Carplay google map not re-calculating?

:
Mazda, 2017 cx-5, GT
Any one got the carplay/android auto installed?
Just got the dealer installed for my CX3, found google map on carplay (ios) will not recalculate router if you went to the wrong route.
Is this a normal problem or only for mazda or maybe the iPhone?

I just did the upgrade on my 2017 CX-5. I've tested with Android Auto for the first week, using a Galaxy S9+. I did not have any issues with Waze or Google maps placing me in the correct location, or recalculating my route.

A few days ago, I began using it with an iPhone 7. I found that on quite a few occasions, the maps struggled to place me in the correct location. It was about two or three blocks off sometimes. This was the case no matter which map app I was using (Google maps, Waze, Apple maps). I can confirm on at least one occasion, Waze would not re-route me while using Apple Car Play. These issues never happened while using Android Auto.
I believe the issue is with cheap GPS hardware in the iPhone. When I looked at the iPhone, it says "GPS signal lost", something I've never seen in the 6-months I've owned the Galaxy S9.

Not that you asked for a review, but overall, with the exception of the GPS issues, I like the Apple Car Play experience more than Android Auto. Mostly because you can use the touch screen in Apple Care Play (while the vehicle is moving less then 5mph), while the touch screen is always disabled in Android Auto.

I've had this happen a few times since installing ACP. I've noticed that it seems to happen when I'm in a rural area where cell reception is spotty. The other day I was driving home from a job that was 300+miles away. I was using waze to negotiate traffic in an area I wasn't familiar with. Waze routed me off the freeway and over a mountain pass to avoid traffic congestion. This was all good until waze stopped moving, and I was (according to the screen) now driving off road and into the pacific ocean! Luckily, I was able to use the Mazda Nav to get me out of the mountains and then switched back to Waze for the rest of the trip.

The stability of ACP/AA is very much dependant on the strength of your cell signal.

The stability of ACP/AA is very much dependant on the strength of your cell signal.

Yes, the phone will try to triangulate you using your cell signal if the GPS signal is weak, but under normal circumstances you don't need a cell signal at all if the map has already been loaded, or if you're using offline maps.

Something definitely gets messed up when the iPhone is connected to the Mazda. I took pictures of my Mazda display, while it wasn't placing me in the correct location, and showed it to Apple. Apple thought it was an issue with the GPS hardware in my phone, so they gave me a warranty replacement, but that didn't solve the issue.

For some reason, I only have these GPS issues when I'm connected though Apple Car Play. If I don't plug my phone into the car, then it always places me in the correct location.

Last edited:
For some reason, I only have these GPS issues when I'm connected though Apple Car Play. If I don't plug my phone into the car, then it always places me in the correct location.

Out of curiosity, which Mazda firmware do you have, and which version of iOS?

Firmware: NA_70.xx.xxA
Phone software: iOS 12.0, but I just upgraded to iOS 12.1 today, we'll see if that makes a difference.

If you have 70.00.021A, upgrade to 70.00.100. ACP seems to be more stable with that version.

With AA and Carplay the phone takes over all duties, including what's displayed on the screen. It sounds like carplay can use the car's GPS antenna if it chooses to, so there is a possibility of a buggy interaction there.

Last edited:
Back