What did you pay for your CX-5?

No. Sorry, you do not understand.

I understand that (in this thread) there are some buyers who have listed dealer fees which other buyers did not pay. The assortment of fee types some dealers charge but others do not is precisely why out the door (OTD) pricing is the most sensible number for this thread.
It's not perfect (because tax rates may differ from about $200 to $700), but it's better than opening the door to the wide array of dealer fees.

I understand that (in this thread) there are some buyers who have listed dealer fees which other buyers did not pay. The assortment of fee types some dealers charge but others do not is precisely why out the door (OTD) pricing is the most sensible number for this thread.
It's not perfect (because tax rates may differ from about $200 to $700), but it's better than opening the door to the wide array of dealer fees.
You are mistaking this I think. Sale price is literally the sale price of the vehicle only, sans any taxes and fees. Since we can all easily look up MSRP, makes it very simple to say if it is a good deal or not.

Can't get any simpler than that for asking "did I get a good deal?".

Wow really...think again. Some states have no tax whereas a 10% tax on say 32,000 is what....$3200? Big difference!

Sorry I get what you are saying for OTD being all you care about as the person paying, but again, makes zero sense for a thread like this where the variation of taxed and fees is absolutely large enough to make it not an apples to apples comparison.

New Hampshire, Delaware, Oregon, Alaska, and Montana are the States with no sales tax. How many buyers in this thread are from those States ?
Again, for practical purposes, the average difference in sales tax owed is about $375.

New Hampshire, Delaware, Oregon, Alaska, and Montana are the States with no sales tax. How many buyers in this thread are from those States ?
Again, for practical purposes, the average difference in sales tax owed is about $375.
Where are you pulling that number from?

I also edited my post you quoted to say "no to low taxes".

You are mistaking this I think. Sale price is literally the sale price of the vehicle only, sans any taxes and fees. Since we can all easily look up MSRP, makes it very simple to say if it is a good deal or not.

Can't get any simpler than that for asking "did I get a good deal?".

Not really.
For example, some buyers (mistakenly) think they got a good deal because they look at their dealer's "starting price" (discount from MSRP). But the reality is that the dealer may be adding fees to the final price which favors the dealer (not the car buyer). Here in this thread there are examples of same.

Yeah tax rates...again where'd you pull this number?

Are you factoring localities that push that "7%" rate up to 10%, etc.?

Yes, for example in my State the $7.25% , when adding local county tax, becomes $=8.5%. Most locations have a car buyer tax obligation composed of State plus local. And the bottom line difference (from location to location) , when discussing the purchase of a CX-5, averages about $375.

Yes, for example in my State the $7.25% , when adding local county tax, becomes $=8.5%. Most locations have a car buyer tax obligation composed of State plus local. And the bottom line difference (from location to location) , when discussing the purchase of a CX-5, averages about $375.
You know what. This is becoming a needlessly complicated discussion. What purpose does it serve to discuss national averages when someone can come on here and say here's what I paid, here's what I paid in taxes.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree.

What purpose does it serve to discuss national averages when someone can come on here and say here's what I paid, here's what I paid in taxes.

Spot on, satisfy both parties by just adding more information. Start with the base price of the car+packages, then add whatever fees you had to get at the final OTD price.

Spot on, satisfy both parties by just adding more information. Start with the base price of the car+packages, then add whatever fees you had to get at the final OTD price.

+1. The only way any of this information is helpful to any of us is to do a detailed breakdown of:

1) Negotiated Price of Car
2) Dealer Fees or other charges
3) Add-ons (ext warranty, tint, whatever)
4) Registration Costs
5) Taxes
6) = Total OTD cost

With that breakdown each person could tailor in the wild card stuff like add-ons, taxes and reg costs to get to what the OTD cost would be in there area. You might have two buyers one who says they paid $26,000 for the car before any charges, while another says $27,000. On the surface the $26,000 seems better but if that dealer also charges a $1,000 dealer fee you're at the same place as the second dealer who didn't charge a dealer fee. But very few people do the breakdown this way.

+1. The only way any of this information is helpful to any of us is to do a detailed breakdown of:

1) Negotiated Price of Car
2) Dealer Fees or other charges
3) Add-ons (ext warranty, tint, whatever)
4) Registration Costs
5) Taxes
6) = Total OTD cost

With that breakdown each person could tailor in the wild card stuff like add-ons, taxes and reg costs to get to what the OTD cost would be in there area. You might have two buyers one who says they paid $26,000 for the car before any charges, while another says $27,000. On the surface the $26,000 seems better but if that dealer also charges a $1,000 dealer fee you're at the same place as the second dealer who didn't charge a dealer fee. But very few people do the breakdown this way.
Thank you for much more eloquently expressing what I was trying to get at.

First post, new CX-5 owner. Just picked up a 2016.5 Touring FWD for around 24k new. Dealer had tons of them on the lot and we used the 2k rebate. They gave us what we wanted for our trade so we're pleased. Only issue I've noticed so far is a strange vibrating sound at slow (read, crawling in bumper to bumper traffic following accordion drivers doing their makeup and texting) speeds and when braking. It almost sounds like it's coming from underneath the vehicle, like maybe it's some of the plastic bits under there? That and a slight shimmy when hitting the brakes a little harder. But overall we are please with it so far.

