backwards and you should get more ideas. You can always disable your LED DRLs discussed above, if you can't get much from MNAO.

A friend of mine who took my recommendation got a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech. His DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was only willing to cover the most and he'd have to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles. He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering, and he swore he'd never buy another Mazda although he had bought two. Yeah he bought a Lexus instead of another Mazda.

And again, your friend is an idiot refusing a $2000 discount....
I'll show them, I'll drive around with faulty lights so people don't buy Mazdas... when instead people are thinking Moron , get your lights fixed... " #backfire #idiot
LOL

Last edited:
And again, your friend is an idiot refusing a $2000 discount....
I'll show them, I'll drive around with faulty lights so people don't buy Mazdas... when instead people are thinking Moron , get your lights fixed... " #backfire #idiot
LOL
Can't blame him.

To him it's not the $2,000 discount, but $400 out of his pocket for something he doesn't need. Especially when he learned some people here got FREE replacement with 60K+ miles at the time, but his CX-5 had only 20K miles and 37 months old!

In the end it's a loss to Mazda. He traded in his old Mazda6 and got a Lexus ES although he originally was considering another Mazda6.

Hi guys, I am having the same issues, driver's side daytime running lights started flickering. I have a 2016 CX-5 Grant Touring with 2 packages (forgot what they are called, radar cruize control, lane departure, dimming read view mirror, heated leather seats, etc). This is 2016.0, not 2016.5

So now I found this thread and it looks like I need to read 360 posts to catch up. Car was bought in May 2016, we just noticed this in June 2016, the lights may have been flickering while under warranty but we didn't notice.

$1200 to replace one side is not acceptable.

Can't blame him.

To him it's not the $2,000 discount, but $400 out of his pocket for something he doesn't need. Especially when he learned some people here got FREE replacement with 60K+ miles at the time, but his CX-5 had only 20K miles and 37 months old!

In the end it's a loss to Mazda. He traded in his old Mazda6 and got a Lexus ES although he originally was considering another Mazda6.
Ok I'll admit 1 month out of warranty is bulls***. It's always annoyed me that car companies only offer 3 year warranties while expecting you to take out a 5 year loan.
But I still think Mazda offering that much of a discount is very significant. I would have taken that deal out of warranty.

Hi guys, I am having the same issues, driver's side daytime running lights started flickering. I have a 2016 CX-5 Grant Touring with 2 packages (forgot what they are called, radar cruize control, lane departure, dimming read view mirror, heated leather seats, etc). This is 2016.0, not 2016.5

So now I found this thread and it looks like I need to read 360 posts to catch up. Car was bought in May 2016, we just noticed this in June 2016, the lights may have been flickering while under warranty but we didn't notice.

You don't need to read all that. Reach out to Mazda Corporate.

Ok I'll admit 1 month out of warranty is bulls***. It's always annoyed me that car companies only offer 3 year warranties while expecting you to take out a 5 year loan.
But I still think Mazda offering that much of a discount is very significant. I would have taken that deal out of warranty.
No matter how much discount, he still have to shell out $400 for something he doesn't really need. Were you still willing to pay that amount when you see people posting their story of free replacement with 60K+ miles?

I will try that. What is the best way to contact them. Phone, email, web site, fax, registered mail?

Thanks
Go to Mazda North American Operations website and find the 800 phone number for Customer Experience Center. Call them to seek help but at this stage don't expect too much from them.

I believe you should read the posts in this thread backwards to get more feels on this issue and what can you expect from MNAO.

There is probably a zero percent chance this does anything, but it seems like a bunch of people have filed complaints with the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/MAZDA/CX-5/SUV/AWD#complaints

There are 66 exterior lighting complaints currently.

There is probably a zero percent chance this does anything, but it seems like a bunch of people have filed complaints with the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/MAZDA/CX-5/SUV/AWD#complaints

There are 66 exterior lighting complaints currently.
I have been urging people who has failed LED DRLs filing a complaint at NHTSA website. But IMO chances are very slim that NHTSA would force Mazda to initiate a safety recall as DRLs are not mandatory in the US hence NHTSA won't do anything to it.

I have been urging people who has failed LED DRLs filing a complaint at NHTSA website. But IMO chances are very slim that NHTSA would force Mazda to initiate a safety recall as DRLs are not mandatory in the US hence NHTSA won't do anything to it.

I agree 100%. It at least it provides some good documentation and my only hope is that it would make it more likely for Mazda to provide voluntary relief.

In Spain (and throughout Europe) the daytime running lights (DRL) are obligatory equipment in all new vehicles sold after 2012.
We are starting to complain to get a call to review Mazda Corp. to solve the problem of designing its headlights without forcing the customer to pay for their manufacturing defects.

http://www.dgt.es/es/sistemas-seguridad-vehiculos/luces-de-circulacion-diurna/index.shtml
https://www.elmundo.es/elmundomotor/2011/02/07/seguridad/1297098024.html
https://www.clubmazdacx5.com/thread...llo-faros-luz-diurna-de-restyling-2015.10059/

I remember reading the beginning of this thread 3 years ago. Its finally happened to my wifes 2016 GT at ~53k miles.

At this point of the cars life Id be inclined to just shut off the DRLs is Mazda does not step up to the plate.

Has anybody had any luck with San Diego area dealers? I have done all the maintenance thus far so dont have any relationship with our dealer. The one we visited back when we were buying tried to use a 4 square on us. Have Mazda dealers changed yet? I know theyre trying to move upmarket and hopefully dont play those games any longer. We left and had our credit union broker the deal. We even picked the car up at our branch.

Back