Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

Manual mode does not quite equate to Sport mode. You can drive the 2016 CX-5 in manual mode and it will still not be as responsive as Sport Mode + manual mode. Sport mode doesn't only keep the engine in its powerband, it also increases throttle sensitivity. With manual mode and sport mode off, you will have to step on the gas pedal more to get the car moving. As 7 has said, driving with sport mode on is like driving a different car.

Of course if you are driving at 70 mph and turn on sport mode, it won't make a difference because that's where the CX-5 is already underpowered.

So basically, Sport Mode reduces the distance my right foot travels by a few mm to achieve identical response...game changer! Now we need to compare how fast you can flip it on vs. how fast my foot can travel 2mm further...

I understand that. I am just working with what I got on my 2014. And even there without sport mode, it feels fast.
Having not driven a 2014 CX-5, I can only guess that they tuned the 2016 CX-5 throttle mapping for fuel efficiency, which makes it less responsive compared to previous models. I can say for sure that the gas pedal on the 2016 CX-5 is less responsive than the gas pedal on a 2010 Mazda3 and 2013 Mazdaspeed3. Maybe this is why they added Sport Mode for the 2016 and up models. So they can have a fuel efficient mapping and still allow drivers to have fun with the Sport Mode.

Right but what are we talking about..a 20% throttle tip in requires ~50% without it? I'm not saying I'd never use it but yeah I actually might never use it. I think it could be more useful on the highway where maybe I want a quick double or even triple kick down vs going from 6th to 5th to 4th manually. I assume sport mode would be beneficial there but again full stab in D I think I'd get a very similar result just have to invoke more throttle.
I don't have numbers for you. I just know that with Sport Mode on I don't have to press the gas pedal as much to get the car to downshift or to get it going quickly.

So basically, Sport Mode reduces the distance my right foot travels by a few mm to achieve identical response...game changer! Now we need to compare how fast you can flip it on vs. how fast my foot can travel 2mm further...
I know you've been a big critic of Sport Mode ever since and I honestly could care less what you think about it. I have it on my car and I have a use for it and do use it. You don't have it on your car and you don't think you need it, more power to you.

I know you've been a big critic of Sport Mode ever since and I honestly could care less what you think about it. I have it on my car and I have a use for it and do use it. You don't have it on your car and you don't think you need it, more power to you.

Don't let Unobtanium (piss) bother you, he is a troll or as some say, a quasi-troll. He comes in and out of troll land.

He's just a frustrated Mazda owner as he wanted an BMW or Audi but couldn't afford it so now he trolls this forum trying to relieve his frustration.

Having not driven a 2014 CX-5, I can only guess that they tuned the 2016 CX-5 throttle mapping for fuel efficiency, which makes it less responsive compared to previous models. I can say for sure that the gas pedal on the 2016 CX-5 is less responsive than the gas pedal on a 2010 Mazda3 and 2013 Mazdaspeed3. Maybe this is why they added Sport Mode for the 2016 and up models. So they can have a fuel efficient mapping and still allow drivers to have fun with the Sport Mode.

I don't know for sure one way or the other on that front, but this makes sense to me. Cheers. (drinks)

I’m not a racer but after trying out Sports Mode and manually shifting the transmission I prefer the latter. It’s all personal preference.

Don't let Unobtanium (piss) bother you, he is a troll or as some say, a quasi-troll. He comes in and out of troll land.

He's just a frustrated Mazda owner as he wanted an BMW or Audi but couldn't afford it so now he trolls this forum trying to relieve his frustration.

Couldn't and chose not to are two very different things. I probably have a CPO X5M in my budget, if you want an actual honest analysis, but I don't want to pay for one right now.

X5M, CPO and probably means its almost certainly a bad idea would be my honest analysis. Ability to execute a purchase and can reasonably afford are also 2 very different things...dammit looking for X5Ms now! More available than I would have thought(non-certified that is)..no way, not that reckless...X5MP..where M=money..

