US Diesel's big splash introduction

Have any of you folks waiting for the US diesel signed up for the updates/news releases from Mazda? If so, have there been any?

I did months ago. I would say I haven't gotten any emails, but now that other people say there was one, maybe there was. If there was, it contained no information and I've purged it from memory.

I know I have posted this previously but as a reference for USA future owners, our diesel fuel figures are as follows:

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100lm (39.20 USA mpg)

Note - these figures are for AWD
I would love those kind of figures.

Have any of you folks waiting for the US diesel signed up for the updates/news releases from Mazda? If so, have there been any?
I did last week when I saw the 2017 Diesel listed as a future vehicle. No updates yet.
the 2017 is quite intriguing considering it's launching in Q4. Why not just call it a damn 2018. who knows, maybe it'll be a last minute change by Mazda.

I know I have posted this previously but as a reference for USA future owners, our diesel fuel figures are as follows:

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100lm (39.20 USA mpg)

Note - these figures are for AWD

Are these for the roughly 150 hp or the roughly 175 hp engine?

This is very interesting. I'm due my first service in a couple of weeks and the oil level has risen about 1cm over the full level mark at 10,000 miles (mostly long journeys). The level was halfway between min and max when new with 3 miles on it.

Yes, its been reported on here that engines come short of oil but in fact, Ive changed engine oil a couple of times on the 2016.5 and when the required 5.1 litres is added, it always shows about 5 or 6mm under full. That makes some sense because the upper mark is the max and not necessarily the exact mark of a full sump. Ill keep updating you but so far so good. Theyve definitely done something. The new engine has new pistons and presumably new oil control rings that work. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Had a trip of 100 miles today. First 20 steep hills then mostly flat. This is the end result

IMG_3838.jpg

And nice to see the blue moving average pip on the top side of 40

IMG_3839.jpg

Had a trip of 100 miles today. First 20 steep hills then mostly flat. This is the end result

IMG_3838.jpg

And nice to see the blue moving average pip on the top side of 40

IMG_3839.jpg
These figures should be based on Imperial gallon, right?

Like the way it shows the average MPG on the LCD "analog" MPG gauge.

Works out about 36.3 US mpg. That's the tank average since fill up.

That is more than 10mpg higher than my 23.6 mpg on 87octane petrol...
But considering if the Diesel does happen it will be GT trim only with a price hike ....[emoji31]

But considering if the Diesel does happen it will be GT trim only with a price hike ....[emoji31]

Diesel on top spec Akera here is $3150.00 more than petrol equivalent

If you already have a cx5, it's never going to be worth the trade in losses and differential to go deisel if MPG money saving is the goal. However, it may be worth it from a road trip or towing or convenience perspective.

If you already have a cx5, it's never going to be worth the trade in losses and differential to go deisel if MPG money saving is the goal. However, it may be worth it from a road trip or towing or convenience perspective.

(iagree) with your points.

If one is consistently travelling long distances via freeways then yes it does make sense provided it will be kept for a while

It's an experience if you like driving too. You can pass any car with ease without much effort but if you start playing at V6 mode, the fuel consumption drops through the floor.

It's an experience if you like driving too. You can pass any car with ease without much effort but if you start playing at V6 mode, the fuel consumption drops through the floor.

Only use when necessary (wink)

Only use when necessary (wink)

Yes absolutely. You can make real progress when necessary or simply have tremendous fun. I drive to work over some really steep rolling hills and this engine just flattens them out. It's surprising how many seem to resent being passed like it's some kind of affront and will even close a gap but they are powerless to stop it happening;-). Their engine won't react quick enough unless it's one of the higher end petrols. We get a lot of six cylinder diesels in the big German cars, they can play with me if they want providing it isn't auntie Deidre out for a drive.

Back