Strange Traffic Sign Recognition Readings

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I think the Traffic Sign Recognition is a handy tool though it misses things like school zone speeds etc.

What's just happened to me, though, I can't explain. The speed limit indicator is giving me totally random (and incorrect) numbers eg 19 km/hr in a 30 zone or 37 km/hr in a 60 zone.
I tried turning the feature on and off a couple of times in settings but still doing it.

Any ideas?

Our's reads school speed limit signs just fine. I just wish it knew when school was in session and not tell me to drive 20mph at midnight when I pass one. :)

I wish it would recognize signs a little sooner. I find that the TSR identifies the Stop sign when I've already started braking for it.

The Mazda sales guy told me that the HUD will display speed limits it gets from the NAV database.

When I was ready to take delivery of my CX-5, he picked me up in his CX-9 and told me that the HUD was displaying a speed limit of 65MPH on the interstate that has a speed limit of 70MPH.

These two extracts from the Owner's Manual (Pp. 4-128/129/130) support that assertion:

-The TSR operates only if the navigation system SD card (Mazda genuine) is inserted in the SD card slot.
-The TSR may not operate normally if the stored map data for the navigation system is not current.

My county is nothing but back roads, and I find it interesting that the speed limit icon sometimes disappears as I'm driving down these back roads that might not have the signs posted regularly, and/or that might be too rural to be in that database; in other words: I'll drive past a 45MPH sign, the HUD displays 45MPH, I continue on that same road, there is no more signage, so eventually the Speed Limit icon on the HUD just goes away.

Regarding School Zone signs, I noticed that, too. I would imagine that the two inset yellow lights might interfere with sign recognition, and there is no way for the system to know whether or not they are blinking (and to, therefore, display the lower limit).

Last edited:
I wish it would recognize signs a little sooner. I find that the TSR identifies the Stop sign when I've already started braking for it.
Then you'd complain it comes on too early. [emoji1787]

I think these numbers are miles/hr...

19*1.6 = 30
37*1.6=60

You*re totally correct. Thanks. I was adjusting the dash display lighting level and inadvertently switched to mph. All is normal, though I agree with a couple of other issues identified here.

I agree with that.

The system already seems to have different display timings for speed limit signs and for stop signs programmed into it.

-The speed limit display does not change until you have just passed the sign.
-The stop sign displays as you come up on it.

It could use a software tweak to display the stop sign the instant it recognizes it. The manual also says it will not display a stop sign unless you are going 19MPH or slower (so apparently you receive no indication when you blast through it doing over 19MPH.) I wonder how much sooner the sign would display if we approached intersections slower than 19MPH. I don't rush up on intersections, but 19MPH is not very fast.

I also wonder what the reason is for this spec. I can see the car not automatically braking based upon a supposed sign recognition, but why would it not show a stop sign sooner and at any speed?

. The manual also says it will not display a stop sign unless you are going 19MPH or slower (so apparently you receive no indication when you blast through it doing over 19MPH.)

You people that need to be notified of STOP signs are starting to worry me.

:(

You people that need to be notified of STOP signs are starting to worry me.

:(

You got insurance, dontcha?

What should worry us all is that the Japanese think that we need to be notified of STOP signs.
I wonder what they're planning.....

My TSR works fine for speed limits and no entry signs but cannot recognize stop signs. My guess is because in Qubec, STOP is written in French "ARRET" on signs. Anyone else in Quebec with the same issue? I wished Mazda could add it to the recognition algorithm.

Update: my TSR won't recognize "STOP" either, or maybe just 1 in 1000 at most.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the stop sign recognition system works from known stop sign locations from the Nav software and also from the front radar recognizing what a sign looks like. Since the only red, octoganal street signs are stop signs I would think the language doesn't matter. But maybe the letters are part of the recognition programming too.
If we have any members from Mexico it would be interesting to see how the system works there.

My understanding is that the stop sign recognition system works from known stop sign locations from the Nav software and also from the front radar recognizing what a sign looks like. Since the only red, octoganal street signs are stop signs I would think the language doesn't matter. But maybe the letters are part of the recognition programming too.
If we have any members from Mexico it would be interesting to see how the system works there.

I was told by my sales guy (yeh, I know) that the NAV system provides speed limits even when there are no posted signs. He also told me that on his way to pick me up, the HUD displayed a Speed Limit that conflicted with what was posted, but I believe he was in an unfamiliar part of the interstate where the speed limit steps down as it goes into congested areas.

So I don't know if the sign "recognition" is a combination of Seen-by-Camera + NAV Database, or if it is just NAV Database alone. I do know that the Speed Limit signs that display on the HUD are from a collection of icons stored on the NAV card...they are not renditions of what the camera sees. There are separate database icons for Speed Limit 35, Speed Limit 55, etc. This is one reason why the NAV Card must be inserted in order for the system to work.

I live in a rural area where you can go quite a while without seeing the speed limit posted again for miles. I've driven down such roads where at some point the Speed Limit icon on the HUD just goes away. We have "Speed Limit Ends" roads, but those are posted as such. In some instances, the icon just disappears when the system goes for a while without seeing a sign. Perhaps there's a blot in the database for some of these rural areas. But you would think that the last seen sign would be retained until replacement data says otherwise. Or maybe these are "Speed Limit Ends" areas that are missing their signage (so the database governs and I don't know that the speed limit ended).

One of these days I would like to test some of this. I would like to cover up a Stop sign or Speed Limit sign and see if the system still displays the icon just because the NAV system says one should be at those coordinates. I'd like to erect a sign at some random spot to see if the system sees it and responds accordingly even though the NAV database does not contain one at those coordinates. I'd like to run a Stop sign and see if the system screams BRAKE!!!

Regarding the Stop sign issue folks have posted, I agree that the shape is what's recognized and not the wording. But if you are correct about the NAV database knowing where Stop signs are, then recognition should be irrelevant.

Regarding school Speed Limit signs...my system has never recognized one of those (either by camera or by NAV database), but the ones here have 2 flashing yellow lights mounted in the signs, which might prevent recognition. Besides, how would the system know whether or not school is in session (time of day/day of week/time of the year/holidays)?

Last edited:
As I stated earlier, ours reads every speed limit sign we pass and shows that in the HUD (even school speed limits). It even reads stop signs temporarily placed in parking lots, like Home Depot.

As I stated earlier, ours reads every speed limit sign we pass and shows that in the HUD (even school speed limits). It even reads stop signs temporarily placed in parking lots, like Home Depot.

There is a stop sign at the driveway exit from my condo complex that was erected by the HOA and the system recognizes it. That, along with the example posted above about stop signs in parking lots is pretty strong evidence that the sensors on the car must recognize the shape, color and reflective qualities of a stop sign as well as pulling data from the Nav system. Pretty amazing what computers are doing in cars these days.

Back