My wife totaled this car about two weeks back so we replaced it with a 2019 CX-5 Touring FWD with the Preferred Package. Had 2 miles on it. Got it for $28,543.50 out the door. It came with the Preferred Package and they included all weather mats in the front, rear and the rear rubber mat as well. They also included luggage rails and locking lug nuts. They tried to charge me for some dumb crap like pinstripes the vehicle didn't have, and nitrogen filled tires. I told them to suck it I wasn't paying that or the "dealer fee" or any other crap. They went back and forth a few times but in the end we got it for what we were willing to pay. Wrote a check and drove it home.

2017 CX-5 CPO GT w/ PP, Machine Gray - $25k, ~17k miles

I currently have an offer right under $25k for a 2017 CPO GT FWD w/ PP, Machine Gray, no AA/CP, with 16700 miles before TTL & doc fees.
Doc fees are $399, state sales tax is 7.5% and I'm not sure what Title and License fees are for my state; car is out of state, I pay TTL at DMV.

Is this a good deal?

Seems a little high to me for a 2 year old car, but the GTs do go for more so maybe it's okay on a low mileage car? If I was going to spend the better part of 30 grand on a car, I'd just go ahead and spend a little more and get a new one. But that's just me.

Seems a little high to me for a 2 year old car, but the GTs do go for more so maybe it's okay on a low mileage car? If I was going to spend the better part of 30 grand on a car, I'd just go ahead and spend a little more and get a new one. But that's just me.

These were $32k(ish) MSRP new, so I don't think a bit under $25k is unreasonable (take a look at comparable used 2017 GT w/ PP pricing in your area). I took a look in my area, and that car with those options are right around $24.5k - $26.5k for private sale and $21.6 - 23.3k trade-in according to KBB. Dropped down to just "Good condition" drops both ranges about a bit over $1k. At only 16,700 miles, while certainly not new, that's hardly anything.

Last edited:

I definitely felt like new was my only option to get what I wanted (gray, GT+PP, AA/CP), but the best price I was able to find was $30.9k before TTL.
If I decide on the '17, I do still have to add AA/CP for another $400 unless I DIY it to save a couple hundred.
I tried haggling to get AA/CP installed on the '17 with little to no charge, but no luck.

These were $32k(ish) MSRP new, so I don't think a bit under $25k is unreasonable (take a look at comparable used 2017 GT w/ PP pricing in your area). I took a look in my area, and that car with those options are right around $24.5k - $26.5k for private sale and $21.6 - 23.3k trade-in according to KBB. Dropped down to just "Good condition" drops both ranges about a bit over $1k. At only 16,700 miles, while certainly not new, that's hardly anything.

I wasn't able to find many Gray 2017 GT w/ PP in my area, there was a Gray 2017 GT w/o PP at 29k miles for $24.3k through a private seller and that was sold in 5 days up on cargurus. The only CPO in my city is a Silver 2018 GT w/o PP at 37.8k miles for $25k. The only other CPO with PP I could find within 200 miles are Red 2018 GT w/ PP, 4k miles for $29.5k, 10k miles for $28.5-29k. At these prices, my thought was to spend a bit more to get a new '19 GT w/ PP in Gray.

I'm having them send photos and videos to see if there are any noticeable wears to be concerned about. If not, I'll probably proceed with a purchase.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hi, I plan to get a CX-5 soon and pass my 2012 RAV4 down to my son. The offer I'm looking at for a new 2019 Machine Grey Touring Preferred FWD is $26,785 selling price after $2500 discount from MSRP, is this reasonable?

They also offer an additional $1000 flex cash rebate, but only if I use regular financing for 72 months rather than their 2.9% 60 month special financing. Since I need financing it seems better to go with the 2.9% despite a higher monthly payment.

I definitely felt like new was my only option to get what I wanted (gray, GT+PP, AA/CP), but the best price I was able to find was $30.9k before TTL.
If I decide on the '17, I do still have to add AA/CP for another $400 unless I DIY it to save a couple hundred.
I tried haggling to get AA/CP installed on the '17 with little to no charge, but no luck.

I wasn't able to find many Gray 2017 GT w/ PP in my area, there was a Gray 2017 GT w/o PP at 29k miles for $24.3k through a private seller and that was sold in 5 days up on cargurus. The only CPO in my city is a Silver 2018 GT w/o PP at 37.8k miles for $25k. The only other CPO with PP I could find within 200 miles are Red 2018 GT w/ PP, 4k miles for $29.5k, 10k miles for $28.5-29k. At these prices, my thought was to spend a bit more to get a new '19 GT w/ PP in Gray.

I'm having them send photos and videos to see if there are any noticeable wears to be concerned about. If not, I'll probably proceed with a purchase.

Thanks guys!

A few months ago I purchased a 2017 Touring, AWD, PP, with 15k miles for $22.5.

I installed AA/CP, luckily the vehicle already have 70 version firmware which made it a simple hardware install only.

Is that 26,785 out the door, or before taxes/fees?

I got my 2019 Touring Preferred AWD at $26,500 before taxes/fees, so if that's your price before taxes/fees as well then you're over-paying.

Granted, I went with the $1000 rebate as I already had financing, but the FWD -> AWD premium is about $1800. You should be able to do between $25,500 and $26,000.

Back