2017~2024 More luxury wanted..

How are auto folding mirrors useless in the US? I don’t live in the city, but every car I see on the narrow one way streets in Philadelphia has their mirrors folded in so they don’t get hit.

Maybe "useless" is too strong a word I used.
If you ask customers to pay $200 for it, and they understand it is prone to failure, I wonder how many US customers would take it?
I used to prefer having it also.
Now, not so much after knowing that it is problematic.

Last edited:
Maybe "useless" is too strong a word I used.
If you ask customers to pay $200 for it, and they understand it is prone to failure, I wonder how many US customers would take it?
I used to prefer having it also.
Now, not so much after knowing that it is problematic.

I've had folding mirrors for over 2 years now and no issues what so ever.

Mines also not the button type, its actually on the mirror moving dial (turn it all the way to either the right or left to fold mirrors and then reverse the direction to unfold)

The power folding mirrors on my dad's old '93 Isuzu Trooper still work. I wouldn't mind having them on my CX-5... my GX has them.

The power folding mirrors on my dad's old '93 Isuzu Trooper still work. I wouldn't mind having them on my CX-5... my GX has them.

The 2017 version is via button pressing here which IMHO is better than the dial version

I have enough questions asked to me about "Why did you get a Mazda, not Honda or Toyota?"
Now, you want to make it even more expensive by adding features not everyone wants?
Remote Start: no need. It is an accessory
Panoramic roof: looks nice, but many cases of exploded glass reported
HandFree liftgate: It is rare that I approach the liftgate with no free hand. Very rare case.
auto-folding side mirrors: prone to failure due to water getting through the gap into motor. Fancy, but useless in US.

CarPlay, AA: agree to that, but a software upgrade issue. I can wait.

Love the woodwork in CX9, but that also limits the supply of CX9 Signature models.
Dealers are selling every one of these they can get.

ceric, do you have any issues with your parchment seats over time? I'm considering parchment seats and would love to hear your take on them.

There is a override switch for the power folding mirrors. If it’s cold and icy leave them out. You can fold them as you wish.

I've had folding mirrors for over 2 years now and no issues what so ever.

Mines also not the button type, its actually on the mirror moving dial (turn it all the way to either the right or left to fold mirrors and then reverse the direction to unfold)

Guys, statistically, auto-folding mirrors is prone to failure.
You can always find me one or two counter examples.... I am not surprised.
Believe me. I was very interested in having it.
I called Mazda dealers in other country to gauge the possibility of a retrofit....
Then, I visited some forums in those countries that Mazda offers auto-folding as standard equipment.
Many reported failures within few years, mostly due to auto carwash and debris getting into the gaps.

Everything is prone to failure at some point.

Been looking at Australia forums and so far next to no issues reported.

If you look after them as in make sure gaps are dirt free, less prone to issues.

Also most people don't use auto car washes here. They go to hand wash places

Last edited:
Yea and my father in law insists on hand crank windows on his car because "those power windows, man...just one more thing to break!". LOL

My father-in-law, rest his soul, applied the parking brake at stop lights to keep the emergency brake line from rusting.
He once turned his headlights off after leaving a main road to save his battery and continued without headlights to a friends home in a development. I didn’t want to question his doing so, but I did wonder how we win the war, ...he was an Air Force electrical engineer!

Back