US Diesel's big splash introduction

I was definitely joking (the whole they're gonna let me know a few hours before was the giveaway if not just the general ridiculousness) but hey it could still happen(guitar)#Motley Lou
Sorry X- but that kinda made my day.. no joke:)

Last edited:
Flashback.."dammit Pantera this beer's warm..get me another one!!" and/or:
Dammit, Pantera.. I told you to get out there and mow that lawn!

Last edited:
Geez, and here I was wondering if Monterra was a automotive celebrity or something. No just anyone can drive a car on stage at a big show.

I was definitely joking (the whole they're gonna let me know a few hours before was the giveaway if not just the general ridiculousness) but hey it could still happen(guitar)#Motley Lou

That is fine.

Last edited:

play+with+emotions.jpg

LOL good one Monterra :)

-------------------------------

Well look at that, first post for a new user and it has tantalizing info on the diesel CX-5...

but his location is NY... Monterra, you're not trolling us again, are you?

that website looks legit though, secured with SSL... but the certificate is only valid for 3 months... hmmm.... hmmm...

maybe I'm just hungry, I'll go get lunch LOL

1st post and probably more encouraging info than we've gotten in prior 1750+..nice! And no not an alias... kidding!=trolling. NYIAS..who's in a NY state of mind? I really think it could happen like really for real maybe

Last edited:
New member here...

I was looking at the mazda miata forum at miata.net and I saw the link below regarding start of production dates for the 2019 mazda miata:

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-mazda.html

Thanks, there may be some optimism here. You would think a fleet buyer should have access to good information.

Still Mazda has pulled the football away from Charlie Brown too many times for me to get my checkbook ready.

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-mazda.html

not sure how accurate this is...but the link indicates the start of production for the 2018 CX-5 diesel is March 2018 and the 2019 CX-5 diesel is October 2018....here is hope.

Interesting. Sure would be nice to get some official news soon.

Even still, I might 'make do' with a clearance 3 Sport or Golf SportWagen for a few years and see what happens with the diesel, a 2.5L version of the "X" motor, the next Mazda 6 (come on wagon/CX-6) etc.

I'm not ready to give up my manual tranny yet and they've sure taken their sweet time getting it here (if it even materializes still). If the diesel had been available a year ago I might already own one. If they announce it and have it available with a manual, I'm theirs. Otherwise I'll bide my time...

I hope someone smart from Mazda Canada is reading this thread lol

Bide your time;)

Well if they surprise me and actually release the thing with a manual (unlikely) I won't be biding anything as it will be damn near the exact vehicle I've been waiting for since the whole TDI fiasco happened (was originally going to get a SportWagen TDI and would have owned a 2016... if they existed). And the CX5 would add AWD, which I'd like.

But it's far more likely it's initially released with an auto only and if there's even a small chance of the manual it would likely be a couple model year's in (and still highly unlikely).

I find it frustrating that I don't have a clear upgrade path within Mazda for something bigger than a 3 Sport that I can get with a manual (not that I have many options elsewhere either save the GSW noted above).

But I'm pretty much a poster boy for their core demographic. Yeah, they have to appeal to the masses etc, I get that. But ignoring that your core demographic might just start families, own a dog and perhaps need to own something larger than a Miata or 3 Sport AND STILL LIKE TO DRIVE seems an odd choice to make for a company apparently struggling to retain/have repeat customers.

Maybe stop ignoring your core demographic? THOSE are the people that become 'customers for life' and encourage their friends and family to buy Mazda's etc.

[/rant off]

Well if they surprise me and actually release the thing with a manual (unlikely) I won't be biding anything as it will be damn near the exact vehicle I've been waiting for since the whole TDI fiasco happened (was originally going to get a SportWagen TDI and would have owned a 2016... if they existed). And the CX5 would add AWD, which I'd like.

But it's far more likely it's initially released with an auto only and if there's even a small chance of the manual it would likely be a couple model year's in (and still highly unlikely).

I find it frustrating that I don't have a clear upgrade path within Mazda for something bigger than a 3 Sport that I can get with a manual (not that I have many options elsewhere either save the GSW noted above).

But I'm pretty much a poster boy for their core demographic. Yeah, they have to appeal to the masses etc, I get that. But ignoring that your core demographic might just start families, own a dog and perhaps need to own something larger than a Miata or 3 Sport AND STILL LIKE TO DRIVE seems an odd choice to make for a company apparently struggling to retain/have repeat customers.

Maybe stop ignoring your core demographic? THOSE are the people that become 'customers for life' and encourage their friends and family to buy Mazda's etc.

[/rant off]

I have to think that Mazda would really like the diesel selling in North America. No doubt they understand many of those VW buybacks have replaced their vehicles already and some are delaying as long as possible to get something like the CX-5 diesel. I am one of those and just can't bring myself to buying an Equinox or
Terrain as they are much cheaper looking with questionable quality. The longer they delay the more potential customers that will leap elsewhere.

Where I do fault Mazda is their terrible PR department. They should have posted regular updates on the status of this model to keep customers' aware and interest in the company. I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on something so we will see what we will see.

Back