What did you pay for your CX-5?

I'm having a difficult time negotiating with dealers, as there are very few vehicles in stock that meet my requirements.

What are your thoughts on the following deal...
- 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
- Machine Grey Metallic
- No other options/accessories
- $28,250 + TTL

Base MSRP - $29,645
Paint - $300
Destination - $975

Total MSRP - $30,920

8.6% discount. Not the worst, not the best.

It seems like there are better options out there aftermarket, but I've never worked on a car before and I'm tempted to simply purchase everything through the dealership to keep it simple.

My opinion is that if the simplicity is worth the extra money, then it's worth the extra money.

On the other hand, 7 is correct. There are cheaper options.

I've been trying to purchase a new 2017 GT FWD in Missouri for $27k out the door (plus taxes, registration, etc on top of that) and I'm having a difficult time with the local dealers. The local price seems to be stuck at $28.5k, which seems pretty high for a 2017. What do you guys think? Am I better off waiting for a used one?

I've been trying to purchase a new 2017 GT FWD in Missouri for $27k out the door (plus taxes, registration, etc on top of that) and I'm having a difficult time with the local dealers. The local price seems to be stuck at $28.5k, which seems pretty high for a 2017. What do you guys think? Am I better off waiting for a used one?

Edit: Just re-read your post. OTD pricing is what the price is with taxes, registration, etc.

If you are using $27k as OTD pricing (including taxes, registration, etc.) with the dealers, could be why.

Otherwise, $27k (sale price, not OTD) on a $30k MSRP 2017 seems reasonable to me at a 10% discount (not bad, not great). $28.5k (sale price, not OTD) being only a 5% discount. Not great. Is this with or without Premium?

Last edited:
My opinion is that if the simplicity is worth the extra money, then it's worth the extra money.

On the other hand, 7 is correct. There are cheaper options.

Thanks - that is a fair point, and since I'm never towing anything even approaching the limit of the hitch or trailer, it may not matter too much.

Quick follow-up question: Do I have to provide my trade-in info in order to get the final pricing from the dealership? Or are those two things typically separate [final sales price, trade in value]? Salesman is [lightly] pressuring me to come in this week and take advantage of Pres. Day sales event, but I'm in no rush and would prefer not to miss anything by moving too fast. On the other than, there only appear to be about 5-7 decisions to make on options. Maybe I'm just overthinking it! :)

My friend at Mazda said this is a good week to buy. You might just have an honest dealer trying to save you money.
Bring up the trade early, Imo. It's another bargaining chip. Offers you $x,000 and ask for more. I haggled an extra grand off because of the trade.

End of quarter is best of any 17 are left. Also, go to carmax, get a free apraisal on your trade. Use that as a baseline. In many states the tradein lowers sales tax, so even a lower tradein may be better then a later sale of the used car.

The 0% APR financing deal that is on right now, two quick questions about that:

1) It says 'must take retail delivery from dealer stock by 2/28'. Does that mean it's got to be a car they have on the lot?
2) The ad says that it expires 2/28. How real is that? If I qualify but they don't have the options I want on a car in stock, does the dealership have any flexibility in working with me on the timing or is that something that is pushed out by Mazda and it is done when it's done?

The 0% APR financing deal that is on right now, two quick questions about that:

1) It says 'must take retail delivery from dealer stock by 2/28'. Does that mean it's got to be a car they have on the lot?
2) The ad says that it expires 2/28. How real is that? If I qualify but they don't have the options I want on a car in stock, does the dealership have any flexibility in working with me on the timing or is that something that is pushed out by Mazda and it is done when it's done?

The offer is from Mazda - the dealer has no flexibility. If the car isn't on their lot, they need to be able to get it from another lot and you sign the contract by 2/28 - so a VIN Number is required.

Mazda does run new promotions, there may be another one for March, or it may not appear again for a few months. It is all from Mazda credit, not the dealer. A lot depends on sales. If sales are strong, they have no reason to offer 0% - this is how they entice buyers.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense, thank you. I'm not in any rush, so I think if I can't find the car I'm looking for I'll just wait for it to roll around again - if it doesn't come up in March, there should be something comparable around Memorial day.

Edit: Just re-read your post. OTD pricing is what the price is with taxes, registration, etc.

