What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I'm sure he did. It ain't cheap, and makes the installer a pretty penny...

Hahaha yes that's true if it's not a friend with a friendly price. For the offer he do to us I can't say no. In fact at our point he cut himself for the price compared to the work. LOL
But that's not the point, he recommend also for older cars, he personally got it on his old VW Passat for example

Cheers 101

Last edited:
Hahaha yes that's true if it's not a friend with a friendly price. For the offer he do to us I can't say no. In fact at our point he cut himself for the price compared to the work. LOL
But that's not the point, he recommend also for older cars, he personally got it on his old VW Passat for example

Cheers 101
Older cars, aye. I bet he does, because then he gets to do paint correction as well, which cost even more than the ppf or coating. Most don't realize the paint has to be pristine to do this, and sometimes even a brand new car needs a little correction.

I'm just picking overall with you as this is definitely a cool option, although not necessarily a cheap one, however, I can see the benefits it would have. If you didn't have to wax again, ever (not sure I totally believe that), it would cover it's price in that aspect alone.

Older cars, aye. I bet he does, because then he gets to do paint correction as well, which cost even more than the ppf or coating. Most don't realize the paint has to be pristine to do this, and sometimes even a brand new car needs a little correction.

I'm just picking overall with you as this is definitely a cool option, although not necessarily a cheap one, however, I can see the benefits it would have. If you didn't have to wax again, ever (not sure I totally believe that), it would cover it's price in that aspect alone.
Really?! I wax my CX-5 twice a year with TurtleWax Ice. Costs me maybe $5 in materials and less than 2 hours time and it looks terrific and sheds water and bird crap like crazy for at least six months. These hyper-expensive sealants have been pushed by dealers for years as a way of beefing up profit on new car sales. They're the same rip-off now that they've always been. As the man said, there's a sucker born every minute!

Really?! I wax my CX-5 twice a year with TurtleWax Ice. Costs me maybe $5 in materials and less than 2 hours time and it looks terrific and sheds water and bird crap like crazy for at least six months. These hyper-expensive sealants have been pushed by dealers for years as a way of beefing up profit on new car sales. They're the same rip-off now that they've always been. As the man said, there's a sucker born every minute!

Good for you. Mine was done by a friend who is also a professional detailer. Most certainly was NOT a ripoff and I'm most certainly not a "sucker". I'm thrilled to death with results after 15 months.

I didn't say for me, but for those that spend $150-200 every 6 months to a year for a detail, then yes. They are suckers too, or are they just different, like us, for instance with Turtle Wax, glad you like it and it works fine, but I wouldn't use it on my yard kart,but it does work...

I agree. A profit centre for dealers. As is demonstrated by the fact that if you ignore the Dealer's sexy accessories sales lady's suggestions and go direct to the local supplier, you can get them for less than a third of the dealer's "special" price where they throw in fabric and carpet treatment too....! I was quoted nearly $2000 for the "special" package. Pass.......

If these coatings were as fantastic as all the advertising would have us believe, do you not think that by now, at least some manufacturers would be providing them as a factory option? To my knowledge, none do. Says a lot.

If they are so good, at least the manufacturer would be recommending them in their car owner's manuals under the "care and maintenance" section .... but they don't.

I have never seen such a recommendation in the owner's manual. All that is factory recommended is regular washing, and an occasional wax and polish.

Last edited:
I've never been approached by a dealer about some $2k coatings or sealants, however, if I was, I'd laugh in their faces like I do when they try to add extended warranties and what nots to the sale.

I am highly curious about the ceramic coating window tint, though, and plan to look into it next week. I will say the shop doing the most coatings here has a high end clientele of $75k+ cars, so it does seem more like an appeal to the lavish lifestyle.

I agree. A profit centre for dealers. As is demonstrated by the fact that if you ignore the Dealer's sexy accessories sales lady's suggestions and go direct to the local supplier, you can get them for less than a third of the dealer's "special" price where they throw in fabric and carpet treatment too....! I was quoted nearly $2000 for the "special" package. Pass.......

If these coatings were as fantastic as all the advertising would have us believe, do you not think that by now, at least some manufacturers would be providing them as a factory option? To my knowledge, none do. Says a lot.

If they are so good, at least the manufacturer would be recommending them in their car owner's manuals under the "care and maintenance" section .... but they don't.

I have never seen such a recommendation in the owner's manual. All that is factory recommended is regular washing, and an occasional wax and polish.

'As is demonstrated by the fact that if you ignore the Dealer's sexy accessories sales lady's suggestions and go direct to the local supplier, you can get them for less than a third of the dealer's "special" price where they throw in fabric and carpet treatment too....!'

I feel like I missed out! My buying experience didn't include a sexy sales lady! Dammit!!!

plastidipped the rear badges. i think i want to redo it this weekend. the "CX5" side for sure doesn't look so good up close.

MYlqoJb.jpg

I've never been approached by a dealer about some $2k coatings or sealants, however, if I was, I'd laugh in their faces like I do when they try to add extended warranties and what nots to the sale.

I am highly curious about the ceramic coating window tint, though, and plan to look into it next week. I will say the shop doing the most coatings here has a high end clientele of $75k+ cars, so it does seem more like an appeal to the lavish lifestyle.

I don't know why anyone would pay 2k for OptiCoat+, ceramic sealant.

My quote was less than $500 🤣

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Washed the exterior yesterday and got pissed off, again, looking at the dents in the rear door. I'll be visiting a local PDR shop very soon.

Washed the exterior yesterday and got pissed off, again, looking at the dents in the rear door. I'll be visiting a local PDR shop very soon.

Ah, like me. Plus I have some loose trim around the rear wheel :(

Getting last free oil change tomorrow. Looking to get tire rotation scheduled (will be free) from the tire shop.

Then I definitively need to address my loose trim and denting.

I didn't say for me, but for those that spend $150-200 every 6 months to a year for a detail, then yes. They are suckers too, or are they just different, like us, for instance with Turtle Wax, glad you like it and it works fine, but I wouldn't use it on my yard kart,but it does work...

Exactly! With the price of twice a normal detailing and the endurance of a few years it's a different calculation! And the effect is so Kool[emoji41][emoji1360]normal price around 600-700 Euro
Friendly less then the half-regular I would also never consider unless I win the lottery and drive then a P-car or B-car![emoji12][emoji23][emoji23] Porsche Bentley/Bugatti[emoji13]

Cheers 101

Last edited:
Trying Imgur now. Check Check. The odd thing is, when I go to SIG > SETUP even on the other site I was using it clearly shows up there?!?!?
Nothing...

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Here is a picture, that is closer to reality.
Orange surface mount LED install, for the Lock/Unlock button.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170422_204841.jpg
    20170422_204841.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Ah, like me. Plus I have some loose trim around the rear wheel :(

Getting last free oil change tomorrow. Looking to get tire rotation scheduled (will be free) from the tire shop.

Then I definitively need to address my loose trim and denting.

Thankfully a local PDR shop gives discounts for the Miata club and will honor them for OTM. It's just a matter of getting the time to get to their shop.

Wish you luck in fixing yours. I hate dents and I hate asshats who have no respect for others property even more.

Back