2016 CX-9 heads up display data different than 2017 CX-5

Ernieb

:
2016 CX-9
My wife has the 2017 CX-5 and I noticed that the heads up display show traffic signs and also has more color. The CX-9 HUD has minimal color and no traffic sign detection. I can't imagine the hardware in the cars is all that different...wondering if anyone else has noticed this difference?

My wife has a 2017 3 and the information on the hud is, like the op said, in more color, more useful and has traffic sign detection.

My wife has the 2017 CX-5 and I noticed that the heads up display show traffic signs and also has more color. The CX-9 HUD has minimal color and no traffic sign detection. I can't imagine the hardware in the cars is all that different...wondering if anyone else has noticed this difference?

I agree, I don't believe the hardware is different. This is just software/firmware differences for sure.

I didn't know the CX-5 had HUD? Is it the flip up screen or projection?
I believe the new cx5 have the same hud like the cx9 even with more info:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...eter-cockpit-put-2017-mazda-cx-5-par-audi-bmw

Head-up display

The Active Driving Display, Mazda's term for a HUD, places all the info the driver needs just above the hood line: speed, cruise control speed, lane departure warnings, navigation instructions, and traffic signs. A HUD is unique on mainstream compact crossovers. The larger CX-9 has the same HUD. Mazda has previously offered a smaller, simpler pop-up plastic panel on the dash that displayed information.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

OP,

You may find that the new Firmware Update just out for NA N Connect 59.00.502A may correct these differences, and I have just posted a download link of new firmware...this is it..

https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/eij2ao9hsv#$/NA

Yes the new KF CX-5 has the on-screen HUD on higher spec models, the lower spec ones still have the original plastic pop up screen.

Last edited:
Sorry, this is the updated link..

https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/eij2ao9hsv#$/NA

Copy and paste in browser.. it is the last TWO Files Listed which is the latest for NA 59.00.502A or NA N

MD5 Checksum
failsafe.up: 46006213b4a7d527036f764403738f6f
reinstall.up: 37b34a7c76f000bd76c894c152daf715

As the New KF CX-5 runs the same Connect firmware number 502A, the difference in the HUD (between the KF CX-5 and TC CX-9) is therefore in the actual hardware.
I can source the actual Mazda part numbers if you wish but frankly unless you can compare the HUD side by side it is a bit of a folly as there could be incompatibilities between the two, like wiring and the mounting of. And then there is the price.

Just did a quick check on KF CX-5 HUD (Screen model), the parts numbers are KF CX-5 specific (not same as CX-9) and is a large unit which mounts inside of dash and then has the external top dash cover (which you see) and that cover is sold separately, I would assume the shape of HUD holder and it's top cover is different to CX-9, and whether or not one could remove the HUD projector unit and IF you could mount and fit in the CX-9 HUD holder is another exercise again.
For those who want to buy a KF CX-5 HUD and 'try this' you need around $800.
KF CX5 Mazda Part Numbers for HUD and Holder.....
KB7W-55-HUDC for LHD.
K123-55-HUDC for RHD models.

I expect you will see improvements in CX-9 HUD with the next model re-fresh/facelift.

/\
There are many install instructions around, you MUST follow the Mazda ones to the letter.
This guy in his Video explains it well, listen a few times and do EXACTLY what he says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGtsaeVftA

Mazda model? then I assume North America for location as you are in Canada?
Just make sure you install the correct files for your car.. In Canada case it is ONLY NA_59.00.502A for NA N.
The Two files (small Fail-safe and larger Reinstall) on clean USB Stick no larger than 12GB FAT 32 2.0 (NOT 3.0)
and both MUST be in .UP format on USB flash drive., NOT as .Zip or any other.

Attached is Mazda/MZD Connect Firmware UPDATE HOW TO instructions in .PDF...follow these to the letter, same as video.

Attachments

• MAZDA CONNECT FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS 2016.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Changelog

Here is a very recent Mazda NAO TSB on what are the changelog details between the various FIRMWARE UPDATES over the past few years..

No matter where you live the principal of Mazda Connect or MZD Connect Firmware remains true, the higher the Firmware Number string the later the firmware, or the latest. Each iteration has improvements over the previous, contrary to what some say the latest version is ALWAYS the better one to have installed...Usually the updates have bug fixes (like any App or PC updates), some has new features added (and in some cases removed, like the HUD Tachometer in TC CX-9 was removed for safety concerns, and you can't get it back).

One good thing Mazda has done is make the Firmware the same one or type for every Mazda Model, example a DJ Mazda 2 uses the same as a top of range TC CX-9 or MX-5, the only thing that MUST be observed are the correct Firmware Types for your country or region, each has specific requirements.
Like EU and ADR (4A) has DAB or DAB+ for Digital Radio Content and Tuner, North America does not have DAB but has Sirius Satellite Radio, EU and ADR does not...

To be certain on what type you have look at YT video he tells you how to find out what you are using right now.
Your Mazda Connect or MZD Connect Screen might say...
55.00.760 NA N, that is North America (NA) the N means NNG which is the Navigation software supplier.
56.00.513 EU N, that is for Europe (EU) and again the N is for NNG.
56.00.511 4A N, that is ADR for Australia, NZ, many parts of SE Asia and South America, Oceania (Pacific).
59.00.460 JP M, that is for Japan which uses Matisone navigation and is exclusive for Japan.
And there is a rare MZ for basic general use.

So in these examples the very latest and best to install is the 59.00.502A, in NA or EU Type.
Always TWO Separate .UP files their Titles look like this after downloading..
cmu150_EU_59.00.502A_failsafe.up (about 6.9 MB in size, small one)
cmu150_EU_59.00.502A_reinstall.up (about 2.7 GB in size, large file)

cmu150_NA_59.00.502A_failsafe.up (about 6.9 MB in size, small one)
cmu150_NA_59.00.502A_reinstall.up (about 886 MB in size, large file)

cmu150_ADR_56.00.513C_failsafe.up (about 6.9 MB in size, small one)
cmu150_ADR_56.00.513C_reinstall.up (about 1.85 GB in size, large file)

Main reason EU and ADR (4A) 'reinstall' files are much larger (well over twice the size) than NA ones
is because they have many more language packs than the ones in NA for North America.

So you can update if you wish or leave it to your Mazda Dealer, the files I list are EXACTLY what your Mazda Dealer use.
These are from Mazda, nowhere else.
As the BM Mazda 3 was the first to get Mazda Connect or MZD Connect, these have a TWO stage UPDATE,
ONLY, I repeat ONLY if the current files you are using right now is below version 31.00.100A on your Connect Screen.
If is is like 25.00.313 then you MUST install verion 31.00.100A and then update to 59.00.502A, called a 2 stage update.
This ONLY has to be done ONCE, then your Mazda 3 is like every other only a one stage update from then on.
They went from cmu140 to cmu150, all other Mazda Models Started with cmu150.

That is all, sorry for long rant.

Attachments

• MAZDA CONNECT INFOTAINMENT CONCERS- UPDATE.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Back