If you are using $27k as OTD pricing (including taxes, registration, etc.) with the dealers, could be why.

Otherwise, $27k (sale price, not OTD) on a $30k MSRP 2017 seems reasonable to me at a 10% discount (not bad, not great). $28.5k (sale price, not OTD) being only a 5% discount. Not great. Is this with or without Premium?

In Missouri, all the sales taxes and title are paid after the purchase at the DMV by the buyer. So the $28.5 is what the dealer wants before all the taxes and it is for a 2017 CX5 GT FWD parchment without a premium package.

In Missouri, all the sales taxes and title are paid after the purchase at the DMV by the buyer. So the $28.5 is what the dealer wants before all the taxes and it is for a 2017 CX5 GT FWD parchment without a premium package.

EVERYONE PLEASE...

Do NOT post OTD pricing on this forum.

It is completely useless when attempting to accurately compare prices paid.

All fees charged by your local & state government (tax, title, license, registration, ect) should be EXCLUDED from the prices you post here.

EVERYONE PLEASE...

Do NOT post OTD pricing on this forum.

It is completely useless when attempting to accurately compare prices paid.

All fees charged by your local & state government (tax, title, license, registration, ect) should be EXCLUDED from the prices you post here.

Piggy-backing on what bluegrass said - I think people should also exclude rebates and incentives from their 'sale price', or at least list them out separately. The reasoning behind not including these in the 'sale price' is because Mazda offers you the option to either take cash rebates OR take a special financing rate. Here is an example of two hypothetical scenarios where the actual 'sale price' is the same, but the OTD pricing is different based on the incentive and rebates.

CUSTOMER A
Sale Price: $27,000
Rebates: $1,750
Finance Rate: 3.00%
OTD Price: $25,250 + TTF

CUSTOMER B
Sale Price: $27,000
Rebates: $0
Finance Rate: 0%
OTD Price: $27,000 + TTF

Both of these customers have gotten the same 'sale price' from the dealer, but chose different cash-back/financing options. If Customer A had of come to the message board and said he got a 'sale price' of $25,250 and Customer B posted he had a 'sale price' of $27,000, it would be reasonable to assume Customer A got the better deal. However, in reality they both got the same price from the dealer but utilized their incentives and rebates differently.

Last edited:

So again, that would not be called the "Out the door" price. This is sale price, which is more useful anyway. Was just confusing when you referred to it as OTD.

So looking at exact numbers, as a sale price, $28,500 and assuming the color is not red, white, grey (you did not say, they cost extra), than that is MSRP $30,335 which makes $28.5k a 6% discount. Not great for a 2017.

If it's red on the other hand, that would be MSRP of $30,930 which makes $28.5k a 7.85% discount. Slightly better, still not great for a 2017.

Got the following offer through Costco Auto sales person:

2018 GT + Premium, Wheel Locks, Parking Sensors, Blue

MSRP: 33,845
Offer: 32,270

He said the Costco standard program is $200 below Invoice fee. I'm going to keep shopping around, this seems pretty thin compared to some other posted deals.

At end of January bought a 2017 white GT AWD + Premium, roof rails, all weather floor mats and cargo mat for $28,548. Breaks down like this:

Vehicle price: $30,003 (inc freight)
Dealer Processing $295
Rebate $1,750

Has anyone else noticed that the KBB price for USED 2017 CX-5s is holding up amazingly well?

Got the following offer through Costco Auto sales person:

2018 GT + Premium, Wheel Locks, Parking Sensors, Blue

MSRP: 33,845
Offer: 32,270

He said the Costco standard program is $200 below Invoice fee. I'm going to keep shopping around, this seems pretty thin compared to some other posted deals.

Yeah, that is not a great deal. Anyone can get $200 under invoice. Maybe no great deals on 2018 yet.

Has anyone else noticed that the KBB price for USED 2017 CX-5s is holding up amazingly well?
No but not surprised. Mazda said more then a year ago they wanted to get resale value higher and it shows. Mazda is gaining a strong reputation of being reliable. CPO sales are up and have been for months which improves resale. Incentives were cut back which helps. Anytime a maker offers giant incentives, resale suffers (looking at you Jeep). The new 6 is sure to be a hit.
These are good days at Mazda.

Back