Spark Plugs.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5, 2.0 Manual Transmission, 1989 Mazda MX-6
I just replaced my spark plugs on my car. I went to a parts house and purchased the NGK ILKAR7L11. I put them in and it seems to be running fine. But the plugs do look different from the ones I took out. It looks normal and you have an electrode coming out of the spark plug. But you also have a bump on the ground electrode. The new ones don't have that. Has anyone purchased them from Mazda and received an exact match.

Attachments

• IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
it's always good to replace your spark plugs at around 60k. worn spark plugs cause premature ignition coil failures.

Those are not the same as the oem design. I just went back to oem because those plugs dont give optimal perfomance. There is a thread about it too on the mazda6 forum and a tuner also has mentioned the oem plugs are best especially because they double as a sensor. The oem plug is not just an overprice reskin as some have said, it's actually different. If you look at the oem plug its like 2x as much gap compared to the one pictured (basically doesnt have a bottom tip, just a small plate), so the denso/ngk plug adds more material and different design to compare to the oem plug.

Last edited:
I just replaced my spark plugs on my car. I went to a parts house and purchased the NGK ILKAR7L11. I put them in and it seems to be running fine. But the plugs do look different from the ones I took out. It looks normal and you have an electrode coming out of the spark plug. But you also have a bump on the ground electrode. The new ones don't have that. Has anyone purchased them from Mazda and received an exact match.
Your picture doesn't show the part number imprinted on the factory spark plug, what is it?

From 2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual said:
Electrical System
Spark-plug number Mazda Genuine spark plug*1 PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110

CAUTION
When cleaning the iridium plugs, do not use a wire brush. The fine particulate coating on the iridium alloy and platinum tips could be damaged.

*1 This spark plug provides the SKYACTIV-G engine with optimum performance. Contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer for details.

Here are some info for spark plug comparison between OEM and NGK's from 75k mile maintenance observation / recommendation, and apparently his OEM replacement plugs look the same as factory plugs but not NGK's:
⋯ and change all fluids at 75k and spark plugs.

Spark Plugs = (4) Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark (funny story - ordered OEM and sent me NGK, they fixed it though)
⋯ People say OEM SkyActiv spark plug is the same as NGK's equivalent, but the price is 4~5 times higher! How different do these two look like? Did you notice NGK part number printed on the OEM spark plug case?

Finally, do you mind to tell us where did you get the OEM parts and how much does each part cost?
Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!

Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
4 $22.88 $91.52

The oem plug is flat at the bottom. I know the denso isn't like that but I may be mistaken about the ngk.
s-l400.jpg

The oem plug is flat at the bottom. I know the denso isn't like that but I may be mistaken about the ngk.
s-l400.jpg

Workshop manual shows different plug on the pic though.
am3uun00001936.gif

Specification

Spark plug type
PE01-18110, PE02-18110

Perhaps they're different from those in early models and 2016 has a different plug.
Furthermore,

Spark plug gap (PE01-18-110, PE02-18- 110)
Standard: 0.751.10 mm {0.0300.043 in}
New spark plug (reference): 0.750.85 mm {0.0300.033 in}

Spark plug gap (PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18- 110)
Standard: 1.051.40 mm {0.04140.0551 in}
New spark plug (reference): 1.051.15 mm {0.04140.0452 in}

I have never experienced any difference in ignition by installing a good NGK/Denso spark plug instead of OEM one. I've always used iridium or double iridium.

Last edited:
⋯ Perhaps they're different from those in early models and 2016 has a different plug.
Nice find! Looks like Mazda did change spark plugs for later SkyActiv-G's.

Personally I'd still use OEM plugs when the time comes.

The plugs provide ion sensing for the engine computer. Some have used non oem (see engine misfires thread) and after a lot of diagnostic work the problem was fixed by replacing with oem...

Those are not the same as the oem design. I just went back to oem because those plugs dont give optimal perfomance. There is a thread about it too on the mazda6 forum and a tuner also has mentioned the oem plugs are best especially because they double as a sensor. The oem plug is not just an overprice reskin as some have said, it's actually different. If you look at the oem plug its like 2x as much gap compared to the one pictured (basically doesnt have a bottom tip, just a small plate), so the denso/ngk plug adds more material and different design to compare to the oem plug.

Ive been mending cars for the best part of 45 years and dont have any trouble spotting iridium plugs. The shape of the ground electrode isnt important, its the shape of the electrode that indicates whether it is an iridium plug. In the attached file, the bit that seems to cause you concern has been flattened to the ground electrode but its still there and for that reason the plugs in the OP s photo are correct and so are the OEM plugs in 52s photo.

The pic is the spark plug that came out of the car. So looks like the new spark plug does not have the platinum tip. Or least its flat. I don't want to completely waste my $50 on these plugs. So next year I will go to dealer.

The pic is the spark plug that came out of the car. So looks like the new spark plug does not have the platinum tip. Or least its flat. I don't want to completely waste my $50 on these plugs. So next year I will go to dealer.

You have the correct plugs. It will be fine.

Just did a bit of digging on the Mazda online manual. This is the instructions for changing the plugs with the Mazda OEM number highlighted;

fullsizeoutput_17ab.jpg

......and this is a photo of an online supplier for the OEM plugs. The NGK number that the OP used is right beside it on the same box. Save your money and buy the exact equivalent if you can be sure of the quality. The same applies to filters and oil and wipers etc.

fullsizeoutput_17ad.jpg

fullsizeoutput_17af.jpg

fullsizeoutput_17ae.jpg

Last edited:
The part number on the spark plug that came out of the car says PE02 18110

The part number on the spark plug that came out of the car says PE02 18110

That’s on early versions. I think 2012-2014. After that they changed the spark plugs with increased gap. Anchorman’s part number is for latest models I reckon. I have two different workshop manuals, one is for 2012-, the other is 2012-2014 and on both there is PE01/PE02 as part number. On mcx5 online manual both PE02 and PE5R or PE5S

All the plugs versions for these engines end 18-110. The early versions - PE-01 and PE-02 have been superseded by later interchangeable versions PE-5S and PE-5R.

The only difference then is who made them PE-01 and the later PE-5R are made by NGK. PE-02 and the later PE-5S are made by Denso. Mazda no longer supply PE-01 or PE-02 although you might find old stock on ebay.

To help reassure you, I’ve attached a screenshot from the online LIVE parts list - this is current as of now. If I try to select either PE-01 or PE-02 it comes up with a supersession box. In this screenshot you can see all these part numbers including the associated manufacturers plug and you can see that our OP has indeed got the correct plug. He could have bought Denso FC20HPR8 and he would still be correct. He’s basically taken the early Denso plug out and put the later NGK plug in - thats absolutely OK. So let me show it another way;

Original version PE-01-18-110 (was NGK DILKAR7F8) is now PE-5R-18-110 (NGK ILKAR7L11)

Original version PE-02-18-110 (was Denso FC20HPR8) is now PE-5S-10-110 (Denso ZC20HPR11)

I would always fit the later version. All these modern iridium plugs are going to wider gaps to improve performance and in the later part numbers, both NGK and Denso show the factory set gap in the part number - so the last two digits - 11 equals 1.1mm. Here is that screen shot with the supersession;

fullsizeoutput_17b0.jpg

Last edited:
Back