US Diesel's big splash introduction

Aye, go on, write it off before you’ve tried it. What those figures don’t do is demonstrate the pulling power which is far in excess of the petrol engine. I’ve said many times in this thread that all the grunt is low down and there is no benefit in caning it. Its a worthless test in that respect.

I don't have a boat, horse trailer, or camper.

There is a ~0.5s pause accompanied by what sounds like misfiring right in the middle of 1st gear. I haven't seen that in any of the dozen or so other YouTube videos of 2.2D acceleration. Traction control kicking in?

So basically 2.0L performance. About a full second to 60 slower than my 2.5L, which, now that I have moved, is returning an average of 25-27mpg per tank. Also, the roads I now drive are asphalt, which is very quiet compared to concrete. My location has vastly improved my CX5 experience. Given the 30 cents per gallon premium for Diesel, these factors will keep me in my current CX5 petrol, along with what appears to be plenty of teething issues for Mazda.

Nonono this is nearly lock step with the 2.5 (new car is a bit heavier/slower), smashes its fe by min 33%, sounds pretty great too. Ill pay the 5-10% for fuel..big q is how much more up front..and seems like it presumes gt but i hope they offer it in touring as well. s*** I just hope the tree huggers let them offer it here period.

Nonono this is nearly lock step with the 2.5 (new car is a bit heavier/slower), smashes its fe by min 33%, sounds pretty great too. Ill pay the 5-10% for fuel..big q is how much more up front..and seems like it presumes gt but i hope they offer it in touring as well. s*** I just hope the tree huggers let them offer it here period.

For a new vehicle, for sure. Trading in my 2015 and dealing with the negative equity? Not a chance.

I live in a state where the diesel price is, in some places, cheaper than regular gas! That is why it is almost a no brainer for me - cheaper fuel cost, greater mileage, more torque all wrapped up in a quiet interior (compared to me 2014).

Aye, go on, write it off before you’ve tried it. What those figures don’t do is demonstrate the pulling power which is far in excess of the petrol engine. I’ve said many times in this thread that all the grunt is low down and there is no benefit in caning it. Its a worthless test in that respect.
Inclines!!!

I think diesel engine is delayed due to engine gasket issue which happens in many countries.
As mileage accumulates (50K, 100K), these older engines begin to show this issue.

Mazda certainly wants to be very cautious not to tarnish their reliability image due to diesel engines in US.
(CX7 was pretty bad for Mazda in USA due to its turbo)
That is my guess, but the diesel engine issue is real.

So basically 2.0L performance. About a full second to 60 slower than my 2.5L, which, now that I have moved, is returning an average of 25-27mpg per tank. Also, the roads I now drive are asphalt, which is very quiet compared to concrete. My location has vastly improved my CX5 experience. Given the 30 cents per gallon premium for Diesel, these factors will keep me in my current CX5 petrol, along with what appears to be plenty of teething issues for Mazda.

Because it doesn't rev as hard, standing start is less aggressive. Hence slower time. However for overtaking, that's where having excess torque will help.

There is a ~0.5s pause accompanied by what sounds like misfiring right in the middle of 1st gear. I haven't seen that in any of the dozen or so other YouTube videos of 2.2D acceleration. Traction control kicking in?

Nope as on the dash, traction control is off. It's actually wheel spin

I live in a state where the diesel price is, in some places, cheaper than regular gas! That is why it is almost a no brainer for me - cheaper fuel cost, greater mileage, more torque all wrapped up in a quiet interior (compared to me 2014).

Same here, only with a 2015. A diesel is close to the perfect ride.

Inclines!!!

Yeah, my CX5 makes it up my drive-way at a crawl in 2nd gear. My drive-way is so steep UPS refuses to take a truck down it, and panel vans need a running start to get out and they spin all the way. I don't think I need a diesel, considering how my gas burner handles it like a boss.

Maybe you're not their target market then ;)

Some of us who have access to cheaper diesel than gas, do occasionally tow things and don't already own a 2015 might still be interested.

Right, I never said it's a bad vehicle or noone should buy one.

Back