2017 CX-5 drl question

For the Maxx, see the red arrow that is pointing to the parker lights:

Maxx.jpg

For GT, see the freehand red highlight around the the parker lights:

image.jpg

Apologies for the freehand.
Here're headlight / parking / DRL configuration on US version 2017 CX-5 Touring:

Here are some pictures from 2017 CX-5 Touring showing whenever DRL function is on, both LED DRLs and LED low-beam headlights are simultaneously on! You can imagine how GT DRLs work by replacing Touring LED DRLs with GT's LED Signature DRLs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at parking light position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at headlight-on position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Finally for 2017 CX-5 Touring the high-beam is from the same LED cell for the low beam in the projector, and use a shutter to control them like 2015 bi-xenon HID. For 2016 LED headlights we have a separate LED cell at inner side of the low beam LED dedicated for high beam only.

View attachment 216512 View attachment 216513 View attachment 216515 View attachment 216514

Here're headlight / parking / DRL configuration on US version 2017 CX-5 Touring:

Yep. Saw that. Good illustration. Where are the amber parkers on a GT? As for the led DRL on the Touring, how is that equivalent light/space used on a GT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to de-acttivate the DRL myself ... I failed _ - _ ...
I am not sure if my timing was off or something

I e-mailed MazdaUSA and the reply was ... the DRL's default is ON..
but it can be turned ON or OFF ... but only at a authorized Mazda (dealership) facility

I set up my appointment at the same place I bought my car ...
the guy said it would be free of charge as long as my car is "unmodified"...
I told him I bought the car like 2 weeks ago ... all I added was tints ... he kinda chuckled a bit

I'll leave it to the professional considering I have it on e-mail
that MazdaUSA confirmed with the service tech that my request to turn OFF DRL
will be free of charge.

_ Z _

Yep. Saw that. Good illustration. Where are the amber parkers on a GT? As for the led DRL on the Touring, how is that equivalent light/space used on a GT?
There are none except for the side amber parkers
For US CX-5 GT, amber parking lights are the same as those on Touring / Sport. They use dual-filament 7444NA bulbs at the same location as turn signal. Although amber color parking lights are not required in the US, but many car manufactures including Mazda choose to use single amber color dual-filament bulb to serve both parking light and turn-signal to save cost for US market. Other markets use white LED signature accent strips as the parking lights, as many countries and EU don't allow parking lights sharing with turn signals.

Only US CX-5s have the front amber side markers and front amber side reflectors which are required by law.

I tried to de-acttivate the DRL myself ... I failed _ - _ ...
I am not sure if my timing was off or something

I e-mailed MazdaUSA and the reply was ... the DRL's default is ON..
but it can be turned ON or OFF ... but only at a authorized Mazda (dealership) facility

I set up my appointment at the same place I bought my car ...
the guy said it would be free of charge as long as my car is "unmodified"...
I told him I bought the car like 2 weeks ago ... all I added was tints ... he kinda chuckled a bit

I'll leave it to the professional considering I have it on e-mail
that MazdaUSA confirmed with the service tech that my request to turn OFF DRL
will be free of charge.

_ Z _
Yeah according to owner's manual the DRL function is one of the many setups can be switched on or off, but this particular setup can only be changed by Mazda dealer with Mazda equipment.

For 2016 CX-5, I can live with a section or two LED accent strip DRLs flickering due to everyday usage once the warranty expired. But I really can't take a risk if the LED headlight is out due to the everyday usage serving as a part of DRLs. Turning the DRL off definitely would be my choice when we get a new 2018 CX-5! :)

For US CX-5 GT, amber parking lights are the same as those on Touring / Sport. They use dual-filament 7444NA bulbs at the same location as turn signal. Although amber color parking lights are not required in the US, but many car manufactures including Mazda choose to use single amber color dual-filament bulb to serve both parking light and turn-signal to save cost for US market. Other markets use white LED signature accent strips as the parking lights, as many countries and EU don't allow parking lights sharing with turn signals.

Only US CX-5s have the front amber side markers and front amber side reflectors which are required by law.
No such laws here [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Although 2017 CX-5 owner's manual says the front turn signal/parking light uses dual-filament 7444NA bulb, but the pictures I took earlier on a 2017 CX-5 GT suggests otherwise:

Light switch at parking light position:
attachment.php

Light switch at headlight on position (low beam):
attachment.php

LED Signature accent strips added on GT partially block turn signal and LED DRL location on Touring/Sport. And you can see how small and dim the turn signal is on GT comparing to Touring/Sport when the headlights are on!

The LED DRL space on Touring/Sport between headlight and amber parking/turn signal looks like unused on GT.

2017 CX-5 GT Parking Light_001.jpg 2017 CX-5 GT Low-Beam Headlight_001.jpg

And you can see how small and dim the turn signal is on GT comparing to Touring/Sport when the headlights are on!

If memory serves, I've seen cars there that have headlights and they also have their turn signal lit dimly at the same time as well

If memory serves, I've seen cars there that have headlights and they also have their turn signal lit dimly at the same time as well
That's what I thought and says that in the owner's manual. But the pictures I took says differently. :)

Went to the dealership today...
Told service manager the problem...

1-2 hours laters ... I was told to pick up the car ..
DRL is now OFF ...

I told him there could be more OCD people like me coming
in to fix the same problem(turn off DRL) to preserve the life of the LED headlights.

I like the idea of being able to turn ON or OFF my headlights

_ - _

I've noticed that it looks like my headlights are on all the time, even when I have just the parking lights on. So I guess I'll just leave it in auto all the time... :shrug:

I would like to have just the LED DRLs and rear DRLs on all the time....I suppose it is what it is...

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I've noticed that it looks like my headlights are on all the time, even when I have just the parking lights on. So I guess I'll just leave it in auto all the time... :shrug:

I would like to have just the LED DRLs and rear DRLs on all the time....I suppose it is what it is...

If you're ok with rear led tails on as well, you can disable your drl's and then leave your setting on parking lights, and it will be like you want. Headlights will still shut off and come on when they need to.

If you're ok with rear led tails on as well, you can disable your drl's and then leave your setting on parking lights, and it will be like you want. Headlights will still shut off and come on when they need to.

Wait...so this is the workaround for having the light bars on all the time on the front and back? (2017GT)

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

So after all of these discussions on 2017 DRLs and you just found out your LED headlights are on all the time? ;) Many people caught by surprise that Mazda made this change with no reasons, and considering how expensive the LED headlight unit is, I simply don't want unnecessary consumption of the lifespan on LED headlights. I can take the risk on LED accent strip DRLs because even if they start flickering after warranty expires, I can live with it without fixing it. But headlights are a totally different story.

As a 2017 CX-5 owner, please email your concerns to Mazda North American Operations. You can also try to turn off the DRLs, hence the headlights, by the Mazda dealers there like Panda_415 just did.

Yes. Edit, I do know they will still shut off in about 20 seconds if you are driving with the parking lights set to on. You may still need to turn the stalk to auto or on if you want the actual headlights to come on when it gets dark. I can't remember and it stays daylight so long right now.

Last edited:
Back