US Diesel's big splash introduction

How can they be obsessed with economy when every update weighs more and does less MPG, along with reduced performance.?
Sounds more like there desperate to go upmarket, trouble is with upmarket cars the driving experienced is reduced IME.

They aren't as obsessed as before considering the the current one took a hit with the update last year
I honestly think their move to go premium/upmarket is what is causing their cars to weigh more and negatively affect performance. I think they are obsessed with MPG because they are giving the 2018 CX-5 cylinder deactivation even if the gains are minimal. In my mind, they know going upmarket is costing them performance and fuel efficiency. I see cylinder deactivation as just one way to mitigate the lost of fuel efficiency. The push for a diesel CX-5 is another MPG influenced decision I think. They are obsessed with getting the best MPG out of their whole lineup and rightfully so. Being a very small company, they need to be on top of the MPG game so they can continue selling their cars worldwide even with ever stricter emission requirements.

As far as not having a new MS3. I think they didn't have a turbo SkyActiv engine when the Gen3 Mazda3s rolled out and they just couldn't get the new North American CEO to sign off on it. He said it was juvenile; the previous generation MS3s. I don't disagree with him on the juvenile part and I daily drive one. I take it as him saying, if he was to sign off on the next MS3, it should be a much much much more refined car.

Sidenote: Mercedes Benz is being accused of using a cheat device to pass emissions. I wonder if that is also affecting the certification of the CX-5.

I honestly think their move to go premium/upmarket is what is causing their cars to weigh more and negatively affect performance. I think they are obsessed with MPG because they are giving the 2018 CX-5 cylinder deactivation even if the gains are minimal. In my mind, they know going upmarket is costing them performance and fuel efficiency. I see cylinder deactivation as just one way to mitigate the lost of fuel efficiency. The push for a diesel CX-5 is another MPG influenced decision I think. They are obsessed with getting the best MPG out of their whole lineup and rightfully so. Being a very small company, they need to be on top of the MPG game so they can continue selling their cars worldwide even with ever stricter emission requirements.

As far as not having a new MS3. I think they didn't have a turbo SkyActiv engine when the Gen3 Mazda3s rolled out and they just couldn't get the new North American CEO to sign off on it. He said it was juvenile; the previous generation MS3s. I don't disagree with him on the juvenile part and I daily drive one. I take it as him saying, if he was to sign off on the next MS3, it should be a much much much more refined car.

Sidenote: Mercedes Benz is being accused of using a cheat device to pass emissions. I wonder if that is also affecting the certification of the CX-5.

If they are obsessed as you say, can you blame them with all these ridiculous targets set by authorities and not to mention consumers, reviewers expectations

Turbo engines supposedly provide better fuel efficiency but in the real world they don't.

If they are obsessed as you say, can you blame them with all these ridiculous targets set by authorities and not to mention consumers, reviewers expectations

Turbo engines supposedly provide better fuel efficiency but in the real world they don't.

Spot on.

I actually wonder if any new Diesel engines are getting okayed by the govt?
I read somewhere that Ford has been called on the carpet in something related to the Bosch injection system.

Do you think the goal of reducing fuel consumption is ridiculous?

2017 diesel in my model has now gained around 40kg, reducing both mpg government figures, increased emissions( i think), and reduced performance.
Mazda quote around 9.5 sec to 60mph.

2017 diesel in my model has now gained around 40kg, reducing both mpg government figures, increased emissions( i think), and reduced performance.

All models gained weight when KF was released

Hope I hear something in the next few months or I may just buy a used/unsold 2017 CX5 or another 2017 3 Sport GT with a stick to match my wife's.

9.5 to 60 is stupid. The 2.0 gas burner was raked over the coals for that, and the 2.5L was the response. Besides, why the hell muck with the hassle of diesel when the 2.0 offers similar performance in all but towing, while getting nearly the same mileage, and without all the problems?

9.5 to 60 is stupid. The 2.0 gas burner was raked over the coals for that, and the 2.5L was the response. Besides, why the hell muck with the hassle of diesel when the 2.0 offers similar performance in all but towing, while getting nearly the same mileage, and without all the problems?

+1

If you push the 2.0 hard, fuel economy goes out the window unlike the diesel which still more or so keeps it in check

So many things wrong with this..first when ours comes it will likely be the 190/310 version and run way quicker than that. Second even if its a weaker version and puts up a 9 it will do so with a lot less effort/weez than the 2l gas and will still feel ok (way better) in everyday use while hanging low 40s like its job.

So many things wrong with this..first when ours comes it will likely be the 190/310 version and run way quicker than that. Second even if its a weaker version and puts up a 9 it will do so with a lot less effort/weez than the 2l gas and will still feel ok (way better) in everyday use while hanging low 40s like its job.

Seems to me a lot of it boils down to this: some people hate diesels, some people love them.

We're comparing old engines to each other, and don't know when, what, or even IF the US is going to get a diesel. What's the point of comparing an unknown engine to an obsolete engine... in a future unknown body?

True but any diesel is gonna have ~twice the peak torque output but more importantly closer to 4x below 2k vs the 2l gas which is useful for more than just towing..hassle of diesel..como say waat!

Last edited:
I made another inquiry over the weekend, to Mazda NA, about when the diesel is coming, and whether I should buy something else. Their answer was less encouraging (more vague) than last time. For what its worth.

All I need to do to ensure the diesel gets released is buy a 2.5 gas.

Back