vs Forester?

No way! I have zero use for an awd brz..it needs a little more motor, and maybe a somewhat usable rear seat would be nice.

Assuming these won't happen Ill probably have to go wrx but i don't feel the love in that as i instantly did in the brz..flawed, highly impractical but a great little car

Speed6? Nice beefy motor, excellent AWD and a very usable rear seat and large trunk.

Interesting.

The 2014 Forester produced 63.7dB of road noise at 70mph cruise. That is the XT model, too, which is turbocharged and has a stiffer suspension.
https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2014/road-test-specs1.html

The 2016 CX5 produced 65.8dB at 70mph. This is SIGNIFICANTLY louder, as dB is a logarithmic scale.
https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2016/road-test-specs/

So, basically, the facts do not support your allegations.

something must be wrong with Edmunds measurements.

70dB at 70MPH for forester XT
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...iew-car-and-driver2016subaruforesterxtawd.pdf

2013 CX-5 (2016 got same 69dB too)
69dB at 70
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...ar-and-driver2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-manual.pdf

Speed6? Nice beefy motor, excellent AWD and a very usable rear seat and large trunk.

A new one sure but i really do love the purity of the brz..Id take one home if it was just a little more...power and space and not even a lot ~10% on each.

A new one sure but i really do love the purity of the brz..Id take one home if it was just a little more...power and space and not even a lot ~10% on each.

A used one, and anturbo/sc. There are a few kits

Right..I'd 100% go SC btw but that still doesn't solve the space issue and if my (small) 6yr old gearhead in training can't even squeeze in back trust me its an issue! I had a decently hard time fitting him in the back of the Camaro we test drove..its just do-able but the visibility I don't think is. RWD MS3 hatch..that's my dream car right now!

I'm pretty torn on this one. Honestly, I think Jeep makes the best AWD system for under $100K if you're talking about ice/snow/offroading. If you're talking about performance driving, I'd say Porsche.

Jeep may make the best but this Torsen based system in my GX can't be far behind. It doesn't have physical lockers but this Toyota system called ATRAC seems to work pretty dang close LSD On front and rear and Torsen can be locked as well in the middle. That and this vehicle also has an automatic dual axle stabilizer bar decoupler called KDSS that really gives a noticeable additional amount of articulation off-road. GX is full time AWD with normal 40% to the front and 60% to the rear. It changes it up in the corners. Mechanically I guess pretty close to a Quattro.

Forget the Forester and look at the Outback. .

The 2000 Outback was an incredible car.

The 2012+ Outbacks are FAT, SLOW, TIPPY, and suck gas. We have 60,000 miles on one, and I hate it.
If you want a cushmobile, you might prefer it.

the subaru system is symmetrical.

The CX-5 AWD is driven off of just the right side of the transmission.
This means you can have just the front left wheel spinning and without fancy electronics the car would not move.

Thanks to the subaru boxer engine, being positioned longitudinally, every wheel has equal access to the torque.

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Torque doesn't give a s..t how far off the centerline it is.

I'd guess you are trolling, but then again...

From http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/x-mode-all-you-need-know-321138/

"According to Subaru, "X-Mode takes control of the engine, transmission, AWD, brakes, and other components to safely navigate through bad roads, slippery surfaces and even the steepest hills for maximum confidence."

There are two primary components of X-Mode: Hill Descent Control and Vehicle Dynamics Control.

