2014 Touring FWD doesn't run smooth

agaurav

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Fwd Touring
I have 56K miles on my 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD. I have had no issues since I bought it and did regular oil changes (every 7-9K miles). I recently notice that the car doesn't run smooth now. I drive in stop-n-go traffic in California Bay Area often. Or even on daily errands, when I slow down and then press the gas pedal, the car doesn't smoothly accelerate.

There is a fraction of second lag it seems and then seems to suddenly get more power. Or it appears as if the gas pedal is hard. Or if I ease my foot off the gas pedal then it doesn't gracefully slow down. My gas mileage has also reduced though granted that traffic is worse these days. I used to get 30-31 mpg in mixed driving conditions but only get 27-28 mpg. Things are roughly the same.

So I am wondering if something is going wrong? I do not go to expensive gas stations and feel that I buy from top tier gas stations but may be buying from cheap ones for sure (unbranded ones). Can I figure something out before bringing to the dealer and/or local service shop and have them charge me $$ to just diagnose?

Should I try adding something like BG44K or similar to try and see if it makes any improvements? Thanks for reading my long post and your suggestions/advice.

Last edited:
I have 56K miles on my 2015 CX-5 Touring FWD. I have had no issues since I bought it and did regular oil changes (every 7-9K miles). I recently notice that the car doesn't run smooth now. I drive in stop-n-go traffic in California Bay Area often. Or even on daily errands, when I slow down and then press the gas pedal, the car doesn't smoothly accelerate.
In US the scheduled spark plug replacement is 75,000 miles on 2013~2016 CX-5.

OP, are you saying you're using cheap Arco gas (sorry, I believe Arco gas now is top-tier) or non top-tier unbranded gas in Bay Area since your CX-5 is new? That definitely would be possible cause of your current problem as the long-term effect of using bad gas now starting to show up. Since our SkyActiv-G is a Direct-Injection engine and those fuel additives may not be as effective as in the old days. I'd go to Costco getting a box of Chevron Techron or auto parts store getting some RXP's (I prefer) just to try it out. While at Costco you can pump some cheap Costco top-tier gas (although my CX-5 only sees Shell gas) and pour in a bottle of Techron.

Other easy things you can try is to replace your engine air filter if it hasn't ever got replaced, and the cabin filter for yourself too. After a couple of weeks if the situation still has not improved I'd start to get expensive spark plugs replaced.

Check your tire pressures when cold (34~36 psi). And what kind of oil and filter you're using and how long they have been there? These should not be related to your recent problem though.

Lastly, do you have a 2014 or 2015 CX-5 FWD Touring?

From what I am reading, it sounds like the engine is running and idling smooth, but it is how the transmission is engaging when getting on and off the throttle?(uhm)

Do or can you get it out on a highway and do some heavy accelerating and driving at 70+mph. My 2014 with 41,000 miles runs better after some aggressive driving at highway speeds. I am in full agreement, that using a top tier fuel is well worth the extra few cents per gallon extra. Google top tier gas and find the ones in your area. Ed

Hi all - I did change both the cabin air filter and engine air filter myself about three months back. I do buy gas from Arco a lot as they are often the cheapest and I have been trying to pinch pennies (perhaps bad decision). I have bought from other smaller stations but always tried to see if they were top tier and I think they almost always are.

Seems that not all top-tier gas is born equal? I can most certainly try Costco gas (or Shell or Mobil) with a bottle of cleaner. Which is the best bet for CX5 Skyactiv and likely to cause least damage? Techron bought at Costco? RXP? BG44K?

I do have gas at 34 psi. I check it quite regularly and that didn't help with either the gas mileage or the hiccups. The car does seem to idle normally in the parking lot but it just might be a little louder than when I bought it. I am not sure if I have the balls to do heavy accelerating or driving at 70+ mph. Never done that but will try. Is the idea to get the engine super worked up to loosen something up?

Is there a way for me to debug and find out if the current plugs are not good short of taking them out? Or that transmission is misbehaving? Or even whether I truly have a problem or just imaging it? Will a OBD scanner tool report anything? Obviously I have no warning lights but would there be any real-time statistics that a tool can help with perhaps?

Thanks for being such a helpful crowd!

Hi all - I did change both the cabin air filter and engine air filter myself about three months back. I do buy gas from Arco a lot as they are often the cheapest and I have been trying to pinch pennies (perhaps bad decision). I have bought from other smaller stations but always tried to see if they were top tier and I think they almost always are.

