What have you done to your CX-5 today?

70280542_10162203259000487_2098744853046231040_o.jpg

How in the heck did the dealer talk you into <i>that</i>???

That crawler blanket is cool, but way too spendy for me. Cardboard's good. I use rigid foam insulation board. It's downright cushy.

FleaBay has some for under $30. I like that you can store it in your trunk....you know just in case you're out camping in the woods and feel like changing your oil LOL.

Silly question maybe. Why do some Miatas have roll bars and some do not?

Most Race Tracks do not recognize the wimpy roll bars that come standard on the newer Miatas.

In order to track or race, the owners must have sanctioned bars installed.

FleaBay has some for under $30. I like that you can store it in your trunk....you know just in case you're out camping in the woods and feel like changing your oil LOL.

I saw some of those.
Reviews were not kind.

But the ads failed to show the benefits of pine needles, s'mores and used 10W 30. ;)

New lighting and tires

New interior lighting wired to ignition so they come on when the car is running (fuse 20 on interior panel). Also new 4 season tires 235/55r19s Firestone Weathergrip seem to ride nicely so far.

Attachments

• Mazda interior lights-1024.jpg
    Mazda interior lights-1024.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Mazda new tires-1024.jpg
    Mazda new tires-1024.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Mazda Tire side-968.jpg
    Mazda Tire side-968.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Mazda Tires Back-1024.jpg
    Mazda Tires Back-1024.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 158
What did I do? Brought home a sibling for the CX.

MGalleryItem.php

I know from personal experience that your CX5 will be very, very happy. It will take them a while to get used to each other but eventually they will actually be going out together. I can't tell you how many nights I have gone out to the garage only to find both of them not there. Usually they get home before sunup..

Now you can join the MX5 Miata Forum. It is an extremely active forum with a lot of important info that you will enjoy reading. My name is David Paul on that forum as well.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/index.php

Installed oem cross bars, cargo cover, all weather mats. Rear bumper plate and splash guards tomorrow. Ordered a heat shield sunshade. Need snow chains and window shades next.

Installed oem cross bars, cargo cover, all weather mats. Rear bumper plate and splash guards tomorrow. Ordered a heat shield sunshade. Need snow chains and window shades next.

Sounds good. I just commented on another thread where a member is looking for splash guards. I'm glad I got them (dealer installed). There are lots of threads here with tips on installing the splash guards. I understand that the front ones are not as easy as to install as the rear ones. I also have the rails installed but haven't done cross bars yet.

Whose mats did you get? I got Weather Tech based on reputation and am not 100% happy with the driver's side mat. It does a "good enough" job, but leaves some places exposed.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I just commented on another thread where a member is looking for splash guards. I'm glad I got them (dealer installed). I also have the rails installed but haven't done cross bars yet.

Whose mats did you get? I got Weather Tech based on reputation and am not 100% happy with the driver's side mat. It does a "good enough" job, but leaves some places exposed.

I just went with the oem*s. I wanted the weather techs but they were quite a bit more expensive. I*m sure I*m going to kick myself and replace them with the first liquid spill. My friend who owns a 2018 GT thought I was an idiot for trying to skimp on mats. I can*t say I disagree. (hand)

I just went with the oem*s. I wanted the weather techs but they were quite a bit more expensive. I*m sure I*m going to kick myself and replace them with the first liquid spill. My friend who owns a 2018 GT thought I was an idiot for trying to skimp on mats. I can*t say I disagree. (hand)

I think folks around here like the OEMs.

The driver's side Weather Tech mat does not cover the entire foot rest (for your left foot). It goes less than halfway up, meaning that there is no carpet protection for that one spot the driver's foot always sits for long periods of time.

The Weather Tech also falls short of covering the accelerator pedal base, so dirt & debris collects there. Others have commented that other brands cover both places better.

So don't beat yourself up for skimping. I paid top dollar and got second rate. I even took them to the dealer with me and installed them before I drove the thing away so as to get maximum protection.

I think folks around here like the OEMs.

The driver's side Weather Tech mat does not cover the entire foot rest (for your left foot). It goes less than halfway up, meaning that there is no carpet protection for that one spot the driver's foot always sits for long periods of time.

The Weather Tech also falls short of covering the accelerator pedal base, so dirt & debris collects there. Others have commented that other brands cover both places better.

So don't beat yourself up for skimping. I paid top dollar and got second rate. I even took them to the dealer with me and installed them before I drove the thing away so as to get maximum protection.

Did you get the weather tech cargo tray as well? That is really nice. I was expecting a bit more cupping with the oem cargo trays. The mats have nice coverage though not much liquid containment.
I appreciate splash guards. We go up to tahoe a lot and when the road gets dirty, the car get really messy.
I also hate getting stuck behind cars without splash guards.

Crossbars were pretty easy. Just use a couple of terry clothes to keep the metal off the roof. I had torx bits for my socket which made things easier. U can*t really see the screws so just gotta be a bit patient.

The dealer wanted full retail on the accessories plus installation so I ended up saving quite a bit. Cross bars cost me $184 vs $300 and they took me less than 30 minutes. I think the dealer quoted me $125 installation.

Also good to know about the front splash guards. Hopefully, they will work out ok. I did them for 2005 wrx and 2014 cr-v so hopefully they won*t be too bad. I will report back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Did you get the weather tech cargo tray as well? That is really nice. I was expecting a bit more cupping with the oem cargo trays. The mats have nice coverage though not much liquid containment.
I appreciate splash guards. We go up to tahoe a lot and when the road gets dirty, the car get really messy.

Yeh, I got the Weather Tech cargo tray. It's fine...plenty deep enough. Like the others, you have to cut out the access holes in order to use the tie down hooks. Someone here posted about a cargo tray that has hinged flaps on either side so as to access the little storage areas. Not that big of a deal to me.

I also got these, which will work on any carpet or mat. They have no-slide bottoms:

CargoTech_Reusablebags_Milk_Grocery_2019.jpg

CargoTech_Camping_Lantern_2019.jpg

Great for keeping the plastic grocery bags corralled ad upright. Just set the bags down and shove the 4 corner pieces around them so things don't tip over or fall out. Stops other stuff from sliding as well (like Crock Pots if you do such events).

Last edited:
Nice. Do you prefer them to cargo nets?

Yup.

Cargo nets won't keep plastic grocery bags upright or stop milk containers from falling over...but I've never tried them.

These work for my everyday needs.

Crossbars were pretty easy. Just use a couple of terry clothes to keep the metal off the roof. I had torx bits for my socket which made things easier. U can*t really see the screws so just gotta be a bit patient.

The dealer wanted full retail on the accessories plus installation so I ended up saving quite a bit. Cross bars cost me $184 vs $300 and they took me less than 30 minutes. I think the dealer quoted me $125 installation.

Also good to know about the front splash guards. Hopefully, they will work out ok. I did them for 2005 wrx and 2014 cr-v so hopefully they won*t be too bad. I will report back tomorrow.

Back