Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

I only went to one Mazda dealer to test drive. They let me take it where I wanted which included going up I-70 a bit into the mountains. I pushed it.
Here's where he got confused. CD was talking about his current ride here.

Those customers are going to be left in the dust by Mazda anyway as they go premium. For anyone who wants a sub-$30k CX-5, this is probably the last generation that will cater to that price point.

Then Mazda is playing beyond their name's value, and is going to pay dearly for stepping into waters too deep for them.

GM realized this. Toyota realized this. Ford realized this. VW realized this. Hyundai is finding out the hard way, and so will Mazda. Ain't NO DAMN BODY buying any "Genesis" products because it's a Hyundai, and sold on a Hyundai lot with a Hyundai badge on it.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/243186/hyundais-vehicle-sales-in-the-united-states-by-segment/

That itself is a good option!

It's the smart option, financially, and the one I'm taking, as well. I am sickened that my vehicle is worth so little compared to my Chrysler, Nissan, GM products I've owned in the past. If you're doing anything but leasing, or driving it until the wheels fall off, you've made a poor decision financially with Mazda. If I had known, I likely would have just bought another Chrysler and gotten the lifetime warranty, but back in 2015, the CX5 hadn't been around long enough yet for us to see how absolutely worthless these are after 3-4 years and 90-100K miles.

Then Mazda is playing beyond their name's value, and is going to pay dearly for stepping into waters too deep for them.

GM realized this. Toyota realized this. Ford realized this. VW realized this. Hyundai is finding out the hard way, and so will Mazda. Ain't NO DAMN BODY buying any "Genesis" products because it's a Hyundai, and sold on a Hyundai lot with a Hyundai badge on it.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/243186/hyundais-vehicle-sales-in-the-united-states-by-segment/

This may be different as Mazda isn't releasing new cars under a new brand. Instead they're taking their existing cars and trying to give them more of a premium feel. It's more of a culture shift than a re-branding, and I think that it would be better received because of that. I will agree that the same thing could still happen to Mazda, I just don't think it's as likely. Hyundai was probably trying to capitalize on their momentum and did too much, too soon. Hopefully Mazda takes a more sensible approach.

And Mazda resale has always been low, anyone who's done even a little research or knows about the Ford-Mazda partnership could have put two and two together. That said, I think Mazda resale will get better over time, especially with the focus on premium feel and the partnership with Toyota.

I guess agree to disagree. Mazda is a niche brand with a sporty flair, making it an ideal candidate to convincingly transition to an upscale brand.

Also, a big difference between Mazdas path and the examples you cite is that Mazda will be fully committed to premium. Its name wont be dragged down by selling econo car crap like the Fiesta or Yaris opposite its premium offerings. That identity crisis is where other brands have failed.

I have no personal insight into Mazda's corporate plan, but it looks to me that by releasing a small (at least so far) number of high end "luxury" models, they're simply testing the waters to see the demand for them. Someone on these forums posted earlier that Mazda sold most of their CX-5s in GT trim, so you can't confuse their curiosity with "playing beyond their name's value". I realize the person who mentioned this is unhappy with his vehicle, since in hindsight he would have rather had a <del>Buick</del> Chrysler. I suspect that Mazda anticipates brisk business in the reserve line, and I expect the 2.5T to trickle to the GT line in 2020, but no later than 2021.

I guess agree to disagree. Mazda is a niche brand with a sporty flair, making it an ideal candidate to convincingly transition to an upscale brand.

Also, a big difference between Mazda*s path and the examples you cite is that Mazda will be fully committed to premium. Its name won*t be dragged down by selling econo car crap like the Fiesta or Yaris opposite it*s premium offerings. That identity crisis is where other brands have failed.

Mazda USED to have a sporty flair. Now they are the new CR-V. Edgy, but don't confuse it with actual sporty vehicles.

Mazda is still Mazda. You'd have to be out your mind to spend Mercedes money on one within the same vehicle style bracket.