Hill Descent Control
X-Mode will use VDC and ABS to control your descent down steep inclines. If the vehicle senses you are going too fast down the hill, it will take over the braking. Hill Descent Control is operational at speeds up to 12 MPH.
This can be startling when it happens, because you will lose pedal feel in the brake pedal, meaning it will feel like the brakes failed. This is because X-Mode is applying more braking power than you were. If you push the pedal to the floor, you will override the system and come to a stop as soon as possible.
You will also hear a lot of noises while this is happening. The ABS system will be working overtime controlling each wheel's braking as needed. Pulsating and grinding noises, as well as an occasional "burning odor" from the braking and clutch control. This is normal.
Once you hit the gas again as you are leveling back out, X-Mode will still be active but the Hill Descent Control will no longer be controlling your speed.
Vehicle Dynamics Control and more
Many Subaru vehicles come with VDC, but X-Mode enhances the performance of VDC in limited traction situations. The AWD system on CVT equipped Subarus is improved and it senses more variables than the earlier versions of Active All-Wheel Drive, which primarily focused on wheel speed sensors. Enhanced Active AWD also monitors steering angle, yaw rate, and throttle input.
X-Mode will reduce the sensitivity of the accelerator, which gives you more control to finesse your way through low traction situations without spinning the wheels. Torque comes on more gradually allowing for added control.
Using an enhanced LSD control, if the wheels do spin X-Mode will almost instantly compensate by braking the slipping wheel and transferring power to wheels with better traction.
The CVT is held in a lower gear ratio which helps to generate more power at lower speeds.
The front/rear coupling force of the AWD system is enhanced, helping deliver power equally to all 4 wheels. This transfers more power to the rear wheels than there would be with X-Mode off in the same situation. This is achieved by increasing the multi plate transfer clutch operation strength by 25%.

X-mode is operational in all gears, forward and reverse. X-mode also disables functionality of the SI-drive buttons (S/S#) and disables adaptive cruise control (on EyeSight equipped models).

Given all of the known aspects of X-Mode, we now understand why it can be useful in limited traction situations."

So it has a fully open drivetrain, and what the wheels do is completely down to what the software decides. Just like Mazda's systems.

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Torque doesn't give a s..t how far off the centerline it is.

I'd guess you are trolling, but then again...

I think I was mislead by subaru advertisements.
(hide)

some video I saw a while back made it seem like the entire transfer case is powered by one of the outputs of the front differential.
that's not the case, so what I wrote was plain wrong.

I think I was mislead by subaru advertisements.
(hide)

some video I saw a while back made it seem like the entire transfer case is powered by one of the outputs of the front differential.
that's not the case, so what I wrote was plain wrong.

OK....

I guess I owe you a big apology for calling you a troll...

I'm truly sorry about that.
(sadbanana)(sadbanana)(sadbanana)

If you had one of the many subarus with oil consumption problems you would want one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He likes ugly cars and CVT? LOL Kidding. I went to a Subaru lot. Drove a CrossTrek. Had no desire to try the Forester. It looks so boring to me.

"When the fourth-generation model was introduced for 2014,*the Forester finished third in a comparison test*against the Toyota RAV4 and the Mazda CX-5, and subsequent updates, while significant, have barely kept pace with newer arrivals in this fast-changing market segment. Even in the 2.0XT trim with this year’s quicker steering and active torque vectoring, the Forester’s handling and general driving experience wind up feeling dull and less sophisticated than many competitors, including the Honda CR-V, the Ford Escape, and the Mazda CX-5."

I wonder how the Subaru forums feel about Car and Drivers review/ranking?
a65cb7bba4cb19e869393f30cb5ec7de.jpg

IMO, the best cars in this class:
CX-5, Jeep Cherokee, Ford Escape, RAV4.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back before i ended up with the top trim cx5 my initial goal was long term reliable all weather transportation for minimum outlay. I liked the crosstrek but man is it slow, but ok-ish with the manual but not for highway..5 speed (i think) just way too loud, too crude for 80 miles/day...onto Forester..better engine still manual available on low spec which i was mostly ok with, very good value was looking @22k i think..but definitely boring vehicle to drive, manual barely helped. Onto the base xt...acceleration? Check. Almost everything else?..still a snooze fest. Sorry Subaru. No gears (manually engaged or otherwise) or sport tuning for the xt, no sale.

He likes ugly cars and CVT? LOL Kidding. I went to a Subaru lot. Drove a CrossTrek. Had no desire to try the Forester. It looks so boring to me.

"When the fourth-generation model was introduced for 2014,*the Forester finished third in a comparison test*against the Toyota RAV4 and the Mazda CX-5, and subsequent updates, while significant, have barely kept pace with newer arrivals in this fast-changing market segment. Even in the 2.0XT trim with this years quicker steering and active torque vectoring, the Foresters handling and general driving experience wind up feeling dull and less sophisticated than many competitors, including the Honda CR-V, the Ford Escape, and the Mazda CX-5."