Seems that not all top-tier gas is born equal? I can most certainly try Costco gas (or Shell or Mobil) with a bottle of cleaner. Which is the best bet for CX5 Skyactiv and likely to cause least damage? Techron bought at Costco? RXP? BG44K?

I do have gas at 34 psi. I check it quite regularly and that didn't help with either the gas mileage or the hiccups. The car does seem to idle normally in the parking lot but it just might be a little louder than when I bought it. I am not sure if I have the balls to do heavy accelerating or driving at 70+ mph. Never done that but will try. Is the idea to get the engine super worked up to loosen something up?

Is there a way for me to debug and find out if the current plugs are not good short of taking them out? Or that transmission is misbehaving? Or even whether I truly have a problem or just imaging it? Will a OBD scanner tool report anything? Obviously I have no warning lights but would there be any real-time statistics that a tool can help with perhaps?

Sounds to me like this might be the result of a life in the low rpm range and carbon accumulation, of course, it really could be "anything" at this point.

As to gas, I put whatever swill I want in my CX5, so long as its 87 octane or greater. It's never mattered a hill of beans so far as I can tell.

So do you have a 2014 or 2015 CX-5? ;)

Yeah not all top-tier gasolines are created equal. They use different additive packages and I personally like Shell's formula but I also trust Costo's as a good friend of mine his company supplies the package.

Do you remember anything you had done on your CX-5 right before your sluggish symptom started happening?

Since you did replace your air filter by yourself, do double check everything making sure there's no disconnected or damaged tubings which will cause vacuum leak.

OBDII reader won't help you here as you have no codes to display - no CEL.

If I were you I'd start with RXP or Techron with a tank of good gas first. Use the additive for at least 2 or 3 tanks of top-tier gas and see if anything changes. Do report back your result here.

Thanks. I fixed the post. I have a 2014 CX-5. Perhaps the problem started happening after my air filter change though it may have gradually happened to a point where I now feel bothered enough to come ask here :) I will check these hoses around the air filter and confirm. Maybe I did do something.

I went in for a recall repair yesterday - the trunk hatch damper replacement and got a completely green multi-point inspection. No issues reported by the Mazda service station so I do presume they didn't notice really out of the ordinary. Obviously they weren't looking for anything either.

Each bottle of a Techron is with a gas tank full, correct? So I wash-rinse-repeat, yes? Buy multiple bottles for multiple tanks of top-tier gas like Shell/Costco?

Thanks. I fixed the post. I have a 2014 CX-5. Perhaps the problem started happening after my air filter change though it may have gradually happened to a point where I now feel bothered enough to come ask here :) I will check these hoses around the air filter and confirm. Maybe I did do something.

I went in for a recall repair yesterday - the trunk hatch damper replacement and got a completely green multi-point inspection. No issues reported by the Mazda service station so I do presume they didn't notice really out of the ordinary. Obviously they weren't looking for anything either.

Each bottle of a Techron is with a gas tank full, correct? So I wash-rinse-repeat, yes? Buy multiple bottles for multiple tanks of top-tier gas like Shell/Costco?
Dealer checkup most of time is a good reference but then sometimes it's useless depending on who is the one doing it. You're the one knows the best of behavior changes on your CX-5. I also just got new liftgate lifters and I feel they're stronger and heavier than original ones so I regret I did it.

Do Check loose wiring connectors too while you're there!

You have to get a box of Techron's at Costco that'd be too many for you. Go to Walmart or auto store to get a couple. Usually use a bottle for a tankful of gas but read the instruction first. Techron is a popular fuel additive but I like RXP because I like its concept. Google them and see which one you like, or you can always try both and see which one is more effective, one tank at a time of course! ;)

It's been mentioned above, but I suggest rechecking your air filter install. Sometimes it's easy to get it pinched in the housing and not closing properly which could cause some performance issues.

Sounds to me like this might be the result of a life in the low rpm range and carbon accumulation, of course, it really could be "anything" at this point.

As to gas, I put whatever swill I want in my CX5, so long as its 87 octane or greater. It's never mattered a hill of beans so far as I can tell.

Agree on both points.

I am not sure if I have the balls to do heavy accelerating or driving at 70+ mph. Never done that but will try. Is the idea to get the engine super worked up to loosen something up?
You don't have to drive "fast", just make the engine run fast. Keep it in 4th or even 3rd on the highway at the speed limit [don't over rev!] for a few minutes. The idea is to blow the carbon out of the cylinders that may have built up if you tend to drive "slowly".

