2017 CX-9 rusting paint? Only been through one winter

andre6_

:
Mazda CX-9 GS-L 2017 AWD
The car only been through one winter and it looks like its rusting? When I scrub really hard then some of it does come off. Any recommendation on how to get it cleaned? Maybe a clay bar? Car is under 1 year old. See attached pictures.

q3Y3lCIdm4jbgMXD2

vuXOkpjeMsBQsmE22

d8KRi1v5fgkCugoP8

sSo0DEaJOGlqdBon2

ivk8N3yPLB4QDban2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ivk8N3yPLB4QDban2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OnVMnN2lyf6LANam2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f60S3gV3jd6TqnAp1

That looks similar to some brown sap I've had on my car are you sure it is rust? Claybar took up the stubborn tree sap for me.

Looks like surface contaminants. Try a clay bar then a paint cleaner to clear it up and then put a good layer of wax on top. Or you can try a cleaner wax which expedites the process

Ah, surface rust...really shows in white paint. My Dodge had this issue, as it was my airport car, parked in Detroit for days on end: rail dust, industrial contaminants in the air. Never ending.
A good scrub got the easy stuff off, clay bar for the harder stuff.
To be fair, I never cared for that paint, no regular wax, etc.
But I could always get it removed.

That looks similar to some brown sap I've had on my car are you sure it is rust? Claybar took up the stubborn tree sap for me.

I don't think its tree sap since it is all over the car and not just one spot. It does come off after giving it a very good hard scrub.

Looks like surface contaminants. Try a clay bar then a paint cleaner to clear it up and then put a good layer of wax on top. Or you can try a cleaner wax which expedites the process

I thought the car comes with some triple layer protection paint. I remember the old Mazda rusting like that. Looks like the new Mazda still has it. I will have to get a clay bar and wax on top. Thanks!

Ah, surface rust...really shows in white paint. My Dodge had this issue, as it was my airport car, parked in Detroit for days on end: rail dust, industrial contaminants in the air. Never ending.
A good scrub got the easy stuff off, clay bar for the harder stuff.
To be fair, I never cared for that paint, no regular wax, etc.
But I could always get it removed.

My thought exactly. I don't see it that much on my other car but maybe because this is my first white car. Guess I will need to get a clay bar and wax after. I'm not going to get another white car if this happens to all white cars. Thanks

I don't think its tree sap since it is all over the car and not just one spot. It does come off after giving it a very good hard scrub.

If you really think it's rust, you should bring it in to the dealer for a warranty claim.

that's not surface rust! that is from driving over train tracks. if it was surface rust it wouldnt be coming off when you scrub!

don't scrub your paint, jesus. you will scratch it.

use a claybar.

that's not surface rust! that is from driving over train tracks. if it was surface rust it wouldnt be coming off when you scrub!

don't scrub your paint, jesus. you will scratch it.

use a claybar.

I live next to the Go Train station so I drive pass the train track I don't know how many times but this must be it. Damn it, now I need to invest on a claybar and start scrubbing every summer. Thanks for the info.

I live next to the Go Train station so I drive pass the train track I don't know how many times but this must be it. Damn it, now I need to invest on a claybar and start scrubbing every summer. Thanks for the info.

Use a rubbing compound instead of using a claybar. Clay barring wears down the clearcoat a tiny bit every time you do it, and that's why it's really important that you apply a good layer of wax afterwards. A rubbing compound is less abrasive and much easier to use. Typically I only clay bar once a year to get rid of all the road debris that was accumulated over the winter.

no problem! do you hand-wash your vehicle? make sure to use lots and lots of wax if you do.

Back