Auto transmission flare changing from 3rd to 4th

I think that we can safely say that going through the procedure again isn't going to solve the issue but I'll bet that doesn't stop the dealer from trying it again...

lol, definition of insanity....

The dealer's foreman came past this morning. Firstly, I showed him the video I made yesterday and he said that was very clear. Went for a test run - and you guessed it, it didnt flare. Heres the videos. Make sure you go to full screen and turn volume up full.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3i9enlm16ad387/Video.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8ujva4fh0iwlia/CX5 gearchange.MOV?dl=0

But anyway, he was satisfied wth the video and asked me to send it to them. We chatted about the two previous software updates and i mnetioned that this latest one seems much better, and I also commented that there seemed to be little point doing the same thing again and expecting different results. He agreed.

He will report back, and Mazda will decide what is to be done, but he thinks that the module that controls the transmission will need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Further update.

The car went back to the dealer yesterday for more tests on the transmission. I had also sent them a couple more videos of the issue happening.

More data downloads, data sent to Mazda HQ in Aus for analysis, then they did more tests. Picked the car up yesterday afternoon and the service advisor said they were waiting to hear back from Mazda Aus on what would be the next step. He said that this is NOT the same issue as other people had experienced a year or more ago with auto transmissions not engaging as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Lucky me - It is something theyve not seen before.

Anyway, at lunchtime today I got a call from the dealer - Mazda is going to replace the transmission. Its been ordered and will take a full day to do the change. Not sure when it will happen, they will contact me to book it in once the new one arrives.

Will update after new trans is in and been running for a week or two.

Last edited:
I'm leery of that kind of stuff, too. My Jeep had the N23 recall done which screwed the 4WD Low up. Chrysler battled owners for over a year with various "re-programs", each time saying they fixed it, or the last one needed to be re-done but with a slightly different way of doing it, etc. All of that failed after a few thousand miles/weeks, and I just bought a computer out of Canada from a wrecked jeep that never got the damn recall.

Quoted myself. I hate being so damn right about some things. Sorry, OP. You need a new transmission or something, and don't stop hounding them until you get it!!!

Also, every Jeep dealer in my area in LA had "never heard of N23 problems before", yet there were 100+ page threads on multiple forums about it...don't give that damn dealer AN INCH! (or is it a centimeter over there?)

Quoted myself. I hate being so damn right about some things. Sorry, OP. You need a new transmission or something, and don't stop hounding them until you get it!!!

Also, every Jeep dealer in my area in LA had "never heard of N23 problems before", yet there were 100+ page threads on multiple forums about it...don't give that damn dealer AN INCH! (or is it a centimeter over there?)

Yeah, its 2.54 centimeters! Get with the plan, over there!

Anyway, im not expecting any drama, Mazda has already approved the replacement transmission, and its been ordered by the dealer.

I can only conclude that the data downloaded by the dealer, plus the videos i took and sent to them, and the work done by the dealer to (unsuccessfully) try to rectify it with software changes, convinced them that there is a hardware problem that warrants a replacement.

The local dealer has been good, Mazda took 1 day after the most recent tests to approve. So I am very pleased with their support. Really couldnt ask for much more.

Note: There are no other reports anywhere that Ive been able to find, on this forum or elsewhere, wth symptoms even close to what my car has shown. The dealer was upfront and talked about the transmission issues (same as others have reported on this forum), but as I said, the slippling/flare between just one gear change when cold hasnt been reported elsewhere that ive been able to find.

So its not at all relevant to compare this situation to the Jeep debacle.

I imagine that Mazda will be sending my transmission back to Japan to be dissected to find and address the root cause.

Note: There are no other reports anywhere that Ive been able to find, on this forum or elsewhere, wth symptoms even close to what my car has shown. The dealer was upfront and talked about the transmission issues (same as others have reported on this forum), but as I said, the slippling/flare between just one gear change when cold hasnt been reported elsewhere that ive been able to find.

I had the exact same flaring issue that you have with my 2016 Mazda3. I brought it to a couple dealers. The one dealer I brought it to couldn't capture the data when it would happen so they couldn't do anything about it even though I had videos of it doing it. Called Mazda corporate and didn't hear back from them. Ended up trading the car in. Of course Mazda finally called back after I traded it in. I just recently got another 2016 Mazda3 hoping the transmission issue from my previous Mazda3 was just a fluke. As soon as I pulled off the dealer lot and it was about to shift into 4th, it flared, but it hasn't happened again since.

Last edited:
This should be the final update on this issue.

Dropped car to the dealer on Wednesday morning for the new transmission to be put in. Took them all day and a bit of Thursday morning to do the change.

When I picked it up I then went for a good drive across town in the freeway to a mates place, did some driving around the suburbs over there, and then back home, did 140kms in total, 2 hours driving. Since then I have done some more local short trips as well.

So its only been 2 full days with the new one, but ......

The new transmission has performed flawlessly. So much so that it has confirmed my view that the original one was never quite right - this one, I feel, seems noticeably smoother and crisper changing whether cold or hot.

I had to reset the iStop system because it had deactivated due to the battery being disconnected, I called the dealer to tell them and they said they would do it for me, but I googled and found the procedure online and did it myself. Working fine now too.

I checked but they said there was no running in required, just drive it like normal. So thats what I am doing.

So I think I can draw a line under the issue and tick it off as "resolved", and I would like to say thanks to Mazda Australia for their good customer support, and to my local dealer Oldmac Mazda for taking care of the work, and keeping me informed along the way.

By the way, i did recently find one other report from a CX5 driver of the same issue, including a video that showed the same symptoms as mine. His auto was replaced as well under warranty and the problem was solved. Similar build date to my car.

Last edited:
⋯ So I think I can draw a line under the issue and tick it off as "resolved", and I would like to say thanks to Mazda Australia for their good customer support, and to my local dealer Oldmac Mazda for taking care of the work, and keeping me informed along the way.

By the way, i did recently find one other report from a CX5 driver of the same issue, including a video that showed the same symptoms as mine. His auto was replaced as well under warranty and the problem was solved. Similar build date to my car.
So I guess some how one inferior part of the hundreds unfortunately got installed into the transmission during that period of time which caused your flare issue. Mazda of Australia stands behind their product and did a right thing replacing your transmission. And you have a new smoother transmission and become a happy Mazda customer!

Back