What have you done to your CX-5 today?

No, I personally don't feel any dragging whenever I have a chance driving the CX-5 (wife's DD).

Of course not. Ywrei is getting every TSB done whether he needs it or not. He's taking NO chances.
This guy MAZDA'S! hehehe

I'd hate to be your dealer. "Oh, geez, here he comes again..."
:D

Of course not. Ywrei is getting every TSB done whether he needs it or not. He's taking NO chances.
This guy MAZDA'S! hehehe

Eh, might as well if it's no cost. But agreed.

There are some TSB's I probably should have done during warranty but I was too lazy to do them at the time, and eh, car works just fine.

This guy MAZDA'S! hehehe

It's funny that you think my Mazda dealer is willing to do any TSBs for me which's not legit and charges to MNAO? My CX-5 does have most problems described in TSBs, or the head master tech took time to verify the symptom, and they're happy to fix them and get paid by Mazda! Of course if you owned a Mazda dealer with such attitude towards customers, I'd never go to your dealership to have any service done!

This EPB dragging issue is not easy to feel, even our very knowledgeable Anchorman needed to pull his fancy temperature gauge to measure disk temperature and compare. It won't show too much symptom unless you actually take the wheels off and check. And that's what the head master tech did.

Last edited:
No, I personally don't feel any dragging whenever I have a chance driving the CX-5 (wife's DD). We don't use automatic-release feature at all on EPB either (hate the Auto Hold Mode EPB featured on 2017 CX-5 loaner). Originally I didn't put too much hope on it getting revised rear calipers although I really wanted to after I read the TSB. The first tech didn't approve the replacement, but he also stated I already have revised rear calipers! I use that talked to head of master mechanic and he agreed to take rear wheels off and check any sign of unbalanced wear on left and right pads in person. He did find some, and agreed to replace everything. He also said he personally has done this TSB on several 2016 CX-5's.

No, recalls will be performed for free even without warranty, but TSBs can only be performed for free under warranty. That's why I went through all TSBs I could find before I took our CX-5 in for last-chance new-car warranty service.

BTW, I really regret to get liftgate lifters replaced under the recall, although I did have a chance to decline. The revised ones are too strong and stiff to my taste. and the liftgate is a bit lower when open. The revised upper brackets attached to lifters look big and ugly too.

Thanks for the info.

When you say, "automatic-release feature at all on EPB", you mean to just start driving without flipping the parking brake switch? We don't do that in our CX-5, we always check to make sure the parking brake is off before driving.

I believe the lift gate recall has been done on our CX-5, but I honestly didn't notice any difference. I also didn't really do a before and after check so I probably just don't notice it.

Eh, might as well if it's no cost. But agreed.

There are some TSB's I probably should have done during warranty but I was too lazy to do them at the time, and eh, car works just fine.
Among TSBs related to my 2016 CX-5 I only picked those I do have symptoms and those Mazda coming out with revised parts to fix the issues (meaning original design is having issues). I believe 7eregrine is happy to pay thousands for his rear calipers and LED headlights after his warranty expired! ;)

Thanks for the info.

When you say, "automatic-release feature at all on EPB", you mean to just start driving without flipping the parking brake switch? We don't do that in our CX-5, we always check to make sure the parking brake is off before driving.

I believe the lift gate recall has been done on our CX-5, but I honestly didn't notice any difference. I also didn't really do a before and after check so I probably just don't notice it.
Yeah that's what I meant on automatic-release feature on EPB. I do believe using that feature would shorten the EPB lifespan including rear pads. Like you we always release EPB manually.

Service Adviser Victor wanted me to sign a waiver if I opted not do the liftgate recall as I heard the new lifters would make the liftgate lower when opens. I didn't do before-and-after check but Victor only wanted to show me the liftgate is not too low when opens. Then I spotted a couple of things got screwed up and began to check things more.

First name basis? They must love you coming in through the door.

Wait until you buy your next Mazda, if there is a next.
Yeah I'll wait until you buy your first Mazda oil filter, if there is a first!

