2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring LED Lights for Trunk, front window sunshade

dkim

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring
I've noticed that the trunk doesn't get much light and am looking to install an LED light kit for it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, any recommendations for a sunshade?

I'm located in Southern california.

Covercraft for a sunshade. Think the OEM one is also a covercraft with a Mazda logo (guess thy make them for 18).

For the trunk light, do you want to just change the bulb or add a lightbar? There*s a detailed thread here somewhere with a lightbar install and it*s pretty easy and looks great...

I second the Covercraft sunshade.It was pricey (paid about $47 delivered) but is still holding up 4-1/2 yrs later.It's thick enough not to droop like the cheap one's and adds a degree of insulation so less heat penetrates it.After years of the cheap one's ,I'll buy another when this one finally wears out.They come in different colors and I chose the silver figuring it would reflect the most sunlight.

Regarding trunk illumination or changing any bulbs for that matter,absolutely disconnect the battery.I didn't when changing my overhead interior lights to LED bulbs and shorted across two terminals using a small screwdriver to pop the original bulbs out.The result was no instruments,power locks,windows,engine starting etc.Dead in the water.Luckily,thanks to info that I had read prior that was posted on this website, I knew to check fuse #54 ("room fuse") in the fuse box next to the battery.(Fuse located in the uppermost left corner in my 2014 touring.Don't know about newer models.)Saved my bacon.Replaced it and all fine.Find this fuse for yourself and note its location.

Regarding the trunk light,I've read on this forum that someone didn't disconnect the battery and shorted out the terminals when changing that bulb and blew out/fried the rear body control module.I disconnected the battery before changing that one so no problems there . Jmaz

Regarding trunk illumination or changing any bulbs for that matter,absolutely disconnect the battery.I didn't when changing my overhead interior lights to LED bulbs and shorted across two terminals using a small screwdriver to pop the original bulbs out.The result was no instruments,power locks,windows,engine starting etc.Dead in the water.Luckily,thanks to info that I had read prior that was posted on this website, I knew to check fuse #54 ("room fuse") in the fuse box next to the battery.(Fuse located in the uppermost left corner in my 2014 touring.Don't know about newer models.)Saved my bacon.Replaced it and all fine.Find this fuse for yourself and note its location.

Regarding the trunk light,I've read on this forum that someone didn't disconnect the battery and shorted out the terminals when changing that bulb and blew out/fried the rear body control module.I disconnected the battery before changing that one so no problems there . Jmaz

Why can't you just have the light set to "Off" and leave the battery connected? Kind of like changing a switched ceiling fixture in your house. If the switch is off, there is no power going up to it.

Why can't you just have the light set to "Off" and leave the battery connected? Kind of like changing a switched ceiling fixture in your house. If the switch is off, there is no power going up to it.
Jmazs warning is legit. For pre-2016 gen-1 CX-5, the trunk light connect to pretty expensive RBCM directly without going through any fuse. Any short situation at the bulb socket will fry the module, and many did. Unless youre like a member from Russia who can do component-level repair, its a very expensive replacement on RBCM.

For face-lifted 2016 CX-5, Mazda realized the problem and changed the wiring design, and the trunk light is now protected by a fuse.

And youre right. We can simply make sure the light switch is off when we replace these interior bulbs, and thats what I did. But some bulb sockets do have other positive wirings nearby before the light switch so a short situation is still slightly possible even if the light switch is off. But with current wiring design the worst is a fuse got burned. Besides, LED is polarized we have to test it with power making sure polarization is correct or we need to reverse it. With negative terminal off on the battery thats not convenient.

That's true maybe 95% of the time, but every once in awhile a home fixture will have a hot wire and a switch leg. It's not worth taking the chance w/120v for me. So beware.
That said, I know electricians who work on live 200A breaker panels.

I second the Covercraft sunshade.It was pricey (paid about $47 delivered) but is still holding up 4-1/2 yrs later.It's thick enough not to droop like the cheap one's and adds a degree of insulation so less heat penetrates it.After years of the cheap one's ,I'll buy another when this one finally wears out.They come in different colors and I chose the silver figuring it would reflect the most sunlight.