Good point. I did open the filter cover and confirmed that it was seated nice and square and that the cover was in the three tabs behind and the two front latches were nicely attached. Nothing obvious to a newbie like me!

I am going to put some Techron as soon as the tank goes near empty. I bought two cans from O'Reilly just now.

Agree on both points.

You don't have to drive "fast", just make the engine run fast. Keep it in 4th or even 3rd on the highway at the speed limit [don't over rev!] for a few minutes. The idea is to blow the carbon out of the cylinders that may have built up if you tend to drive "slowly".

I see. I can do that. Will try. I usually do drive at speed limit with a very light foot to try and "hyper-mile". I will try rev'ing for a few minutes and see if that helps.

⋯ I am going to put some Techron as soon as the tank goes near empty. I bought two cans from O'Reilly just now.
Dont wait, just go to a top-tier gas station right now pour a bottle of Techron and fill up the gas.

I see. I can do that. Will try. I usually do drive at speed limit with a very light foot to try and "hyper-mile". I will try rev'ing for a few minutes and see if that helps.

Don't watch the fuel consumption while you're doing it! Just do it!
Then go back to your old driving style. :)

If you have a nice hill nearby, especially a winding one, go up that in manual mode on your transmission. Get those rpms up there. These engines are like greyhounds. They want to run.

no modern engine is going to suffer from carbon buildup on the cylinders. the main thing that gets dirty and clogged from conservative driving are the fuel injectors, especially if it is a direct injection system.

third of fourth gear on the highway at the speed limit isnt going to do anything. the revs are gonna be up there, but the engine is not going to be under load, so you arent going to clean anything. the best way to physically clean out those injectors (and probably something within your exhaust system too) is by flooring the gas pedal and bringing it all the way up to the maximum engine speed, preferably up a hill in order to increase the load put on the engine. doing this more than once a week is exessive and won't do you any good, doing it less than once a week is going to cause you problems. if you have not driving the car aggressively in a while, doing 2-3 full throttle acceleration sprints is what you need, if you have the window open, you should notice a very strong smell emitted from your car. this is good. a very good thing.

if you have super high mileage, you can do all the full throttle pulls in the world, but once the injectors get dirty past a certain point, you will not be able to clean them without taking them out and physically cleaning them.

I am going to put some Techron as soon as the tank goes near empty. I bought two cans from O'Reilly just now.

Techron is great stuff, but it is not going to do anything for you unless you do that full throttle acceleration. when you are flooring it, the injectors open up to maximum capacity which will break free any s*** that has accumulated over time. in this case, a fuel injector cleaner will do wonders for you.

just get onto the highway at night or when traffic is mild, and using third gear keep the pedal pinned to the floor until the engine reaches redline. slow down a little, and then repeat another 1-2 more times and then drive the car normally again. after this, just be sure to regularly floor the car to keep things clean. I understand this is not part of your driving habits, but it is important.

no modern engine is going to suffer from carbon buildup on the cylinders. the main thing that gets dirty and clogged from conservative driving are the fuel injectors, especially if it is a direct injection system.

third of fourth gear on the highway at the speed limit isnt going to do anything. the revs are gonna be up there, but the engine is not going to be under load, so you arent going to clean anything. the best way to physically clean out those injectors (and probably something within your exhaust system too) is by flooring the gas pedal and bringing it all the way up to the maximum engine speed, preferably up a hill in order to increase the load put on the engine. doing this more than once a week is exessive and won't do you any good, doing it less than once a week is going to cause you problems. if you have not driving the car aggressively in a while, doing 2-3 full throttle acceleration sprints is what you need, if you have the window open, you should notice a very strong smell emitted from your car. this is good. a very good thing.

if you have super high mileage, you can do all the full throttle pulls in the world, but once the injectors get dirty past a certain point, you will not be able to clean them without taking them out and physically cleaning them.

Techron is great stuff, but it is not going to do anything for you unless you do that full throttle acceleration. when you are flooring it, the injectors open up to maximum capacity which will break free any s*** that has accumulated over time. in this case, a fuel injector cleaner will do wonders for you.

just get onto the highway at night or when traffic is mild, and using third gear keep the pedal pinned to the floor until the engine reaches redline. slow down a little, and then repeat another 1-2 more times and then drive the car normally again. after this, just be sure to regularly floor the car to keep things clean. I understand this is not part of your driving habits, but it is important.

Boi

Back