Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

If I do this on the 2017, will this just disable the main LED's as in the ones that provide road illumination at night or will this disable the Halo's and strips as well?? I'd like to keep the halos on for DRL minus the actual headlights. Can someone please clarify?

THank you!

If I do this on the 2017, will this just disable the main LED's as in the ones that provide road illumination at night or will this disable the Halo's and strips as well?? I'd like to keep the halos on for DRL minus the actual headlights. Can someone please clarify?

THank you!

Your entire headlight assembly will be off. Then at night when you manually turn on your headlights, the entire assembly will come on as per normal.

THank you!

As mentioned, the whole headlight turns off including the halo/accent light. Besides, if you want just the halo/accent lighting on it's not bright for DRL use. Good for when sunset hours but you can hardly see it's on during sunny day. I have mine off and I am really happy with it. I could care less for the LED DRL now, there's too many on the road and it's not special anymore :( Even cheap cars are slapping them on just to have it now. I do enjoy having everything off during the day.

Your entire headlight assembly will be off. Then at night when you manually turn on your headlights, the entire assembly will come on as per normal.

Thanks man. I was afraid of that. I just want the dang main LED's off, not the strips and halos. I'll never understand why Mazda did this.

For the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for 2017 and older CX-5s obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:

Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

For the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for 2017 and older CX-5’s obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:

Only thing missing is click heels three times! (lol)

Just for kicks I did ask my insurance company... apparently disabling or modifying any factory-set safety features (which DRLs are) can result in voiding your policy and claims not being paid. I'm sure they don't actively look for this, but if you're going to disable them then at least be aware of the risk.

Just for kicks I did ask my insurance company... apparently disabling or modifying any factory-set safety features (which DRLs are) can result in voiding your policy and claims not being paid. I'm sure they don't actively look for this, but if you're going to disable them then at least be aware of the risk.
That is normal part of their policy. One is supposed to tell them of any changes made

Hi joe6864,
You just confirmed by consulting with your insurer, what I wrote in another tread: "LED failure" guessing what the consequences could be.
Thanks.

Hi joe6864,
You just confirmed by consulting with your insurer, what I wrote in another tread: "LED failure" guessing what the consequences could be.
Thanks.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case but was just curious. Makes sense too... the safety profile of a vehicle (which determines rates, etc) is set based on the standard safety features and configuration.
Luckily I have no problem with the DRL setup so it doesn't bother me that I shouldn't change it.

The reason that some people want to turn them off is to prevent a premature failure by not being on all the time.
Maybe that is problem with the earlier LED's and the new ones may not experience that kind of issues.
The cost of replacement of the whole unit is very expensive and totally understandable, but also may not be cost efficient turn it off if it does not prevent an accident.

Thanks man. I was afraid of that. I just want the dang main LED's off, not the strips and halos. I'll never understand why Mazda did this.

Agreed. Using the main headlights at almost normal brightness for DRLs is lame and obnoxious. The accent lights have class. If they were brighter, they would be perfect by themselves.

⋯ but also may not be cost efficient turn it off if it does not prevent an accident.
Thiss very much debatable and GM has been tried for many years but failed to prove DRLs are effective for safety. Thats why US DOT is still not interested to make DRLs mandatory.

Back