Questions for turbo owners

Hello,

Current owner of a 2016 CX-5, but my lease is up soon. Have my eye on the turbo, and wanted to see if owners think it*s worth the upgrade over the standard NA engine.

- How does the turbo cruise and pass on the highway around 75-80 mph compared to the NA engine? I*ve always thought my CX-5 feels short of power there, where as my old Volvo turbo could pass with ease. I*ve test driven the turbo but didn*t have the chance to cruise at high speed (thanks DC Beltway)

- What kind of mileage are you getting, both on the highway and around town? On the highway, my 2016 will hit the EPA rating (32 mpg, it*s FWD) only if I stay under 65 mph, feather the throttle, and keep the AC off. Drive above 75 mph at all, or pass a few times, and the car will quickly drop to around 28 mpg, but I*m convinced it*s because I have to draw so deep into the power reserve
reciated. I*m going to trade in next week. Thanks!

Nice cruising and plenty of power for passing and climbing hills (No Georgia). Really feels more to me like a V-6 then a turbo 4 and thats just fine.
87 octane - about 22.5 MPG averaging but i drive fast. I've tried a couple tanks of 91 octane but I dont feel much difference in performance - may give it another try sometime but 87 does the job for me.

I traded in my 2016 CX-5 and it always seemed a bit underpowered at times - no more!
Worth the upgrade for me

Last edited:
Even odds my next car is EV. Im keeping this gtr for 6-8 years, and thats plenty of time to iron out the few remaining kinks of range and "fuel up" convenience/speed.

Is that extended warranty you bought good for 6-8 years and as many miles as you anticipate in that time frame?

I put about 600 miles on my reserve so far. Commute is 10 miles one way 95% hwy. speed averaging 75mph i have no problems to pass even at 80mph. Having regular gas at a high $4 a gal here in San Francisco bay area, i cant see me paying the higher prices for the premium. I dont know if its because of the early stage of my car, my mgp averages at only 22mpg.

Is that extended warranty you bought good for 6-8 years and as many miles as you anticipate in that time frame?

10y/150k mi. I presume to drive around 25K mi per year on average based on this year so far (7500mi, and I think I got it in Jan/Feb?) Comes out to 6 years, and I am hoping for 1-2 trouble-free years after it is at this point.

Keep in mind that I'm burning 10% Mazola. I don't have a lead foot, but the roads here are winding roller coasters, so that doesn't help.

How many miles on your car? I'm wondering if my mileage will get better.

My mileage hasn't changed from when it was new. I have 7500ish, now. My roads are very windy and hilly, as well, living in the Ozarks. I have found it's all in how you drive vs. what speed with the Turbo. I got nearly 100K miles on my OEM brake pads on my 2015. Something very few people on this forum equal.

Ill chime in. I have both a 2016.5 gt and 2019 gtr.

Power is great and the interior refinements are nice.

My list of negatives for the 19:
-The seats are not very comfortable. There is a thread on this-base is narrow with overly firm bolsters and the back/side bolsters do not provide much support.
-In automatic mode the transmission is not as responsive as the 16. I think Mazda tried making it smoother overall, which to me feels more sloppy as a result. I also have a 1-2 shift flare before the transmission warms up.
-Power loss in below freezing temps. There is a thread on this as well.

Go drive one and see what you think. You might not notice or care about these issues.

Your info says only "Dirty South", so not sure which state you're in for one of the cheapest gas price in the US.

Wait until you pay $4.00 per gallon for regular gas, and you'd change your mind about gas mileage. ;)

Im in South Carolina, the Upstate.

Higher octane fuel is only beneficial >4000 RPM per Mazda. I rarely exceed 4000 RPM so I see it as a waste of $'s.

The turbo is great. I can quickly pass anyone even going uphill. MPG is 24.9 averaged over about 5K miles of average driving.

That's not bad Mileage - I'm getting about 10.6l/100km which is about 22.19mpg. I'm about 3000km in (2200miles) to my 2019.

That's not bad Mileage - I'm getting about 10.6l/100km which is about 22.19mpg. I'm about 3000km in (2200miles) to my 2019.

I've got an average of 23 MPG on 87 octane and 24.5 MPG on 93 octane.

My mileage is about the same as yours (2,000 on the odometer).

I see no gas mileage difference whatsoever, between 87 & 93 octane. Mostly highway miles on my daily commute ---- 27.5mpg on most every tankful.

