What is "Transfer oil"?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I recently changed by rear differential oil at dealership as per dealership recommendation. I just checked by CX-5 schedule and there's an entry for TRANSFER OIL. What is TRANSFER OIL? Is it ATF? If not - can someone advise me where its present? What's the recommended schedule to have it changed? What oil I need to use please?

The transfer oil you referred to should be the gear lubricant for front transfer case. It uses the same Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 used for rear differential on your 2016 CX-5 AWD. Your dealer should always change both front transfer case and rear differential fluids at the same time. Check with your dealer if they actually have done that. And front transfer case is located next to transmission or transaxle case, and it provides the power to rear differential via the drive shaft. FWD CX-5 doesnt have front transfer case like AWD CX-5.

Heres one of the best discussions for DIYers on front transfer case and rear differential:

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

The “transfer oil” you referred to should be the gear lubricant for front transfer case. It uses the same Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 used for rear differential on your 2016 CX-5 AWD. Your dealer should always change both front transfer case and rear differential fluids at the same time. Check with your dealer if they actually have done that. And front transfer case is located next to transmission or transaxle case, and it provides the power to rear differential via the drive shaft. FWD CX-5 doesn’t have front transfer case like AWD CX-5.

Here’s one of the best discussions for DIYers on front transfer case and rear differential:

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

Very, very strange but thank you.

Just now called up 3 random Mazda dealerships and all of them said the same thing - rear differential exchange is just that - rear differential. Front transfer case : they have never exchanged and as per them its ONLY exchanged when transmission fluid is changed and they use the same ATF fluid for the front transfer case.

*No LSD so no friction modifier needed.

*No diff in front. IIRC CV joints go directly into transmission.

*Here is info on Transfer Case

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.16%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.25%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.38%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.23.13%20PM.png
Fortunately I have a lot of those fluid hand pumps for my misc powersport equipment.

Looks pretty easy... I agree it smells bad so keep lots of rags around you will throw away after changing it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-21%20at%204.22.22%20PM.png

Just now called up 3 random Mazda dealerships and all of them said the same thing - rear differential exchange is just that - rear differential. Front transfer case : they have never exchanged and as per them its ONLY exchanged when transmission fluid is changed and they use the same ATF fluid for the front transfer case.

Yikes... they are putting in ATF fluid in front transfer.

Perhaps those dealerships need to purchase their own set of Factory Service Manuals. :)

I agree it should be gear oil. It should be filled with the correct amount which brings it near the level plug......

Exactly what the others are telling you, the transfer case and the rear diff use the same gear oil. Those dealerships who are telling you otherwise are clueless. That's scary.

How may miles did you have on your CX-5 when your dealership recommended changing your rear diff lube?

I agree it should be gear oil. It should be filled with the correct amount which brings it near the level plug......
The capacity on front transfer case has no issues - 0.45 US quarts will make the level reaches the bottom of the oil level plug hole.

The capacity of gear lubricant on rear differential is a totally different story though. ;)

Fight with dealerships still going on. I sent them everything. They are saying their discussion with senior tech. folks in Mazda Corp US also confirms otherwise - i.e. contrary to what's stated in this thread!!

Fight with dealerships still going on. I sent them everything. They are saying their discussion with senior tech. folks in Mazda Corp US also confirms otherwise - i.e. contrary to what's stated in this thread!!

It's in black and white, post #4 above. How can that be disputed since it comes directly from Mazda? It's all in the owner's manual to boot! Either someone is being less than truthful or they are clueless.

Tell them to RTM!

is this a multi-brand dealership? i only ask because my QX70 uses transmission fluid in the transfer case. maybe they're mixing up their vehicles?!?

Final decision from dealership and they showed me the communication they received direct from Mazda Corporate Office, USA. The summarized version is provided below

Based on the below published schedule - Mazda Corp. recommends changing the rear differential oil at 30,000 miles. However replacement of front transfer case oil is only to be executed if the car has suffered from water, i.e. submerged in water. Not doing the front transfer case will not void any warranty. This is clearly mentioned in the owner manual. Replace oil only if submerged in water. If customer demands - please execute with labor and other relevant costs borne by customer as per dealership costs. However, notify customer of Mazda's recommendation and further notify potential and possible complications with power train warranty moving forward if executed.

30,000 Mile
Mazda Recommended (S2)
Inspect brake fluid level
Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
Inspect disc brakes
Inspect driveshaft dust boots
Inspect engine coolant level
Inspect front and rear suspension, ball joints and wheel bearing axial play
Inspect fuel lines and hoses
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect steering operation and linkages
Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear
Inspect washer fluid level
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace rear differential oil
Rotate tires
Tighten bolts and nuts on chassis and body

is this a multi-brand dealership? i only ask because my QX70 uses transmission fluid in the transfer case. maybe they're mixing up their vehicles?!?

That reminds me... need to service the transfer case on my G35x. IIRC...it's Nissan Matic-D

If one was servicing their own diffs on the CX-5...I can't imagine not doing the transfer. It is even easier than the back. I thought Chris mentioned the front transfer on his was quite dark compared to the rear diff which was fairly clean.

Self-service video:

Last edited:
Guys - that's what I plan to do - either a DIY or in a small shop I know.

Also - read the last part of what dealership showed me. My recommendation: avoid dealership at all for this change.

Thats not the front diff, its the transfer box.
Yes, the YouTube video shouldnt say Front Differential! The fluid hes changing is Front Transfer Case gear lubricant!

For CX-5 and most CUVs FWD, the front differential is within automatic transmission box and uses the ATF for lubrication. People also call it transaxle for the whole unit. For AWD a seperate front transfer case is piggybacked to the transmission or transaxle transferring power to the rear differential via a drive shaft. Front transfer case uses gear lubricant as its an independent unit and gear lub apparently is better suitable for all the gears inside. This design is also easier for car manufacture changing FWD configuration to AWD. I guess thats why sometimes even dealers are getting confused! ;)

Yes, the YouTube video shouldn’t say “Front Differential”! The fluid he’s changing is “Front Transfer Case” gear lubricant!

For CX-5 and most CUV’s FWD, the front differential is within automatic transmission box and uses the ATF for lubrication. People also call it “transaxle” for the whole unit. For AWD a seperate front transfer case is piggybacked to the transmission or transaxle transferring power to the rear differential via a drive shaft. Front transfer case uses gear lubricant as it’s an independent unit and gear lub apparently is better suitable for all the gears inside. This design is also easier for car manufacture changing FWD configuration to AWD. I guess that’s why sometimes even dealers are getting confused! ;)

That’s a perfect description 52.

Yeah.. it's hard for me to refrain from calling it a front diff since it visually looks like one but realize it is basically a transfer case

You do have a good description below

Yes, the YouTube video shouldn’t say “Front Differential”! The fluid he’s changing is “Front Transfer Case” gear lubricant!

For CX-5 and most CUV’s FWD, the front differential is within automatic transmission box and uses the ATF for lubrication. People also call it “transaxle” for the whole unit. For AWD a seperate front transfer case is piggybacked to the transmission or transaxle transferring power to the rear differential via a drive shaft. Front transfer case uses gear lubricant as it’s an independent unit and gear lub apparently is better suitable for all the gears inside. This design is also easier for car manufacture changing FWD configuration to AWD. I guess that’s why sometimes even dealers are getting confused! ;)

Back