Serpentine belt broke while driving

This reminds me, Ive been planning on replacing mine. 13 with nearly 70k. Possibly doing a big move in several months and dont have time to worry about this later. New tensioner and belts ordered and on the way, going to replace everything regardless of condition. Nearly 7 years old, more concerned about the age than the mileage.

This reminds me, I*ve been planning on replacing mine. *13 with nearly 70k. Possibly doing a big move in several months and don*t have time to worry about this later. New tensioner and belts ordered and on the way, going to replace everything regardless of condition. Nearly 7 years old, more concerned about the age than the mileage.

Recently ordered new belt and tensioner (I'm at 104k on a 2013). Installed belt but since tensioner was still good I left it alone. I saved the new one just in case. A $20 belt is cheap insurance. I highly recommend getting long reach wrenches though.

Recently ordered new belt and tensioner (I'm at 104k on a 2013). Installed belt but since tensioner was still good I left it alone. I saved the new one just in case. A $20 belt is cheap insurance. I highly recommend getting long reach wrenches though.
Did you replace inner water pump belt at the same time?

I made this account because my girlfriend owns a CX-5 and I end having to do some work on it.

Today she was on her way to a doctors appointment and she had heard a snap and then her battery light came on followed by power steering and speedometer not functioning. She drove about a half mile on the highway and was luckily close enough to an exit and gas station to pull into. I ended having to come and pick her up. I initially thought when she called me that her battery had given up the ghost because it's getting crusty and is the original battery. When I looked under the hood it I found that the serpentine belt had snapped and shredded. She had it in the garage for inspection last Thursday and they had told her the belt was starting to crack but it should be "ok" for six months. When she had told me Thursday night what they said I told her they were incorrect I would replace sometime this week. Of course, it failed before I got a chance to get to it.

Long story short I am wondering if there is any potential damage to the engine or should I be fine to pick a belt from a parts store and install it. Should we also hold the garage accountable for telling her she should not replace a belt that is cracking immediately considering a belt is relatively inexpensive compared to the potential danger and damage breaking one poses.

Thanks for reading a bit of a rant.

If a mechanic says a part is good for only 6 months, it almost means "You better change it now". Usually it it is the opposite, the technician suggests to change a part or fluid that doesn't need changing at all. So it is understandable that one might think they wanted to sell a belt when it wasn't bad. I think that shop is honest and probably good.

Did you replace inner water pump belt at the same time?

No I did not :(. Was not comfortable enough to do so......okay I was scared!!! I do have that new water pump belt at hand though. That said, we don't plan on keeping the car past 150k miles (3.5 years longer). I hope the original waterpump belt lasts that long. We plan on getting a newerish SUV by then.

I got my car back from the mechanic the other day and he said he had no idea why the belt broke. Must have just been defective or something. He said he put it on and drove it down the road and let it run for about an hour and it seemed fine. I'll just have to keep an eye on it i suppose. only charged me $66 for both the belt and labor. really odd for a serpentine belt to fail at only 3 years old and 60k miles.

Back