How much range are you getting with your 2016/2017 CX-9?

ZoomZoomRider

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
I have the 2017 GT AWD trim. All stock tire/wheel. I am getting about 485-495 km on a full tank (about 67 liters). I live in Toronto, ON (Canada). Every time I fill up the tank, it estimates about 550 km of range but that's the real range I get. I think the stock tire is an all-season. I just did my second fill up this morning. I am testing out the 91 octane to see if the 250 hp is worth any bit of th extra cost at the pump. I'll be going back to reg on next fill up to compare. I have a few questions regarding tires.

There are some tires sold as a "fuel efficient" tire (ie. michellin energy saver). How much of savings or extra range are they talking about or can we expect from these "fuel efficient" tires? 50 km? 100 km?

How much range are you guys getting on yours? indicate your trim and model year, and where you're driving too. Thanks.

In Toronto too, was getting 12.5l/100 on winters. I switch to Yokohama Parada all seasons and it looks like I'm getting better mileage. However, I haven't gotten through a full tank yet, so time will tell.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

... I just did my second fill up this morning. I am testing out the 91 octane to see if the 250 hp is worth any bit of th extra cost at the pump. I'll be going back to reg on next fill up to compare.

Do not forget, it will take a few tanks to get the fuel in the tank up to 91octane.

If you have 4 gallons of 87 left in the tank, and add 15 gallons of 91... you still don't have 91 octane...

What PSI are you running now in your tires?

LRR or "Green" tires can add between 1% and 2% more fuel economy.

Last edited:
I have the 2017 GT AWD trim. All stock tire/wheel. I am getting about 485-495 km on a full tank (about 67 liters). I live in Toronto, ON (Canada). Every time I fill up the tank, it estimates about 550 km of range but that's the real range I get. I think the stock tire is an all-season. I just did my second fill up this morning. I am testing out the 91 octane to see if the 250 hp is worth any bit of th extra cost at the pump. I'll be going back to reg on next fill up to compare. I have a few questions regarding tires.

There are some tires sold as a "fuel efficient" tire (ie. michellin energy saver). How much of savings or extra range are they talking about or can we expect from these "fuel efficient" tires? 50 km? 100 km?

How much range are you guys getting on yours? indicate your trim and model year, and where you're driving too. Thanks.

I have the '17 Signature trim with stock tires/rims for 3.5mos now here in Manitoba (odo approx 3300kms) and averaging 12-13L/100km accdg to trip computer but since I've switched to 91octane after about a month and that the weather has warmed up I seem to be averaging better in my estimate - in reality around 11.5L/100K with mostly city driving though the trip computer tells me after every fill up I have only 535km to empty. As an example, after driving 165kms after a full tank, trip comp indicates 370km to empty but fuel gauge tells me I still have a little over 3/4 of fuel left. Mind you, several factors too affect MPG such as fuel, cold weather, stop & go traffic, tire pressure, and low rolling resistance tires, etc. With use of the LRR tires I believe the benefits on MPG wouldn't be that much significant (10% improvement?)...I only use 91octane now aside from the bump in HP is that I get better mileage as it burns slower I guess and the added benefits of the better fuel (V power)

Last edited:
Do not forget, it will take a few tanks to get the fuel in the tank up to 91octane.

If you have 4 gallons of 87 left in the tank, and add 15 gallons of 91... you still don't have 91 octane...

What PSI are you running now in your tires?

LRR or "Green" tires can add between 1% and 2% more fuel economy.
My first two fill ups were 91 octane. Now my 2nd fill up is about 85% gone. So maybe it's safe to say now that I have mostly 91 octane in the tank? Can I?
I have the '17 Signature trim with stock tires/rims for 3.5mos now here in Manitoba (odo approx 3300kms) and averaging 12-13L/100km accdg to trip computer but since I've switched to 91octane after about a month and that the weather has warmed up I seem to be averaging better in my estimate - in reality around 11.5L/100K with mostly city driving though the trip computer tells me after every fill up I have only 535km to empty. As an example, after driving 165kms after a full tank, trip comp indicates 370km to empty but fuel gauge tells me I still have a little over 3/4 of fuel left. Mind you, several factors too affect MPG such as fuel, cold weather, stop & go traffic, tire pressure, and low rolling resistance tires, etc. With use of the LRR tires I believe the benefits on MPG wouldn't be that much significant (10% improvement?)...I only use 91octane now aside from the bump in HP is that I get better mileage as it burns slower I guess and the added benefits of the better fuel (V power)

I see. Today, I did see my highway driving ended up around 9.4 L/100 km. My city was around 10. But I was really really careful on how I drive. I didn't try to hit the padel hard at greenlights, etc. I usually get up to max city speed asap but I drove so slow today (Saturday Apr 22).

I guess, I'll try one more 91 fill up after this.

My first two fill ups were 91 octane. Now my 2nd fill up is about 85% gone. So maybe it's safe to say now that I have mostly 91 octane in the tank? Can I?

I see. Today, I did see my highway driving ended up around 9.4 L/100 km. My city was around 10. But I was really really careful on how I drive. I didn't try to hit the padel hard at greenlights, etc. I usually get up to max city speed asap but I drove so slow today (Saturday Apr 22).

I guess, I'll try one more 91 fill up after this.

My original thought and plan was to just use regular gas on the CX9 but having used premium esp with my previous Volvo I decided to switch to prem as well on the CX9 which I actually now prefer...I do get better if not similar mileage on the CX9 vs my prev Volvo that was a 6cyl turbo engine but now with a larger 7-passenger with turbo4. The thing with smaller displacement turbo 4s is that you'll get good mileage if you drive conservatively but if you always drive heavy footed then it'll suck up gas quickly and no better than a V6.

OK... Yes that sounds good.
Some folks do not realize the number of gallons in the tank that are remaining for the 2 fuels to mix, and how long it takes for the octane available in the tank to reach its peak of 91 or 93.
I look forward to seeing what your differences are between the grades. (popcorn)

My best range/tank was 480mi/772km. It took 17.87Gal/67.64liter to fill up. The mileage was 26.9mi/gal or 8.74l/100km. This was achieved when driving very conservatively with only necessary gentle brakes and pedals.
The overall average mileage so far is 23.8mi/gal or 9.87l/100km with odometer reading at 4280mi.

My best range/tank was 480mi/772km. It took 17.87Gal/67.64liter to fill up. The mileage was 26.9mi/gal or 8.74l/100km. This was achieved when driving very conservatively with only necessary gentle brakes and pedals.
The overall average mileage so far is 23.8mi/gal or 9.87l/100km with odometer reading at 4280mi.

Seriously??? Wow. That's nearly double mine. What size tires? Reg or which octane grade? Where do you drive? What about the tires (brand, etc)?

Seriously??? Wow. That's nearly double mine. What size tires? Reg or which octane grade? Where do you drive? What about the tires (brand, etc)?
I still have the stock Falken P255/50R20 tires on. I use 87 regular all the time. That best result was from almost all highway miles.
While car/tire conditions, fuel grade can all affect the gas mileage, I still think the driving habit and road condition applies the most impact. A quiet easy local country road drive with little traffic and stop can also result a good fuel efficiency. Heavy pedals are definitely the enemy of fuel efficiency as well as hard or frequent brakes.

Back