I wonder how the Subaru forums feel about Car and Drivers review/ranking?
a65cb7bba4cb19e869393f30cb5ec7de.jpg

IMO, the best cars in this class:
CX-5, Jeep Cherokee, Ford Escape, RAV4.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Looks are subjective. I prefer the boxy look of the forester. Forester also has more space for rear passengers, and wider entry as well. also, I use my cx-5 as a family and big item hauler, and not carve up back roads.

The only reason I chose the cx-5 was for the price, which I deeply regret now. You definitely get what you pay for.

We have both a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring FWD and 2017 Forester XT Touring at our house, bought them both in the last 4 months. We bought the CX-5 in January for our son, the XT is my DD, bought it in March after the 2017 CX-5 press release. Both are great CUVs, and almost bought the 17 CX-5 instead of the XT for myself.

The things that caused me to buy the XT are powertrain (250hp), utility (easily accessible big square box loading), interior room (lots of it), visibility, and aftermarket mod support (vast). CX-5 wins on looks (inside & out), seating comfort, and value. Both are comfortable, well engineered vehicles that ride and handle well, with the CX-5 handling slightly better than the XT, but the XT's ride is a bit better than the CX-5. Handling on the XT was easily improved to equal or surpass the CX-5 with a swap to a larger rear anti-sway bar off of the WRX, which I've done. The interesting thing is I've hated CVT transmissions on Nissan and Hondas I've driven in the past. The CVT on the Subaru, working with the 2.0 Turbo flat four is a very nice combo. Smooth and powerful, with the rubber-banding effect almost totally eliminated.

The "one thing" that pushed me over the edge to the XT was the extra HP. The Mazda CX-5 needs the 2.5T engine out of the CX-9....bad!!! Sure, I understand that for most people the economy and HP out of the NA 2.5 CX-5 engine is enough, but for me it wasn't. I will say that if the XT had not been available with the more powerful engine I would have bought the CX-5, hands down.

I agree on needing the 2.5T engine. I've tried to talk my girl out of a cx-5 forever now just for that reason alone, but it isn't happening. Oh well, guess that just means she's gonna have to give a little when it's my turn for a new toy...

The 2000 Outback was an incredible car.

The 2012+ Outbacks are FAT, SLOW, TIPPY, and suck gas. We have 60,000 miles on one, and I hate it.
If you want a cushmobile, you might prefer it.

The Outback has grown taller twice since 2000. Ground clearance has increased and the suspension has been tuned to improve off-road/dirt road performance, with more travel and softer spring rates. Consequently, it has more body roll than I like. It used to be that the manual trans model with the old full-time AWD system was more stiffly sprung than the auto trans model with the new AWD system, and you could simply put the springs from the manual model into the auto model, which is what we did. Can't do that now, but you can still go aftermarket.

The CX-5 is a different animal, tuned more for handling on pavement. It's too bad Subaru stopped selling the Legacy Wagon in the US, as that was a better car for probably 80% of Outback buyers who never go off road. Another good CUV alternative is the VW Golf Alltrack.

The "one thing" that pushed me over the edge to the XT was the extra HP. The Mazda CX-5 needs the 2.5T engine out of the CX-9....bad!!! Sure, I understand that for most people the economy and HP out of the NA 2.5 CX-5 engine is enough, but for me it wasn't. I will say that if the XT had not been available with the more powerful engine I would have bought the CX-5, hands down.

How is the turbo lag on the XT? I've got the 2.5L turbo in an Outback XT Limited and while it's fast enough, the turbo lag is significant. In the CX-9, it's hardly noticeable. I would love to have the CX-9 engine in the CX-5, but I have a feeling that Mazda will prefer to keep that for the CX-9 unless Honda or Toyota up the ante by offering a performance engine in the CRV or RAV4. Personally, I'm waiting for the diesel.

Latest posts

Back