US Diesel's big splash introduction

But did you visit them before air quality regulations began? My point is that the regulations have improved the air, which most people would agree is a worthwhile goal. Perhaps you disagree.

I don't disagree with regulations. I am all for better air quality but seems they are pushing it a bit too far and manufactures are having a hard time meeting the targets.

I don't disagree with regulations. I am all for better air quality but seems they are pushing it a bit too far and manufactures are having a hard time meeting the targets.

One man's "too far" is another's "not far enough". Manufacturers have always pushed back against any kind of regulation, said they couldn't do it, it would ruin them, blah, blah... and yet they meet them when they're forced to. It's all about their bottom line.

So what if the US doesn't get the diesel? I'd rather have cleaner air. Every little bit helps.

You didn't answer, so I guess you didn't visit when the air was bad. You have no basis for comparison.

It looks like Volvo took the CX5 design and straightened a few curved lines out. It does rate very well though. The robots/workers in Ghent build a decent car.

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. We appreciate your interest in the diesel technology but at this time, we do not have an ETA for when it will be available in the US. However, we do remain committed to bringing the Diesel engine to the US Market. Our goal, as with all of our vehicles, is to to make sure that the engine technology meets US standards as well as providing the performance and quality that we expect."

I read this as we have absolutely no fargin idea but even if we did we were told to puke out the same bs canned reply to any and everyone until we hear otherwise..but hey thanks for choosing Mazda for all your organic fertilizer needs;)

I read this as we have absolutely no fargin idea but even if we did we were told to puke out the same bs canned reply to any and everyone until we hear otherwise..but hey thanks for choosing Mazda for all your organic fertilizer needs;)

Would you prefer a phony date? If they don't know, they don't know.

Would you prefer a phony date? If they don't know, they don't know.

I'd prefer they say "our latest release candidate passed EPA certification but still have work to do for CARB, next testing window is in April. We have a plan to address the concerns in that window, and if it goes as expected units will be in showrooms in July".

Or, "we were confident that we had the formula last November, but the changing emissions standard and test agency delays have made us reconsider, in light of our other promising technologies on the horizon. We are still developing diesel technology but have no specific plans to introduce it to the United States". In other words, "move along, there's nothing to see here". At least I'd be free to go find the next best car.

Didn't ask for an eta..made it clear that i and others here would like to know is the damn thing coming or not, period.
Would you prefer any BS? They're telling you the awful, painful truth: they don't know.

The people you get to talk to are just worker bees, anyway. If they want to keep their job, they toe the company line, they don't improvise.

I'd prefer they say "our latest release candidate passed EPA certification but still have work to do for CARB, next testing window is in April. We have a plan to address the concerns in that window, and if it goes as expected units will be in showrooms in July".

Or, "we were confident that we had the formula last November, but the changing emissions standard and test agency delays have made us reconsider, in light of our other promising technologies on the horizon. We are still developing diesel technology but have no specific plans to introduce it to the United States". In other words, "move along, there's nothing to see here". At least I'd be free to go find the next best car.
Corporations are generally not forthcoming. They play it close to the vest. It's safe to assume that the situation is in flux, maybe even chaotic [governemental and/or corporate]. They've apparently decided that it's in their best interests to not divulge, assuming they even had any solid info they could. They must have more important considerations than the needs of the few people who are actively desiring this product.

I sympathize with your frustration, but there's no use complaining.

If you buy me a nice cpo Q5 tdi Id certainly take it..other than that yes but none that I want..Santa Fe is reportedly coming but doubt Ill be yearning for that.

Last edited:
If you buy me a nice cpo Q5 tdi Id certainly take it..other than that yes but none that I want..Santa Fe is reportedly coming but doubt Ill be yearning for that.

Why not? Better resale value than a Mazda, at least. Makes it a smarter buy at least from that perspective, and I hear they have modern interiors that actually feature live traffic nav, apple and android carplay/auto (yes...even on the base models....OUCH!), etc...
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe/specifications.aspx

No, Mazda is having a hard time. Screw Mazda if they can't figure it out, they will self-select and we will be better without them, as a society. Seriously, everyone else has got it down, Mazda is the only one floundering. If anything needs to change, it's Mazda. Not everyone else. I know I own a Mazda, but if they cannot stay current, why should they be relevant in the future? I'd be just as happy in any other brand, provided it was reliable and relevant.

No, Mazda is having a hard time. Screw Mazda if they can't figure it out, they will self-select and we will be better without them, as a society. Seriously, everyone else has got it down, Mazda is the only one floundering. If anything needs to change, it's Mazda. Not everyone else. I know I own a Mazda, but if they cannot stay current, why should they be relevant in the future? I'd be just as happy in any other brand, provided it was reliable and relevant.
Mazda have got it down everywhere else. Just seems USA and Canada is the issue which says alot about the regulations there.

It should be remembered that the others are much larger manufacturers that have the vast resources to get things done. Mazda is not even close to being in the same league. Maybe they need to try harder I don't know since I don't work for them and don't know their inner workings.

If they go off making vehicles I like, I'll leave them without hesitation. Did that to another brand that I liked for close to 30 years. I dropped them and moved to Mazda. They are still around but their current range of vehicles is IMO below par.

XC40 might be small but all cars are a compromise in some way. Pricing of 32k really hits mazda territory. That interior though and seats with safety tech makes it very compelling.
More than diesel I am waiting to see range extender EV with rotary engine. That's interesting. 2020 is debatable though.

Mazda have got it down everywhere else. Just seems USA and Canada is the issue which says alot about the regulations there.

It should be remembered that the others are much larger manufacturers that have the vast resources to get things done. Mazda is not even close to being in the same league. Maybe they need to try harder I don't know since I don't work for them and don't know their inner workings.

If they go off making vehicles I like, I'll leave them without hesitation. Did that to another brand that I liked for close to 30 years. I dropped them and moved to Mazda. They are still around but their current range of vehicles is IMO below par.

My take is that if Mazda doesn't have the money to cash the check, they shouldn't have run their mouths to write it. No pity, no excuse, no nothing. They promised, they are so far failing to deliver. Had they not promised it, I wouldn't be negative about this at all, but they did, and now they are failing to deliver.

My take is that if Mazda doesn't have the money to cash the check, they shouldn't have run their mouths to write it. No pity, no excuse, no nothing. They promised, they are so far failing to deliver. Had they not promised it, I wouldn't be negative about this at all, but they did, and now they are failing to deliver.
Look like Mazda North American HQ is the one that ran their mouths not Mazda proper themselves

Last edited:
Probably the strict rules in emission is also part of the government effort to force the manufacturers to shift to non fossil fuel based vehicles.

Back