A year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

OP probably isn't resetting his info monitor at fill ups or before trips. Time is a factor in the calculation so if you factor in all the time spent idling over the lifetime of the vehicle (0 mpg), 20 sounds about right.

To get a more accurate picture you need to reset the monitor before the trip.

Last edited:
I guess it might have to do with the short trips, because my commutes are normally 11mi - 15mi . I'll have to do the manual calculation when i fill up the tank to see if it is any different.

11 -15mile commute is perfect for electric car.

Have you tried different gas brand? I would not recommend premium gas because the price difference will negate the savings from increased efficiency.

You can*t compare notes on fuel consumption- especially off the trip computer. That bases it*s average on how you*ve just been driving added to the average of when you last cancelled it. Furthermore, there are so many variables that effect it like driving style, traffic, temperature, tire pressure, how much clutter you cart around, a/c, other electrical loads and not to mention driving style. Even two cars making the same trip will show different especially on the dash and even on tank to tank calculations.

Hi guys.

I've had my 2018 CX-5 GT AWD for a full year now, and i'm still just averaging 20 MPG (mostly city driving). Is that normal? considering that the official Mazda specs say MPG: 24 City / 30 Hwy.

I know there can be some discrepancy between cars but at 20 MPG i might as well be driving a full size truck. lol

Just wondering if anyone else is getting low MPGs and if there's something i should do to help improve that.

would pumping premium gas help?

Well, its not like its ever going to change unless you change driving habits. It sounds typical for city commute. If you change that, it will change.

11 -15mile commute is perfect for electric car.

Have you tried different gas brand? I would not recommend premium gas because the price difference will negate the savings from increased efficiency.

Is that 11-15 miles or 11-15 minutes? I read the mi as minutes, not miles.

You can*t compare notes on fuel consumption- especially off the trip computer. That bases it*s average on how you*ve just been driving added to the average of when you last cancelled it. Furthermore, there are so many variables that effect it like driving style, traffic, temperature, tire pressure, how much clutter you cart around, a/c, other electrical loads and not to mention driving style. Even two cars making the same trip will show different especially on the dash and even on tank to tank calculations.
The fuel monitor app is live and real time?!?

Yes. So it looks at how you drive and adjusts accordingly. It*s why you need to zero the trip meter every month or so.

What do you mean when you say adjusts accordingly?

edit: Or are you referring to the mileage remaining display? That seems to be adaptive.

Last edited:
LoL. No, I'm saying it is real time. When you're running the app, it gives you mileage for that trip. But your overall mileage in the cluster is between resets.

LoL. No, I'm saying it is real time. When you're running the app, it gives you mileage for that trip. But your overall mileage in the cluster is between resets.

Both true. But the app also gives an overall, or can be set to sync with trip A resets. At least on the 17.

Both true. But the app also gives an overall, or can be set to sync with trip A resets. At least on the 17.

This is true for the '16 as well. Bottom bar graph is the last five averages, including the current (changes with reset).

Op did not state how many miles is his city driving commute. I mean if you drive 1 mile per day in stop in go city driving you will average like 16mpgs lol.

I average about 11miles - 15 miles per commute.

And yes I do reset the A trip calculator after each fill up.

And from what I am gathering my low milage can be due to several factors but mainly to short trips, city driving (constant traffic lights, stop and go etc), and my driving style (which can be a little aggressive at times, but once you live in the Bay Area you understand why lol )

So i guess i'll be happy with my 20MPG average lol

Thanks for all the input guys.

I average about 11miles - 15 miles per commute.
My wife drives 11 miles / 40 minutes per communite to work with all local road and many traffic lights, but her 2016 CX-5 AWD still gets 25~26 mpg. In theory your 2018 CX-5 AWD 2.5L helped with cylinder deactivation should get better mileage than our 2016 CX-5 and IMO 20 mpg definitely is unacceptable. Id bring this issue up to Mazda dealer for warranty service at next convenience to make a record at least.

I dont buy the theory that the gas mileage would be improved greatly after break-in period or a year of driving as you have found out. The gas mileage on our CX-5 has never changed since new.

⋯ and my driving style (which can be a little aggressive at times, but once you live in the Bay Area you understand why lol )
Yeah I thought drivers in Dallas area are very aggressive. But after we drove our 1998 Honda CR-V from Dallas to San Jose a few days ago, yes drivers in Bay Area are much more aggressive than in Dallas area!

So i guess i'll be happy with my 20MPG average lol
No, you shouldn't be happy with 20 mpg on you 2018 CX-5 AWD with cylinder deactivation. Something is wrong and hopefully your Mazda dealer can find out where the problem is when you complain the issue.

You really have to drive like the worlds most cautious grandma to get the stated mileage (something almost nobody does, even if you have an Eco mode), under some set of completely optimal conditions (terrain, road conditions, temperature, altitude). Thats been true of every car Ive ever owned. Most people are not driving under optimal conditions.

When I see a stated mileage I subtract a couple mpg for that, then another 3-4 in the city for me knowing that I dont like to waste time getting up to speed.

I just got a 2019 CX-5 GTR which states city mpg of 22. Sure enough, Im getting about 17 in city driving on my first 3 tanks.

Last edited:
I dont buy the theory that the gas mileage would be improved greatly after break-in period or a year of driving as you have found out. The gas mileage on our CX-5 has never changed since new.

Agree.

No, you shouldn't be happy with 20 mpg on you 2018 CX-5 AWD with cylinder deactivation. Something is wrong and hopefully your Mazda dealer can find out where the problem is when you complain the issue.

Disagree. Every single commute is different. Too many factors to say unequivocally that it's off. He needs to drive more then 15 miles to get better readings.

You really have to drive like the worlds most cautious grandma to get the stated mileage (something almost nobody does, even if you have an Eco mode), under some set of completely optimal conditions (terrain, road conditions, temperature, altitude). Thats been true of every car Ive ever owned. Most people are not driving under optimal conditions.

When I see a stated mileage I subtract a couple mpg for that, then another 3-4 in the city for me knowing that I dont like to waste time getting up to speed.

I just got a 2019 CX-5 GTR which states city mpg of 22. Sure enough, Im getting about 17 in city driving on my first 3 tanks.
Apparently you're an aggressive driver, but OP is not and aggressive only when necessary. You have a 2.5T which will use a lot more gas than a naturally aspirated engine when you drive very aggressively and keep the turbo spinning all the time. OP doesn't have a turbo to suck more gas for power. Just ask those 2018 CX-5 owners who gets only 20 mpg average under any circumstances.

We finally agreed on something! ;)

Disagree. Every single commute is different. Too many factors to say unequivocally that it's off. He needs to drive more then 15 miles to get better readings.
Better reading or not, his average MPG is only 20 for the entire year. That's very poor for a CX-5 with 2.5L. As I said before my wife's commute is only 11 miles similar to OP, but our CX-5 gets 25~26 mpg. Have you ever got average 20 mpg from your CX-5?

Back