What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Nice. I always like following projects on your car but not if it means putting up with you know who ;-)

[emoji28] It's gone pretty quiet 'over there' but I still look to see if there's anything interesting happening; I like the fact that things seem much more open here.
(Slightly off topic - are you going to have a look at the 2017 model Anchorman?)

Good work!

What oil are you using? I had the Penrite recommended to me. Happy with that as I am an Erebus V8 Supercars team fan. Betty and Dave - the best odd couple out there!

Recently saw Nulon have a Dl-1 available, Valvoline do too but not in a 5L container as far as I can figure.

Penrite DL1 is the one I use. There appears not to be alot of choice, but the Penrite has slowly put their prices up. Paid $55, then $57 and the latest $62, over the oil changes. Use the Ryco ST432 oil filter. Its meant to have better filtration and last for 15k, but I change out at 10k. Reset the oil data with Forscan, and I'm good to go.

Penrite DL1 is the one I use. There appears not to be alot of choice, but the Penrite has slowly put their prices up. Paid $55, then $57 and the latest $62, over the oil changes. Use the Ryco ST432 oil filter. Its meant to have better filtration and last for 15k, but I change out at 10k. Reset the oil data with Forscan, and I'm good to go.

Keep an eye out on Autobarn specials for the Penrite DL-1. Can usually pick it up there for just over $40 if you are a little patient and score a 15-20% off sale. Since I just used my stock 5L container I will now start watching for a special so I will be ready for next time.

Normal price from them is $60:
https://www.autobarn.com.au/penrite-full-synthetic-oil-engine-low-ash-5w-30-oa02410

My car is still new and under warranty, so will continue getting local Mazda dealer to do servicing. Fixed service prices are fairly reasonable - and they gave me nearly $100 off last time for supplying own oil which made it even better.

On my My16 I can reset the oil data myself - procedure is to

- press start button once (to acc)
- then press and hold the trip meter reset stalk and hit the start button again.
- Let go the trip meter reset stalk when the yellow master warning triange blinks several times.
Done.

Not my CX5 but while waiting for my unit to arrive, I test drove a CX5 2.0 FWD today.

Other references for my test drive:
Sportage diesel TOTL
Hyundai Tucson TOTL
My trusted old 96 Hiace super custom

Suspension is awesome. Initial impact from humps has this initial soft impact absorption. Tucson and Sportage has none. My Hiace softer though I felt the better handling of the CX5 in turns. The 2.0 feels weaker in CX5 compared to the same 2.0 in CX3. No regrets with my decision to get the CX5.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Having a little problem inserting pic ... all help appreciated.

Avatar shows "Touring" emblem I added. Sill working on posting pics ...

I see it, thanks!

So pictures...

You have to upload to an image site like Imgur, Photobucket, whatever else the kids are using these days. Then when you click the insert image button, it will ask for the image URL. That is usually in reference to a direct image link. You copy that into the URL field and hit ok.

To get the direct image link once uploaded, just right click the image and click "copy image address". That is what you copy into the URL field.

Suspension is awesome. Initial impact from humps has this initial soft impact absorption. Tucson and Sportage has none. My Hiace softer though I felt the better handling of the CX5 in turns. The 2.0 feels weaker in CX5 compared to the same 2.0 in CX3.
That's because the CX-5 is 500 or so lbs heavier than the CX-3.

Having a little problem inserting pic ... all help appreciated.

Avatar shows "Touring" emblem I added. Sill working on posting pics ...
I see the emblem. You now have a Honda CX-5 haha. Btw, don't know if it matters to you, but the Touring badge on Hondas signifies the highest trim for a specific model. Don't be surprised if you get some funny looks from Honda followers.

You give Honda drivers far too much credit. Few of them are "car people" who pay any attention to the cars around them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You give Honda drivers far too much credit. Few of them are "car people" who pay any attention to the cars around them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I seriously doubt any of them will notice LOL!

Well Honda can have their Touring, Mazda will have the GRAND Touring. :D

Thanks.

I see it, thanks!

So pictures...

You have to upload to an image site like Imgur, Photobucket, whatever else the kids are using these days. Then when you click the insert image button, it will ask for the image URL. That is usually in reference to a direct image link. You copy that into the URL field and hit ok.

To get the direct image link once uploaded, just right click the image and click "copy image address". That is what you copy into the URL field.

Maybe, but other people will notice. This is sort of similar to the kid in our neighborhood, who had a Corolla and put on some Type R and Nismo badges. I mean I'm not a Honda fan but I know what their Touring badge stands for. I'm just trying to give a heads up. Not saying it is the same thing. What strings did is more subtle, but some people might poke fun at him, maybe, maybe not.

That's because the CX-5 is 500 or so lbs heavier than the CX-3.

I see the emblem. You now have a Honda CX-5 haha. Btw, don't know if it matters to you, but the Touring badge on Hondas signifies the highest trim for a specific model. Don't be surprised if you get some funny looks from Honda followers.

It's all about getting "funny" looks from Honda followers, after all, they'll be following me.

All just for fun and my wife says she likes it. May start a trend of emblem "swapping."

Maybe, but other people will notice. This is sort of similar to the kid in our neighborhood, who had a Corolla and put on some Type R and Nismo badges. I mean I'm not a Honda fan but I know what their Touring badge stands for. I'm just trying to give a heads up. Not saying it is the same thing. What strings did is more subtle, but some people might poke fun at him, maybe, maybe not.

Yeah, its something I'd notice, just because of my attention to detail. Around here you see kids putting STi badges on regular WRXs, and Audi S badges on regular Audis, and even on some Jettas.

Not my CX5 but while waiting for my unit to arrive, I test drove a CX5 2.0 FWD today.

Other references for my test drive:
Sportage diesel TOTL
Hyundai Tucson TOTL
My trusted old 96 Hiace super custom

Suspension is awesome. Initial impact from humps has this initial soft impact absorption. Tucson and Sportage has none. My Hiace softer though I felt the better handling of the CX5 in turns. The 2.0 feels weaker in CX5 compared to the same 2.0 in CX3. No regrets with my decision to get the CX5.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

the new 2017 is heavier, the 2.0 will be slower than the previous cx-5 2.0 fwd

Nelson:
I'll bet you lost a lot of viewers here with that reference to your trusted old 96 Hiace super custom. You folks in the PI do get some odd imports!

Last edited:

finch204 - Appreciate the kind thoughts but even if I catch a little (unexpected) poo from a Honda fan, it will likely just end up in happy talk at the Shell station. My guess is no one except CX-5 owners will ever ask about it.

Again, just having some fun and - full disclosure, I'm a member of the local Corvette club and you wouldn't believe the "mods" those folks do to their cars.

Turned off the DRL. Will try to wire ACC to the led accent only next!

Not sure if you saw this thread, and it is long, but may provide some info for you. I still have not had the time to mess with installing the daylight kit I got from Japan, but I posted pictures in the thread that may help you out. I currently have my DRL's disabled as well until I figure something out. With the drl's disabled, you can turn on your parking lights only and get the led halo to come on without the headlights while you drive, but your tail lights and parking lights come on as well.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859785-2017-CX-5-drl-question

Last edited:
Back