I'm thinking of buying this set to get some interior LEDs installed
https://www.precisionled.com/mazda-c...2-present.html

Would I still need to disconnect the battery?

and how did you get a covercraft sunshade for so cheap? I thought they're over $60 minimum

yrwei52, thanks for your agreement and a fuller explanation.I didn't know mazda updated the wiring.

dkim, that looks like a nice led kit with the plastic installation tools to pry off lenses and remove bulbs without short circuiting anything and looks like it'll work just fine.It doesn't include visor vanity mirror bulbs which may not matter.My kit (purchased from ebay in 2014) had them but I didn't install them because i felt the cold led lighting is rather unflattering to light up one's (read :women) face and left the warmer original bulbs intact.

If using non conductive tools I wouldn't worry about disconnecting the battery.As yrwei52 stated, the leds only light up if installed in the correct direction so it's easier to have power on when installing.

The covercraft sunshade was purchased spring of 2014 from a vendor on amazon.The price is from memory but believe it's pretty close to what I paid at the time.Prices have no doubt rose.Shop around for best price. Good luck in your endeavors. Jmaz

I've noticed that the trunk doesn't get much light and am looking to install an LED light kit for it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, any recommendations for a sunshade?

I'm located in Southern california.

I just replaced the cargo light with a LED festoon, Sylvania DE3175, purchased at my local auto parts store. As others have eluded to, it is a tad longer than OEM but still fits with some gentle persuasion. I believe it is 31mm long as opposed to the 29mm OEM. Now, all I did was turn the lamp OFF at it's switch before replacing the bulb, then turned it back ON after installation and so far it works fine.

Last edited:
Universal LED strips can be installed in seconds using the existing light bulb socket in the trunk. And you never need to disconnect the battery. HOWEVER any and all electrical work performed on any vehicle you should first disconnect the battery. but we all know this is never going to happen. LOL

As for the front window there are a few sources for windshield shades that are very economically priced. This on I just went out to get my Sunday paper and snap a picture to post. It takes seconds to put up or take down I use it often during the week and purchased it "You purchased this item on October 14, 2017" from amazon. Price: $34.99 & FREE Shipping seller is by AutofitPro.
I see that that seller is still offering the shades.
T series bulb
[url=https://postimg.cc/CzTj28fd][/URL]

Sun Shade:
[url=https://postimg.cc/7f0knFSj][/URL]
This is the seller for the LED strip I used and he still offers them on AMAZON
iJDMTOY 18-SMD-5050 LED Strip Light For Car Trunk Cargo Area or Interior Illumination, Xenon White
by iJDMTOY

As with all electrical modification i.e. upgrades or additions to any vehicle
you must first determine if you are able to do it without harming the current electrical system
or placing the incorrect load on a circuit.

Last edited:
its in the howto section.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861319-Cargo-Illumination-LED

About the sunshade, is the covercraft (or oem) really worth the price? if you have experience.

I will also need a good one for the summer here. Currently using a cheapo walmart one , good but does not cover on 100%.

I bought the OEM one for my Wife's CX-3. It is the same as CX-5 but a little smaller and we both hate it. It is covercraft, or a copy, and it is heavy. We both prefer the silver/foam that roll up. Our other Mazdas OEM shades were foam and light weight and we liked those.

I bought a covercraft for another car previously and had returned it for the same reason, as soon as I opened the new mazda one, i knew it was a mistake. We still need to ebay it a year later. :)

Personally, I don't think Covercraft sunshades are worth what they charge. All the other sunshades I have had have lasted the 5-10 years we have kept the cars, so I don't feel that the Covercraft is any better quality. It doesn't keep the car cooler, or fit better then other made to fit sunshades.

Covercraft for a sunshade. Think the OEM one is also a covercraft with a Mazda logo (guess thy make them for 18).

For the trunk light, do you want to just change the bulb or add a lightbar? There*s a detailed thread here somewhere with a lightbar install and it*s pretty easy and looks great...

Do you have a link to the covercraft one you bought?

Back