What have you done to your MSP today?

BBSs are almost completely stripped of their old paint, can't wait to put them back on with the new tires! Installed some becker coils and Ultra igniton wires from racing beat. Don't notice any difference (wasn't expecting to) but they look cool. Really need to paint the valve cover now.

I saw 1574 the other day after a coil failed on the new owner. Car is dirty inside, he has already put 2k miles on it in less than 3 weeks and I hear he drives it pretty hard. Kinda makes me sad, but oh well.

hornsfan, you got a dslr? your stories would be double awesome with some pics lol.

Ran into tons of road blocks on my build since the engine/trans was dropped back in March.
Machinist was backed up for 6 months before i got it back,and mechanic has been backed up the last 3 months since but finally looks like it will be done before the end of the yearish
found these mean time for the rear:https://imgur.com/dB4X4JG (has to be the last pair on the planet!original MS part numbers)
and some tokico illumina 2223/4 for up front (also found out they dont make anymore)w/ a eibach pro kit
Also found someone to install the Mfactory LSD
Should have that 250+whp MSP engine broke in before spring and cruising Devils Tail.

Last edited:
Its been a very busy few days. I've done the following:

removed all the stock intake tubing
replaced the alternator
replaced some of the stock intake tubes
Installed a CAI
plasti dipped my wheels (was supposed to be yellow, turned out green).
changed my gear oil in my transmission

Things to do:
replace my stock hot pipe (mine had some minor cracks)
Replace the dip stick top (with a metal one).
replace the battery tray and hold down
replace the coolant overflow bottle (cracked it when taking it off to do the cai...).
replace ignition coils (I think the ones of amazon are bad)

The things to do are waiting for parts to be delivered.

hornsfan, you got a dslr? your stories would be double awesome with some pics lol.

Lol no I'm not really into photography. I could take phone pics but never think to, and uploading them is a pain since the iphone app sucks IMO. I have considered a build thread but it's too much work

I did get the BBSs installed last week, then had a run-in with a pot hole that bent the front rim and I think the strut is also bent. Time to put the BC coils on! Got the wheel repaired on Monday and they painted it silver, so I plan to paint the rest to match.

Car is running well otherwise, would love to get that microtech installed but need an ECU adapter and time to have the car be down when I won't miss it too much!

Its been a very busy few days. I've done the following:

removed all the stock intake tubing
replaced the alternator
replaced some of the stock intake tubes
Installed a CAI
plasti dipped my wheels (was supposed to be yellow, turned out green).
changed my gear oil in my transmission

Things to do:
replace my stock hot pipe (mine had some minor cracks)
Replace the dip stick top (with a metal one).
replace the battery tray and hold down
replace the coolant overflow bottle (cracked it when taking it off to do the cai...).
replace ignition coils (I think the ones of amazon are bad)

The things to do are waiting for parts to be delivered.

Why do you think the coils are bad?

Why do you think the coils are bad?

after the engine warms up, not just getting to running temps, but after I've been driving it for a bit, I get a massive loss of power over 3500rpm, like amisfire, but no codes. I checked for vacuum leaks, regapped my spark plugs (new NGKs) and so I'm doing the coils next. I got cheap ones off amazon, so getting a higher quality set.

There is a spicy for sale locally with the engine removed for $2,000. Belonged to a friend of mine prior to this guy and have worked on the car with it's previous owners as well. Would never pay $2,000 for it, but I'll let it wait a while, when it gets to $1,000 I might contact him. My old spicy is currently for sale for $7,000 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL And there is s titanium ~100 miles away for $2000 with a broken timing belt, all stock. I'm eyeing these because I want to possibly trade the Miata for one.

I just bought another Titanium Grey MSP... so i have 2. 935 and 1245

i'm going to sell one probably, after i put motors in them both.

Last edited:
There is a spicy for sale locally with the engine removed for $2,000. Belonged to a friend of mine prior to this guy and have worked on the car with it's previous owners as well. Would never pay $2,000 for it, but I'll let it wait a while, when it gets to $1,000 I might contact him. My old spicy is currently for sale for $7,000 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL And there is s titanium ~100 miles away for $2000 with a broken timing belt, all stock. I'm eyeing these because I want to possibly trade the Miata for one.

the msp QA testing continues!

after the engine warms up, not just getting to running temps, but after I've been driving it for a bit, I get a massive loss of power over 3500rpm, like amisfire, but no codes. I checked for vacuum leaks, regapped my spark plugs (new NGKs) and so I'm doing the coils next. I got cheap ones off amazon, so getting a higher quality set.

More than likely is the intercooler heat soaking and the stock tune. These cars run like crap on the stock ECU. I highly doubt 'higher quality' coils are going to make a difference, just my personal opinion.

More than likely is the intercooler heat soaking and the stock tune. These cars run like crap on the stock ECU. I highly doubt 'higher quality' coils are going to make a difference, just my personal opinion.

It’s not heat soak, I’ve had turbo charged cars before, it’s not heat soak, I am leaning towards a fuel issue, since I have verified spark and air.

As far as the tune, what do you recommend to fix that?

My true recommendation is a standalone EMS, but the more common and easier to install fix, (yet still leaves a lot to be desired) is the Split Second Air Fuel Controller.

My true recommendation is a standalone EMS, but the more common and easier to install fix, (yet still leaves a lot to be desired) is the Split Second Air Fuel Controller.

Just to follow up, Took it to a friend who is a great mechanic. (a real mechanic and not one of those change the oil and oversell you on shocks/brakes "mechanic") and after 2 seconds he looked at the Fuel injection Pressure damper, which the screw was loose on top, like backed all the way out, He tightened it up, and it seems like everything is hunky dory, I need to do a lot more testing, but so far so good. But the screw is starting to back itself out again, so buying a replacement part.... $80 from rock auto.

don't really know too much about what to look for on a used clutch. this is the original clutch off of my msp with 125k miles on it. thinking about keeping it around as a spare for the beater p5 since i most likely won't sell for much anyway. does it still look good? i'll take more pictures if needed.

i-DDL56qg-X2.jpg

i-5NwmzRd-X2.jpg

With that many miles it's not really worth keeping. Personally I would never use a used clutch, especially considering how much work it is to pull the trans.

Back