'17 CX-5 AWD diagonal test

Interesting info in video that claims Mazda implemented additional programming improvements for off-road situations with tractional control turned off on the '17.

I do know that many times I turn off TCS on my CX-5 when in some off-road situations and traction is a lot better. In addition during snow/ice events some light use of actual braking on hills...as counterintuitive as it may seems can help in traction situations. The ATRAC on my GX makes heavy use of braking to simulate LSDs when in 4 low. On that vehicle it works best keeping the RPM between 1800-2000. Also of note from video there was a mention that Mazda didn't want to get more aggressive with the braking during traction loss to thwart stalling the engine out.

Please feel to correct if one interpreted video contents differently.

This specific Subaru does have a center diff lock (X-Mode) so it will have that advantage on that test. In the non locked situations I think it boils down to programming as neither vehicle has physical lockers on the front or rear. I am curious how the brake technique I mentioned earlier would help the CX-5. I've never needed to use it on dry terrain.

Looks like it takes the onboard computer a moment or two to figure out where to put the power down on to what wheel.

I would never need my CX-5 to perform such crazy task ...
I guess the most off-road I do is drive on un-paved roads on the way to
Point Reyes Light house here in Northern California...
and maybe Lake Tahoe ... but thats about it for me .

None of these are worthy of going off-road. Gravel, snow, mud is about the max. If you want an offroad vehicle, you need something like this:

CX5 diff gets destroyed at 0:07
CX5 front bumper is removed at 0:30

and that's a super mild "offroad" adventure.

Last edited:
None of these are worthy of going off-road. Gravel, snow, mud is about the max. If you want an offroad vehicle, you need something like this:

That looks really nice and definitely more capable off-road, but is almost $50K loaded with the hemi. $47K or so with a V6. There are lots of options in that price range.
Like keeping the CX5 and finding a used Wrangler for around $20K.(2thumbs)

nothing surprising there.

mazda does just as good if not better on-road then the jeep does off-road.

Yes, do not confuse AWD with 4WD.

However, I have been astounded with the capabilities of the CX-5 AWD, and there are videos of CX-5's on youtube doing things off-road that I wouldn't dare dream of doing in mine. But a Jeep or Unimog it is not...

Yes, do not confuse AWD with 4WD.

However, I have been astounded with the capabilities of the CX-5 AWD, and there are videos of CX-5's on youtube doing things off-road that I wouldn't dare dream of doing in mine. But a Jeep or Unimog it is not...

Mazda built a crossover primarily built for pavement (with some basic capabilities in light snow, mud and rain) essentially the people's crossover, something capable of getting around in the vast majority of people's commutes.

Then you have the jeep, which is built and engineered by a bunch of autistic children and sacrifices nearly everything in the name of off road abilities. And it's always seen being used on road. See something wrong with all this?

"Light snow and pavement"

Don't make me laugh. Too late. (lol2)

I have driven mine in many heavy snows. My mountain driveway where I lived when I bought it was dirt, steep, and treacherous when it snowed. Talk about the AWD and overall system doing a fantastic job. And yes, love the ground clearance too.

However, off-roading? I'll get a Jeep for that.

But don't short-sell the CX-5 either. "Light snow" (rlaugh)

Last edited:
Mazda built a crossover primarily built for pavement (with some basic capabilities in light snow, mud and rain) essentially the people's crossover, something capable of getting around in the vast majority of people's commutes.

Then you have the jeep, which is built and engineered by a bunch of autistic children and sacrifices nearly everything in the name of off road abilities. And it's always seen being used on road. See something wrong with all this?

Those autistic children sure know how to make a good looking vehicle that's nice to drive...

"Light snow and pavement"

Don't make me laugh. Too late. (lol2)

I have driven mine in many heavy snows. My mountain driveway where I lived when I bought it was dirt, steep, and treacherous when it snowed. Talk about the AWD and overall system doing a fantastic job. And yes, love the ground clearance too.

However, off-roading? I'll get a Jeep for that.

But don't short-sell the CX-5 either. "Light snow" (rlaugh)

So how's it do in 3' drifts?

Back