Signature v GTR

Our plan was to buy and keep long term. I know repairs are pricey but what I didn*t know is how crappy their repair/reliability is! Just looked at Consumer Reports and...wow. Over and out on the X1.

By us, European cars can be had cheap once they come off warrant as nobody wants them.

Our plan was to buy and keep long term. I know repairs are pricey but what I didn*t know is how crappy their repair/reliability is! Just looked at Consumer Reports and...wow. Over and out on the X1.

I am guessing you are new to the auto industry. BMW are good to drive and own when the warranty is still good. Even during warranty its still a hassle to visit the dealership on a regular basis.

That seems consistent with what Ive heard for Mazda vs other brands where usually the bottom two trims sell the highest. My guess is these are customers Mazda is stealing from Lexus BMW ect not Toyota Honda ect.

I would say your goes is right. Got my wife a Signature at the end of Nov and we love it. We looked at BMW and Audi and was not paying the price for my wife's daily driver. Plus BMW and Audi loose about 50% after 5 years. 50% depreciation on $35k is much less than 50% on 45-50k. And maintenance cost is also cheaper on the Mazda.

In the end she has everything she wanted at a reasonable price. I think Mazda is on to something.

The BMW premium...and not referencing the up front cost. Look at any BMW and they are very lucky to get 50% of purchase price with only 50k miles... maintenance and repair are refocus on them and they usually need a lot if both.

Yup I think Mazda has figured out a niche where they can thrive. They dont need to try and be Toyota to be successful.

My decision is now Signature v GTR v BMW X1

Drove the X1 today. For similar money as the Sig a far far superior driving car that put a smile on my face :) Less bells and whistles but what it does have is done really well (monitor screen doesnt look like it came off a kids toy, for ex).

Will come down to what my wife wants and what they do on price. So far Mazda thinks more of their car than I do.

Have an X1 now. Not loving it as much as I thought and looking forward to test driving a GTR/Sig. Funny you mention the screen - I worry about missing that the most if I swap for a CX-5.

As for bells and whistles, I got a fully loaded 2017 X1 with 11k mikes for $35k last winter (DC area). So if your wife prefers the BMW, dont overlook buying used to get more features.

Yup I think Mazda has figured out a niche where they can thrive. They dont need to try and be Toyota to be successful.

Yep. I think theyre gonna steal a lot of Lexus, Acura, and Infinit customers too. Especially those who dont want ugly luxury. ;)

Made my final offer on a Sig this evening. I*m pushing hard and if they accept I*ll get a good deal on a fresh model. If not, I*ll find a dealer who will bite or I*ll wait for the days when every dealer has 6 on their lot. They can think they*re a premium brand but in the end this is an almost $40k MAZDA small SUV.

Wish my wife would go for the 6 Sig because I*d buy that in a heartbeat. It*s easily one of the best looking cars on the road - and now drives just as good.

Last edited:
So does the turbo engine require the good fuel? Assume so but haven't seen it posted.
Re: the leatherette. Friend has it in her 6 T. I was actually impressed. It's nice enough.

So does the turbo engine require the good fuel? Assume so but haven't seen it posted.
Re: the leatherette. Friend has it in her 6 T. I was actually impressed. It's nice enough.

No, you can use 87. Higher grade gets a little more HP, but some suggest you dont really notice the difference in daily driving.

As someone who puts only the best in his Volvo without hesitation even though I don't have to, I'm surprised how tickled it makes me to put regular in my Mazda.
This news excites me greatly.

Made my final offer on a Sig this evening. I*m pushing hard and if they accept I*ll get a good deal on a fresh model. If not, I*ll find a dealer who will bite or I*ll wait for the days when every dealer has 6 on their lot. They can think they*re a premium brand but in the end this is an almost $40k MAZDA small SUV.

Wish my wife would go for the 6 Sig because I*d buy that in a heartbeat. It*s easily one of the best looking cars on the road - and now drives just as good.

I noticed you are in PA. Where exactly? In SC, the CX-5 Signature (in black) was quoted for ~36K, and that was without much push back/negotiation from me. I thought I could have gotten them down to 35 or 35.5K easily with some fight.

South Central PA - Lancaster/Berks

I'd say I'm near that and have them down below what I'm seeing pretty much anywhere but am pushing hard for another 500 as I think there's still room in my trade number.

Thanks

Let us know your offer if they accept it.

South Central PA - Lancaster/Berks

I'd say I'm near that and have them down below what I'm seeing pretty much anywhere but am pushing hard for another 500 as I think there's still room in my trade number.

Thanks

Good for you. I think making them work for every $ is a good thing and they always make money on your trade.

Let us know your offer if they accept it.

They took my final offer, probably just to be rid of me :). Bringing the car in from another location and will deliver when it*s there and ready. Must button it up by 12/31, no biggie.

Don*t have deal sheet yet but I m sure I*m getting it around 2200 off (incl 500 rebate) +/- depends on what*s trade and what*s discount and doesn*t matter in end. Trade value is generous compared to any available consumer data and the otd is good too.

Was fully prepared, and expecting, to wait till into 2019. I think salesdude earned his $.

They took my final offer, probably just to be rid of me :). Bringing the car in from another location and will deliver when it*s there and ready. Must button it up by 12/31, no biggie.

Don*t have deal sheet yet but I m sure I*m getting it around 2200 off (incl 500 rebate) +/- depends on what*s trade and what*s discount and doesn*t matter in end. Trade value is generous compared to any available consumer data and the otd is good too.

Was fully prepared, and expecting, to wait till into 2019. I think salesdude earned his $.

Congrats! Hope you have many happy, safe miles ahead of you.

(2thumbs)(spin)(band)(drive2)(dance)(breakn)(drive)

Back