I have no personal insight into Mazda's corporate plan, but it looks to me that by releasing a small (at least so far) number of high end "luxury" models, they're simply testing the waters to see the demand for them. Someone on these forums posted earlier that Mazda sold most of their CX-5s in GT trim, so you can't confuse their curiosity with "playing beyond their name's value". I realize the person who mentioned this is unhappy with his vehicle, since in hindsight he would have rather had a <del>Buick</del> Chrysler. I suspect that Mazda anticipates brisk business in the reserve line, and I expect the 2.5T to trickle to the GT line in 2020, but no later than 2021.

Yes, I do believe that for the CX-5 and CX-9, the best sellers are the highest trim levels.

Mazda USED to have a sporty flair. Now they are the new CR-V. Edgy, but don't confuse it with actual sporty vehicles.

Mazda is still Mazda. You'd have to be out your mind to spend Mercedes money on one within the same vehicle style bracket.

Kia is still Kia, and they still did well with the Stinger. It outsold the Jaguar XE 3 to 1. Mazda isn't doing something as extreme - instead they're tweaking their line to focus a little more on the premium market. I think they'll be successful.

That perspective is completely opposite of pretty much every professional auto critic out there. The CX-5 is universally praised as the sportiest in its class by far, with many citing its looks and German-esque drive feel. Just because its not powerful doesnt mean its not sporty. You can disagree with that all you want, but if were arguing about brand perception, those critics represent the mainstream view.

Anyway, I think you underrate the ease of changing customer perception. All it takes is a streak of quality and great curb appeal. Its not like Mazda is starting off with a trash reputation like the Korean brands.

Last edited:
Mazda is definitely sportier on the driving dynamics and suspension feel though less so on Gen 2 for the CX-5.

Where Mazda is NOT the sporty brand anymore is that they no longer sell high hp sports cars. No RX sports coupe, no Mazdaspeed 3 or 6. Mazda has lost that part of its Zoom Zoom image.

i'm sure once sales start to increase and Mazda gets a firm grip on the market, they will offer their Zoom Zoom back.

Mazda is definitely sportier on the driving dynamics and suspension feel though less so on Gen 2 for the CX-5.

Where Mazda is NOT the sporty brand anymore is that they no longer sell high hp sports cars. No RX sports coupe, no Mazdaspeed 3 or 6. Mazda has lost that part of its Zoom Zoom image.

i'm sure once sales start to increase and Mazda gets a firm grip on the market, they will offer their Zoom Zoom back.
That's my hope as well, though they've made it clear they have no intention to do so for now.

Guess we'll see how it goes.

you know these CEO's come and go, and views change all the time, so nothing's really solid.
Our family grew up with mazdas. the 929. mx-6 and MPV.
Didn't own any after they were with FORD because i really didn't like the designs (some may argue otherwise)
But i'm glad I'm back with Mazda, and their design direction seems to be going the right direction. (others may not agree)
But for now all my cars will be Mazdas unless something drastic happens to their lineups.

That's my hope as well, though they've made it clear they have no intention to do so for now.

Guess we'll see how it goes.

That perspective is completely opposite of pretty much every professional auto critic out there. The CX-5 is universally praised as the sportiest in its class by far, with many citing its looks and German-esque drive feel. Just because it*s not powerful doesn*t mean its not sporty. You can disagree with that all you want, but if we*re arguing about brand perception, those critics represent the mainstream view.

Anyway, I think you underrate the ease of changing customer perception. All it takes is a streak of quality and great curb appeal. It*s not like Mazda is starting off with a trash reputation like the Korean brands.

Actually, they are. Tons of people still equate Mazda to Ford's econo line.

How is machine gray color? Scratches shown easily? I have had a silverstone S2000 a while back. I like the snow flakes but my current ND is a ceramic metallic white. Trying to go with another color to spice things up.

Also, a big difference between Mazdas path and the examples you cite is that Mazda will be fully committed to premium. Its name wont be dragged down by selling econo car crap like the Fiesta or Yaris opposite its premium offerings. That identity crisis is where other brands have failed.

The Yaris sedan is a rebadged Mazda 2 built by Mazda for Toyota.

Back