It's funny that you think my Mazda dealer is willing to do any TSBs for me which's not legit and charges to MNAO? My CX-5 does have most problems described in TSBs, or the head master tech took time to verify the symptom, and they're happy to fix them and get paid by Mazda! Of course if you owned a Mazda dealer with such attitude towards customers, I'd never go to your dealership to have any service done!

I'm just teasing you man but you even said you noticed no issue with your brakes... still gets them replaced.
Hey, more power to ya'. Can you take my car to the dealer and make all that happen? :D

Is there a full list of TSB's somewhere?

I'm just teasing you man but you even said you noticed no issue with your brakes... still gets them replaced.
Hey, more power to ya'. Can you take my car to the dealer and make all that happen? :D

Is there a full list of TSB's somewhere?

Wow. IBTL. Say it ain’t so.

i'd take free brakes! mine were wearing early, and I was told it was normal, despite the friggin' EPB TSB. One more reason my CX5 went bye-bye.

Go yrwei52! Don't let others bother you about making sure you have the best and most up-to-date parts on your car.

With regard to the checks I did in order to get the warranty done, I think the best way is to go armed so I took the TSB and photos showing the temps. They were quite amenable and sorted it all out and then my car got stolen and that was the end of that.

Now its been replaced with the 17 and although I was more than happy with the 2016.5, this new one is a gem. Just to clarify about the brakes on this one, the EPB will auto release on drive off and that literally is after the brakes have been mechanically applied by the motor. The auto hold (which I think is superb and I use all the time) is pressurised fluid on all four brakes. The pressure is released automatically as the car is driven and even with the stop start shutting the engine down it is very smooth. Id hate to be without it now.

Ive attached the TSB again in case anyone wants a read.

Attachments

• Brake Noise from REAR BRAKE_Trace of Rear Brake Dragging.pdf
    373.8 KB · Views: 136
the EPB will auto release on drive off and that literally is after the brakes have been mechanically applied by the motor. The auto hold (which I think is superb and I use all the time) is pressurised fluid on all four brakes. The pressure is released automatically as the car is driven and even with the stop start shutting the engine down it is very smooth. Id hate to be without it now.

I also love autohold.
I find the EPB automatic release to be less smooth than autohold, and dislike it.
Have you noticed that the EPB will not autorelease if your seatbelt is not fastened?!

Does anyone know of a way to cause autohold to be ON by default ??

i'd take free brakes! mine were wearing early, and I was told it was normal, despite the friggin' EPB TSB. One more reason my CX5 went bye-bye.

Go yrwei52! Don't let others bother you about making sure you have the best and most up-to-date parts on your car.
Thank you!

With regard to the checks I did in order to get the warranty done, I think the best way is to go armed so I took the TSB and photos showing the temps. They were quite amenable and sorted it all out and then my car got stolen and that was the end of that.

Now its been replaced with the 17 and although I was more than happy with the 2016.5, this new one is a gem. Just to clarify about the brakes on this one, the EPB will auto release on drive off and that literally is after the brakes have been mechanically applied by the motor. The auto hold (which I think is superb and I use all the time) is pressurised fluid on all four brakes. The pressure is released automatically as the car is driven and even with the stop start shutting the engine down it is very smooth. Id hate to be without it now.

Ive attached the TSB again in case anyone wants a read.
Thank you Anchorman I always thought Auto Hold is utilizing EPB to lock the car up as the button is right next to it?

BTW, I just checked a How-To thread ATF Drain/Fill where you had kindly posted transmission related pdf files by my request but now theyre no longer there. Would you mind to look into it?

Thank you Anchorman I always thought Auto Hold is utilizing EPB to lock the car up as the button is right next to it?

BTW, I just checked a How-To thread ATF Drain/Fill where you had kindly posted transmission related pdf files by my request but now they’re no longer there. Would you mind to look into it?

Yes, I’ll look over weekend. Bear with me.

I also love autohold.
I find the EPB automatic release to be less smooth than autohold, and dislike it.
Have you noticed that the EPB will not autorelease if your seatbelt is not fastened?!

Does anyone know of a way to cause autohold to be ON by default ??

The EPB is very good for people that don’t like handbrake starts or pulling a trailer but it can hold back if it is rushed. However if it is given time, it does come off smoothly.

Back