A little birdie told me....

Are you referring to Dave Coleman avoiding marketing BS around torque splits?

By just having AWD its better than everyone else in this class aside from Subaru with which its probably still a tad better. Remember this competes with the Impreza not WRX and Subaru AWD systems arent all created equally. Compare to Quattro Ultra? Thats a much more expensive car.

The sedan looks better than the previous gen for sure. Id probably still go hatch as I think itll look fine in person and its already growing on me in the pictures. That being said Im probably keeping the GTI. AWD is nice but I like the 220+ hp [emoji2]

I am considering a GTI as my next. The MK8 rumored to jump up to 250hp. A coworker and friend has his 17 up near 300 using the Cobb AccessPort with a 91 octane and recently added DSG tune. That 2.0 has potential to go well into the 300's with very little modification and can endure it.

-------------

Like others I am not to keen on the new Mazda 3 hatch look, but maybe it will grow on me. AWD makes it interesting and hopefully Mazda will provide a future model that gets them back into the hot hatch category.

Are you referring to Dave Coleman avoiding marketing BS around torque splits?

By just having AWD its better than everyone else in this class aside from Subaru with which its probably still a tad better. Remember this competes with the Impreza not WRX and Subaru AWD systems arent all created equally. Compare to Quattro Ultra? Thats a much more expensive car.
Yep. I guess it's still better than nothing. AWD, more space and cheaper to build, sounds like a win but I'm just sad the direction Mazda is heading to.

Just watched the Jalopnik video. I will officially tefrain from judging it like Unob said, until I see one...but second impression after watching that. ****.
I'm officially old. I knew the day would come when I'd start thinking new cars were ugly. 2018 3 IMO is the unapologetic hatch. I AM A HATCHBACK / WAGON. I AM NOT PRETENDING TO BE AMYTHING ELSE. LOVE ME OR HATE ME! It's gorgeous imo. I went to Mazda dealer to get CX5 and almost bought a 3 instead. I liked it that much. This guy? It could be a hatch. Or just a weird sedan in camoflage.
The new CX5 came out, And i like it, but think gen1 looks better. Now the 3? Early impression....hate. it reminds me of the AMC Gremlin. [emoji848] Anyone got an AARP application handy?

Last edited:
Just watched the Jalopnik video. I will officially tefrain from judging it like Unob said, until I see one...but second impression after watching that. ****.
I'm officially old. I knew the day would come when I'd start thinking new cars were ugly. 2018 3 IMO is the unapologetic hatch. I AM A HATCHBACK / WAGON. I AM NOT PRETENDING TO BE AMYTHING ELSE. LOVE ME OR HATE ME! It's gorgeous imo. I went to Mazda dealer to get CX5 and almost bought a 3 instead. I liked it that much. This guy? It could be a hatch. Or just a weird sedan in camoflage.
The new CX5 came out, And i like it, but think gen1 looks better. Now the 3? Early impression....hate. it reminds me of the AMC Gremlin. [emoji848] Anyone got an AARP application handy?

Mazda seems to think that evolving Kodo design requires removing all the character lines. First the Gen 2 CX-5 and now the next-gen 3. What appears to be happening instead is they're removing all the character! I'll be in the market for a new hatch next year and I was hoping this would be the one. I may have to pick up an '18 3 before they run out or maybe a Hyundai Elantra GT N-line.

Mazda seems to think that evolving Kodo design requires removing all the character lines. First the Gen 2 CX-5 and now the next-gen 3. What appears to be happening instead is they're removing all the character! I'll be in the market for a new hatch next year and I was hoping this would be the one. I may have to pick up an '18 3 before they run out or maybe a Hyundai Elantra GT N-line.

I agree, a true letdown, however the aforementioned Elantra GT N is a letdown as well, not getting the i30 engine and all. Pass.

Yea I think I made the right choice buying my GTI vs waiting for the updated 3. I figured we wouldnt get a performance option.

I like the styling as its timeless and sophisticated. It doesnt look like its trying to hard to be cool or boy racer. And in 10 years it wont look dated.

Now the 3? Early impression....hate. it reminds me of the AMC Gremlin. [emoji848] Anyone got an AARP application handy?

Haha I don't think I can go as far as hate but I think it is a step back and def see the Gremlin in the rear quarter whereas the sedan- big improvement- and I'm a hatch man too.

Agreed w/others on the J30 or whatever the regular 4dr hatch Veloster is in other markets- pretty surprised and disappointed they didn't go that way w/ours, but still the N looks pretty fun seems they got the dynamics right(haven't driven one obviously) but reviews seem pretty impressive so far. If it was RWD I'd probably have a deposit on one already.

Last edited:
I like the styling as its timeless and sophisticated. It doesnt look like its trying to hard to be cool or boy racer. And in 10 years it wont look dated.

I had an 84 gti. That was a nice little car back in the day. First car I ever bought for myself.

Agree, New golfs are easy on the eyes. But a bit too bland for me. About all I really like are the plaid seats.

Can't write put my finger on what I don't like about the Golf. Besides the name that is. [emoji848] It looks small? The front end? The profile? I dunno.... Just not a fan...

Last edited:
Back