What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I swear half the bird population in my city live on the tree I park my CX-5 under. Did some QD and Stoners cleaning job. Yikes.

For those who think 25% low gear lubricant in our small capacity rear differential is fine, just saw these in CX-9 forum:

I agree that 25% low on gear oil is not fine but there's no way of knowing if that's what's causing this issue.

I swear half the bird population in my city live on the tree I park my CX-5 under. Did some QD and Stoners cleaning job. Yikes.
Aren't birds supposed to live on the tree? :) Bird drops are really annoying but at least current water-based paint can resist them nicely. Some of my older vehicles those bird drops would eat the paint within a couple of days if you don't clean them soon. Sometimes those school kids throwing eggs to the car parked on the street that is even worse and the paint definitely will get damaged! (notcool)

"4WD System High Load"

I agree that 25% low on gear oil is not fine but there's no way of knowing if that's what's causing this issue.
Yeah, I agree. New CX-9 inherited CX-5's i-Activ AWD system and it may be under-designed a bit for heavier CX-9. "4WD System High Load" warning even showed up in the video below at 0:44 seconds mark during the failed diagonal test. We have 0.48 quarts gear lubricant at most for rear differential with clutch pack from factory, I believe it could be very easy to get overheated during heavy usage for heavier CX-9 with such a small amount of gear lub. The gear lub capacities of rear differential with clutch pack for other AWD system I've seen are all at least 1.25 quarts.

Four new tyres fitted today...not cheap!

But I'm very impressed so far - under the EU tyre ratings they're the quietest tyres available in this size - I can hear the turbo spooling up whilst driving now! [emoji16]

524a2b2f524280aa67398a1a36682c83.jpg

Four new tyres fitted today...not cheap!

But I'm very impressed so far - under the EU tyre ratings they're the quietest tyres available in this size - I can hear the turbo spooling up whilst driving now! [emoji16]

524a2b2f524280aa67398a1a36682c83.jpg

What make and size tyre did you get?

They don't look standard size in the picture.

Oil/filter change along with a tire rotation. Used my new QuickJack and was happy to find out it can raise this vehicle high enough to swap the wheels/tires around. I also investigated an intermittent clunking noise I have been hearing, the right rear sway bar end link upper nut was loose. I went ahead and shimmed the studs with some 0.012 stainless I picked up the other day, I used 1 1/2 wraps around each stud. This is needed because the holes in the Corksport rear sway bar are very oversized for any factory Mazda end links. I'll keep an eye on the nuts, if either loosens again I'll see what I can find for better locking nuts.

Oil/filter change along with a tire rotation. Used my new QuickJack and was happy to find out it can raise this vehicle high enough to swap the wheels/tires around. I also investigated an intermittent clunking noise I have been hearing, the right rear sway bar end link upper nut was loose. I went ahead and shimmed the studs with some 0.012 stainless I picked up the other day, I used 1 1/2 wraps around each stud. This is needed because the holes in the Corksport rear sway bar are very oversized for any factory Mazda end links. I'll keep an eye on the nuts, if either loosens again I'll see what I can find for better locking nuts.

Put a drop of loctite on it; that should do it.

Put a drop of loctite on it; that should do it.

I know it would, however based on my experience with Mazda's end links, I would much rather use some anti-seize on the threads and have some other form of locking for the nuts. When trying to remove older end links, you will want to kill yourself if you haven't lubed those threads (maybe not for you since you're in Texas). I'm not even sure there is enough room up top on the CX to get an angle grinder in there to remove a damaged link.

Well the tune update last week definitely bumped up the output. My last update was September of last year. With all nannys on i am able to get a "rwd push (and limited fishtail if fuse is pulled, which I believe is 50/50 split)" on sharp power on turns. Since awd performance is directly linked to power available, it's a good indicator. Wot shifting is quicker with less rpm drop too.

Highly recommended even if you have stock intake/exhaust.

Yeah, I agree. New CX-9 inherited CX-5's i-Activ AWD system and it may be under-designed a bit for heavier CX-9. "4WD System High Load" warning even showed up in the video below at 0:44 seconds mark during the failed diagonal test. We have 0.48 quarts gear lubricant at most for rear differential with clutch pack from factory, I believe it could be very easy to get overheated during heavy usage for heavier CX-9 with such a small amount of gear lub. The gear lub capacities of rear differential with clutch pack for other AWD system I've seen are all at least 1.25 quarts.

Curious to see how these tests would go with the dsc fuse out and the 5050 split.

Spring is coming so I changed the tires, put fender flares and 30mm spacer on each tire.
ef63149ed4946b4b9388b2ccb95be88f.jpg
Thera are parts of seven CX-5 on this pic[emoji5]
e4585229990a775c43efdaa4edc57704.jpg
822ca8776fac1a40c3e3b0b1a3a7d6ce.jpg
2ff084db02048a45d7535bff2bbf201a.jpg
d4e0bef471b01803626fac95f210979b.jpg

Next will be a yellow VMAXX sport break kit for the frontbrakes and a V8 soundmodul from Maxhaust(original for Audi SQ5) with a Maserati(Gibli) modul combined.

Have a nice one. 101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back