Starting issues

Zoomzoom16

:
Mazda CX-5 2013
Hi all hoping someone can help!

I replaced my battery a week ago and have been driving the car since then with no issues. A week after I replaced the battery I went out to start my car and it turns over as if its going to start and then just dies on me and stops. All my dome lights, radio, dash lights everything work and are on. My key fab battery is also working properly too. No idea whats going on with it and no explanations. It sounds as if it wants to start but can. There is fuel in the car as I was driving it 10 hours prior with no issues.

Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

Or it also could be your alternator. If you have a multimeter check for voltage at the battery posts with the car running, you should be getting around 14 volts, if you aren't it could mean your alternator is bad.

Sometimes batteries, even brand new ones, can be bad. Have it checked by the folks you bought it from. If it checks out OK, then I'd check that all grounding connections are clean and tight.

Hi all hoping someone can help!

I replaced my battery a week ago and have been driving the car since then with no issues. A week after I replaced the battery I went out to start my car and it turns over as if its going to start and then just dies on me and stops. All my dome lights, radio, dash lights everything work and are on. My key fab battery is also working properly too. No idea whats going on with it and no explanations. It sounds as if it wants to start but can. There is fuel in the car as I was driving it 10 hours prior with no issues.
Since your CX-5 wouldnt start, the easiest way is to have another vehicle jump-start your CX-5. Make sure to hook up the negative jump cable to your engine block, not negative post of your battery. Check owners manual if you dont know the location. If the engine turns and starts, most likely your new battery have problem. A weak alternator or the bad connection between battery and starter can be the culprit too. If the engind turns but still wouldnt start even if you jump-start it, you have other issues.

Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

Or it also could be your alternator. If you have a multimeter check for voltage at the battery posts with the car running, you should be getting around 14 volts, if you aren't it could mean your alternator is bad.
+1 for the terminals. Maybe you didn't have them quite tight enough to begin with and they worked their way loose. Also make sure they're not corroded.

The real culprit to the issue ended up being caught Saturday morning. It turned out that the mass flow sensor was the issue. I unplugged the sensor and it started automatically no issues. I then plugged it back in and it would not start again. Ordered a new sensor waiting for the part to come in Wednesday ����

The real culprit to the issue ended up being caught Saturday morning. It turned out that the mass flow sensor was the issue. I unplugged the sensor and it started automatically no issues. I then plugged it back in and it would not start again. Ordered a new sensor waiting for the part to come in Wednesday ����

Interesting catch. How did you arrive towards troubleshooting the MAF?

I actually found an article online with someone having the same exact issues as I was. And that*s what they found out to be wrong as well I was surprised.

Good catch and thanks for the follow up, much appreciated.

OP could try hitting the MAF up with a can of air. They also make MAF cleaner sprays. I think CRC has one at walmart. Perhaps it was dirty. OP should check if the airbox was shut/sealed correctly.

Yes I did try MAF spray first to see if it was just dirty. Gave it a few shots but it didn*t do anything that*s what brought me to the conclusion of needing a new sensor

Back