I've got an average of 23 MPG on 87 octane and 24.5 MPG on 93 octane.

My mileage is about the same as yours (2,000 on the odometer).

Wait until you pay $4.00 per gallon for regular gas, and you'd change your mind about gas mileage. ;)

Been there, done that.
Some of us still just don't care. Even when I was young and poor I didn't care how much gas was because it was simply a necessity. I'm not even willing to drive 2 blocks to save 3 cents a gallon. A friend of mine at work is the exact opposite. She once said "OMG did you see gas prices today?". I didn't know what she meant. Are they high? Low? I don't know. I don't care. She doesn't talk to me about gas prices anymore.
I didn't care when I was driving a thirsty V8 and I was poor and I didn't care when driving a 4 cylinder turbo.
I remember 4 bucks a gallon. I've seen it once. It sucked, but it didn't make me change my habits or make me want a new car.
I realize I may be the exception, I bet Nelson is too.
Don't assume everyone feels the exact same way you do. You should know by now that's a particular pet peeve of mine.
It's why I am such a big fan of Uno... :D

I see no gas mileage difference whatsoever, between 87 & 93 octane. Mostly highway miles on my daily commute ---- 27.5mpg on most every tankful.

I'm on my 7th tank of gas.
I did not manually calculate the MPG of the first, nor do I know what octane it was, because it was "filled" by the dealer.
Obviously, I don't know what the MPG of this current tank is.

I have checked the MPG on (2) tanks of 87 and (3) tanks of 93.
The MPG on every tank of 93 (low of 23.9) has exceeded the MPG of both tanks of 87 (high of 22.9).
The average is a 1.5 MPG difference.

But 5 tanks of gas is a small dataset. I'm retired, so my driving routes are inconsistent (no daily commute and don't drive to the same shopping area all the time). And I bet I've been on the 70 MPH highway maybe 6 times since I got the car, usually for about 5 miles.

I need to plan a decent road trip.

Been there, done that.
Some of us still just don't care. Even when I was young and poor I didn't care how much gas was because it was simply a necessity. I'm not even willing to drive 2 blocks to save 3 cents a gallon. A friend of mine at work is the exact opposite. She once said "OMG did you see gas prices today?". I didn't know what she meant. Are they high? Low? I don't know. I don't care. She doesn't talk to me about gas prices anymore.
I didn't care when I was driving a thirsty V8 and I was poor and I didn't care when driving a 4 cylinder turbo.
I remember 4 bucks a gallon. I've seen it once. It sucked, but it didn't make me change my habits or make me want a new car.
Don't assume everyone feels the exact same way you do. You should know by now that's a particular pet peeve of mine.
I'm the same way. I don't even look at the gas prices really. Besides the place 3 cents cheaper down the street is also probably not top tier.

I realize MPG matters to a lot. For me its all better than the 14 MPG I used to get in previous car, so....meh?

Been there, done that.

Yes I think of it as a sunk cost if that's even the right wording. Back when Katrina hit and prices jumped a dollar to nearly $3 I remember complaining to my mom. She basically said everyone else is also paying the same so why worry about it, which stuck a chord. Haven't thought about it since.

Yes I think of it as a sunk cost if that's even the right wording. Back when Katrina hit and prices jumped a dollar to nearly $3 I remember complaining to my mom. She basically said everyone else is also paying the same so why worry about it, which stuck a chord. Haven't thought about it since.

I managed a gas station back during the gas crisis in the 70s. The price quadrupled over the period of a few hours.

There was rationing: Odd numbered tags could only buy on odd numbered days, and the opposite for even numbered tags. And even at that, lines went on for hours and for blocks, and stations still ran out. It was the only job I ever had where my life was threatened.

As your mother told you, it's all about perspective.

I managed a gas station back during the gas crisis in the 70s. The price quadrupled over the period of a few hours.

There was rationing: Odd numbered tags could only buy on odd numbered days, and the opposite for even numbered tags. And even at that, lines went on for hours and for blocks, and stations still ran out. It was the only job I ever had where my life was threatened.

As your mother told you, it's all about perspective.

I think the only job Ive had where I wasnt threatened or assaulted often was city maintenance. Loved that job btw. Simple work. Lots of time to think. No trash to deal with.

I think the only job Ive had where I wasnt threatened or assaulted often was city maintenance. Loved that job btw. Simple work. Lots of time to think. No trash to deal with.

I often reminded myself that stress is just a reaction.

Sometimes I actually believed it!

Latest posts

Back