the p5nugget

Haha for future reference, what is a rubber safe grease you recommend?

I remember someone here on the forum mentioned Syl Glide to use on the caliper pins and he said it lasts for years instead of months.

I did some research and it seems like really good stuff but it's expensive and I can't seem to find it in a cartridge for a grease gun.
It might be ~$50 for a cartridge if it's available.

You could maybe pack some into a grease gun by hand ?

PS.. I found out that you aren't supposed to use silicone based lubricants with silicone based rubber or oil based grease with oil based rubber which I guess makes sense.

Last edited:
I found this too..

It sounds like Neoprene might be oil and silicone proof but I don't know what the boots are made of.

I still think Urethane is resistant to all grease.

I found some more info with another positive Syl Glide reference.
Apparently synthetic doesn't necessarily mean rubber safe...

I hope in not trashing up your thread too much, I can delete some posts if you want.

lol you went into extensive research. appreciate it. and yeah i use sil glyde for my brake hardware and wont use anything else. ive tried some other brake or caliper grease but that required me to relube every 6 months or so. wasn't about that life

I can get an 8 ounce tube for $39 but I'm gonna wait and see what my rear calipers look like first.
I got sidetracked with painting my rims and didn't get to the rear of the car yet.

My caliper grease might be doing OK. The fronts were fine I didn't really even need to regrease them.

IMG_6537-XL.jpg

IMG_6541-XL.jpg

thanks. the photos really hide a lot of imperfections. i had a feeling you'd reply with something like that since you're the master of diagrams and rust :D

Nobody masters rust.
It's always a losing battle.

I wish I could have afforded a newer car without rust to start with. Then I could have prevented it in the first place.

On a related note..
If you get your car to Krown before it's three years old, they will warranty against rust-through for the life of the car as long as you come back every year.
The warranty is even transferable to a new owner.

Last edited:
replaced both outer tie rods and both front struts. had some minty front tokico hp struts with 24k laying around so i decided to use them. front end feels more stable. i'm sad these struts are discontinued. the old struts i took out are definitely blown. their bump stops disintegrated lol. i'm using msp bump stops now since they're far superior. looks like both of my front endlinks are toast too. they have a lot of play. i'll take care of those soon.

Good luck with the front end links! Those were fun to do.. had to cut them off to swap em out lol.

Good luck with the front end links! Those were fun to do.. had to cut them off to swap em out lol.

these are aftermarket ones that allow you to get a 14mm open wrench in from the other side so you can hold it down to undo the nut. im truly grateful for that lol

these are aftermarket ones that allow you to get a 14mm open wrench in from the other side so you can hold it down to undo the nut. im truly grateful for that lol

Oh man, that definitely saved you a couple hours or so and a headache haha.
Looking good! So clean...

Or this...

I won't even attempt to unbolt my sway bar end links again.
My old ones had a hex in the stud but I twisted my Allen key into a pretzel..
Never again.

went to drop off some scrap metal at a friend's shop. look who i spotted

IMG_2707-XL.jpg

IMG_2709-XL.jpg

It sucks for me to know that when I drop off some scrap metal it will be my car itself.(bang)

Back