So there's Skactiv-X and then there's this...

Boom! THIS is the one I have been hoping and waiting for!

I-Eloop regen system powers the electric supercharger, to get the party started before the rpms hit mid range and the turbos can spool up and kick in...

Twin Turbo Skyactiv Engine. Interesting to see how much is derived from their Racing program.

Gets around the usual compromise of either tuning a turbo for low RPM boost/low lag, or high RPM boost/high horsepower. Seems so obvious it's a wonder nobody has brought it to market before.

Guys trust me - CVT and small displacement turbos is where its at. Doest matter you cant carry a car full of people up a grade. but thats where our power of dreams lie. And yes - 21 mpg in city. Win win.

Guys trust me - CVT and small displacement turbos is where its at. Doest matter you cant carry a car full of people up a grade. but thats where our power of dreams lie. And yes - 21 mpg in city. Win win.

Hahaha, good one. (lol)

The question is why? I don't mean to stir the pot, but why are we still blowing up stuff to drive our engines?
With so many advancements in electric and new charging stations popping up everywhere, why not go all electric. I would trade mine in today if a 200-300 mile range electric CX5 was available.

The question is why? I don't mean to stir the pot, but why are we still blowing up stuff to drive our engines?
With so many advancements in electric and new charging stations popping up everywhere, why not go all electric. I would trade mine in today if a 200-300 mile range electric CX5 was available.

That's the thing, do 200-300 mile electrics exist? I'm not sure personally. I certainly wouldn't trust taking one on one of my many mountain trip excursions where I highly doubt I'd get that kind of mileage out of one, and then how long would it take to charge? And then would I even be able to find a charging station in a remote mountain town? Sorry, but on this front electric has a long way to go.

Also, I've never driven electric. How do they feel when driving? The feel of driving is a big deal to Mazda and how they design their vehicles.

Last edited:

Did the chicken come before the egg?
Does bigfoot, the loch ness monster, and Aliens exist?
Does a CVT allow vtec to "kick in"?

Because the infrastructure is not there in USA / Canada. In Europe its there and they are scaling up very well. Distances are shorter and most stop n go - Electrics are fanstastic to drive. BYD for commercial and Tesla for end user applications + a ton of other electric cars. Renault Zoe - 40Kwh battery is amazing.
In US there are two things -
Oil Lobby - they benefit a lot. They receive a ton of subsidies (more than the $7500 tax credit for electrics) - but unfortunately they also control a lot of the politics. They will not die easily.
2nd is - the electric is not feasible for rural areas where distances are large, charging infra is not there and prices of electric are still high.

Finally - I dont understand why "EV Purists" hate cars like Volt etc. A Volt driven on electric - 95% of the time actually is far better than a Tesla in terms of environment impact.
Give it time - what EVs really need now is a $5 gas quarter or two. Their adoption will spike - I think OPEC knows this very well and will not let it happen or will try to stop it. OPEC is in a catch 22 situation - pull the price low and it hurts them, let the price climb and Fracking wells in US now are profitable - let the price go out of hand - true EV revolution will happen.

We get most of our electricity from blowing up stuff.

And obviously what you want isn't available. And if it was available today it would be very heavy, and very expensive, and still lose money, so it would probably be targeted primarily for markets that have EV mandates and rationed out in low numbers. See Chevy Bolt. When somebody proves they can make and sell a 200-300 mile range EV in mainstream numbers (100k+ a year), and support them, and make money on them, then your question will make sense. I think we're still a long way off from that. Tesla is hoping to prove me wrong with the Model 3, but given the history of what Elon Musk has promised (and when) vs. what his companies have delivered (and when), I'm not holding my breath. In the mean time, most automakers are only interested in making just enough EVs to satisfy mandates.

Also, charge time would make life difficult on long trips, so I'd be more interested in a plug-in hybrid with a typical day's worth of EV range.

Last edited:
Gets around the usual compromise of either tuning a turbo for low RPM boost/low lag, or high RPM boost/high horsepower. Seems so obvious it's a wonder nobody has brought it to market before.

McLaren P1. Porsche 918. A few others probably.

Well they have; Volvo on XC90 (and the S90 too,. I think):
"Text in the application says the electric supercharger would be used to provide low-end power while the two exhaust-driven turbos spool up. This is similar in concept to a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine developed by Volvo that makes 450 hp in prototype form. The Volvo engine used a 48-volt electrical system to spin up its supercharger, but Mazda could use something different to build supercharger boost pressure. ...it's possible that this electric supercharger could run off Mazda's i-Eloop system."

McLaren P1. Porsche 918. A few others probably.

Nope and nope.

Well they have; Volvo on XC90 (and the S90 too,. I think):

More nope and nope again.

Not an electric powered supercharger among any of them. Three of the four don't have any supercharger at all (that I can see from a quick Google search anyway). The quote mentions Volvo has a prototype, but they haven't brought it to market.

The fact that the supercharger is electrically powered is significant because that means the boost can be controlled independently of engine RPM.

Last edited:
VW had turbo and supercharged engine (Twincharge) in their Golf. Then they removed that option from most markets.

Not an electric powered supercharger among any of them. Three of the four don't have any supercharger at all (that I can see from a quick Google search anyway). The quote mentions Volvo has a prototype, but they haven't brought it to market.

So let's try this one more time. What is it about "The Volvo engine used a 48-volt electrical system to spin up its supercharger, but Mazda could use something different to build supercharger boost pressure." that tells you Mazda is the first to use an electric supercharger? BTW, I'll cop to being wrong about this engine being in the XC90 and S90 production cars. It's purely experimental at this point.

Back