Last edited:

That's not it at all. It runs the gears differently. When you step on the gas with Sport on it acts just like with Sport off. The major difference is when you let off the pedal. The gears are held longer. So you without Sport, your car downshifts. Mine in Sport does not. It's still higher in the rev range. So if I need to apply the gas again, I am still in the higher torque range of the gear I was in = where more power is available. I can accelerate faster because my car hasn't downshifted.
That's about the best I can explain it.
And I'm done trying. ;)

That's not it at all. It runs the gears differently. When you step on the gas with Sport on it acts just like with Sport off. The major difference is when you let off the pedal. The gears are held longer. So you without Sport, your car downshifts. Mine in Sport does not. It's still higher in the rev range. So if I need to apply the gas again, I am still in the higher torque range of the gear I was in = where more power is available. I can accelerate faster because my car hasn't downshifted.
And I'm done trying. ;)

Mine doesn't upshift either for about 3 to 4 seconds or so, if you stab and let off as you describe. I haven't played the jumping at an adversary game in it though. It doesn't have enough power to do it noticeably, lol! Makes for a super weak taunt.

Mine doesn't upshift either for about 3 to 4 seconds or so, if you stab and let off as you describe.

I concur. Mine as well.

Will just have to go to the dealer and test drive one with sport mode I guess just to understand better.

I thought that was a great explanation. How am I still not making this clear? Upshifts?!?! I didn't say anything about upshifts.

I thought that was a great explanation. How am I still not making this clear? Upshifts?!?! I didn't say anything about upshifts.

I just caught how he said upshift. Mine will hold gear for a few seconds before downshifting if I stab it to a high RPM range and then let off the gas.

There's only one way to get to the bottom of this.

HEY ANCHORMAN

GOT A PDF ON SPORT MODE???????????

Not really, look at the camaro and corvette. Nearly identical performance, even though the weights differ. Same story from 98 to 02, also. More afoot, here, imo

How much weight difference between Camaro & Corvette (uhm)

It should be remembered that any extra weight increase hits a NA 4 cylinder more than a V8

Not to mention the 2.5NA doesn't have shovel amounts of torque at the bottom end like a V8 does.

Last edited:

You're failing to make it clear because you don't understand how transmissions work, per your post, which severely weakens your argument for a feature affecting transmission behavior regarding up and down shifting through the gear range.

And I'm done trying. ;)

Mine doesn't upshift either for about 3 to 4 seconds or so, if you stab and let off as you describe. I haven't played the jumping at an adversary game in it though. It doesn't have enough power to do it noticeably, lol! Makes for a super weak taunt.

Last edited:
So apparently I AM the only person on Earth that doesn't consider the CX-5 'slow'. Not at all.
That's fine.
Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't call it fast. But slow? No.
Have you driven your mom's Crosstrek, C-D?
Has anyone driven a 1998 Plymouth Breeze? The car my wife was driving when I met her.
You want to talk S L O W.
And if you think Sport mode is worthless, I encourage you to come take a ride with me. :D

True. We shouldn't be comparing it to all other types of vehicles on the road, especially ones that are intended to be performance oriented. 0-60mph in the 8s is not bad. Not so long ago my V6 sedan could only do 0-60mph in 8 secs flat.

In comparison with its direct competitors, the CX-5 is closer to the "faster" range than the "slower" range. What is slow is something like the RAV4, Rogue, Sportage.

How much weight difference between Camaro & Corvette (uhm)

It should be remembered that any extra weight increase hits a NA 4 cylinder more than a V8

Around 3400# for the corvette, around 3700# for the Camaro.

Very true about i4 vs v8, but look at the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. They are typically within 1/10 of a second of on another between the Camaro and Corvette.

True. We shouldn't be comparing it to all other types of vehicles on the road, especially ones that are intended to be performance oriented. 0-60mph in the 8s is not bad. Not so long ago my V6 sedan could only do 0-60mph in 8 secs flat.

In comparison with its direct competitors, the CX-5 is closer to the "faster" range than the "slower" range. What is slow is something like the RAV4, Rogue, Sportage.

Those are also boring vehicles and actually sound like appliances!

Around 3400# for the corvette, around 3700# for the Camaro.

Very true about i4 vs v8, but look at the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. They are typically within 1/10 of a second of on another between the Camaro and Corvette.

I agree but extra weight seems to have more of an impact on this 2.5NA which if you want to look at performance wise, is actually better suited to Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 as they both weigh a decent amount less than the CX-5.

Back