2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

I'm still kinda surprised you bought another Mazda, Yrwei.
I'm not loyal to any specific brand as long as the design and features fit my believes and requirements. And reliability is very important to me too as I usually keep the car forever. That's why I don't want cylinder deactivation and turbo, the same on CVT, based on the history of reliability concerns. Yaris iA / Mazda2 has good enough power from its 1.5L which definitely does not have cylinder deactivation. It has a 6-speed automatic, as more gears are very important to a small engine, and most subcompacts use CVT which I don't prefer. It drives like a Mazda and every switch and infotainment system control are just like my CX-5. The MPG is great with EPA rating 32/40/35 city/highway/combined to offset the high gas price in Bay Area. I paid $13,000 for this 2018 Yaris iA with 3,000 miles which is way below my planned budget. So far I'm very happy with the purchase. The only bad thing happened to Yaris was that g**d*** Toyota dealer screwed up a simple oil change and made 3 quarts of oil leaked out during the road trip to LA!

I'm not loyal to any specific brand as long as the design and features fit my believes and requirements. And reliability is very important to me too as I usually keep the car forever. That's why I don't want cylinder deactivation and turbo, the same on CVT, based on the history of reliability concerns. Yaris iA / Mazda2 has good enough power from its 1.5L which definitely does not have cylinder deactivation. It has a 6-speed automatic, as more gears are very important to a small engine, and most subcompacts use CVT which I don't prefer. It drives like a Mazda and every switch and infotainment system control are just like my CX-5. The MPG is great with EPA rating 32/40/35 city/highway/combined to offset the high gas price in Bay Area. I paid $13,000 for this 2018 Yaris iA with 3,000 miles which is way below my planned budget. So far I'm very happy with the purchase. The only bad thing happened to Yaris was that g**d*** Toyota dealer screwed up a simple oil change and made 3 quarts of oil leaked out during the road trip to LA!

Yeah, looks like a good little car. I actually see a fair amount of actual Mazda 2's here in Denver periodically.

Still one wonders if it has some of the same little things you've griped about in the past. For instance, how many screws on the visor? ;)

But yeah at $13k for a vehicle with 3k miles on it? Not shabby at all!

And regarding the oil change. Yep, I'm never letting anyone touch my oil again, except me. And as many other things as I can feasibly do myself.

CX-3 is very small, it's smaller than Mazda3! It has very minimum space behind the rear seat. If you want to stay with another Mazda, get a new Mazda3.
So my wife test drove a CX-3 yesterday and guess what... she thinks it's too small! Even in the driver's seat; she wanted more shoulder room.

Then she got in a 3, and she liked that a lot better.

>>> For anyone who wants a preview of the next gen interior of CX-5, check out the new 3. Pretty sweet. And the infotainment is at least 100% better.

But the 3 now has the 2.5G with Cylinder Deactivation. Dammm. Real peppy, tho, compared to the CX-5 NA. It's could be a tempting option at a much lower price for when my lease runs out in a year. Maybe CD will be sorted out by then. [dreaming?]

The 2.5T in it would be incredible if they beefed up the suspension and brakes. Dreaming.

That's why I don't want cylinder deactivation and turbo, the same on CVT, based on the history of reliability concerns. Yaris iA / Mazda2 has good enough power from its 1.5L which definitely does not have cylinder deactivation. It has a 6-speed automatic, as more gears are very important to a small engine, and most subcompacts use CVT which I don't prefer.

Agree somewhat with your reliability concerns, but honestly, the concerns about modern turbo's is probably unfounded.
I'd be very reluctant to buy an older vehicle with a turbo, but I don't see a lot of problems with them on newer vehicles. The technology has matured.
How many posts are there on this site complaining about failed turbo's? I haven't seen any.

CVT's are still a mess (Nissans being the worst), so I'm with you on that one. I won't be buying a vehicle any time soon that has one.

Cylinder deactivation has certainly not had the bugs worked out of it yet (not just Mazda), and considering the small returns in gas mileage, it's a stupid idea. No to that.

You didn't mention stop and go, but that's another technology that hasn't matured properly. No thanks there too.

Agree somewhat with your reliability concerns, but honestly, the concerns about modern turbo's is probably unfounded.
I'd be very reluctant to buy an older vehicle with a turbo, but I don't see a lot of problems with them on newer vehicles. The technology has matured.
How many posts are there on this site complaining about failed turbo's? I haven't seen any.

CVT's are still a mess (Nissans being the worst), so I'm with you on that one. I won't be buying a vehicle any time soon that has one.

Cylinder deactivation has certainly not had the bugs worked out of it yet (not just Mazda), and considering the small returns in gas mileage, it's a stupid idea. No to that.

You didn't mention stop and go, but that's another technology that hasn't matured properly. No thanks there too.

Yeah, but few people can tell the difference between a CVT and a normal transmission. And that is especially true for those people buying Mazda class vehicles.

Yeah, but few people can tell the difference between a CVT and a normal transmission. And that is especially true for those people buying Mazda class vehicles.

Really? It seemed pretty obvious to me. The CVT was awful.

But it's so easy. Even my wife, who views her car solely as transportation can feel, hear, and even understand the difference. But she doesn't care. And that's the key. She doesn't "drive", she goes places. So transmission technology is not something that she ever considers. Granted, she has a Subaru with a superior CVT, but it's still a CVT. And it serves her purposes just fine.

So I would modify your statement to "few people care about the difference between a CVT and a normal transmission", and agree wholeheartedly.

Agreed. My old 2004 was reliable till the end [80k]. Till I traded it, that is.
Disagree. Some may be, but some are just fine. They make the engine sound absurd, they're no fun at all. But the good ones [Subaru, Honda] yield better fuel efficiency, and they've become reliable. But I agree with the sentiment. They're great on snowmobiles, but boring and obnoxious if you like to drive.
My wife is test driving a Kona and an Impreza today instead of buying a Mazda3 because of that. Too risky for my money. Sorry Mazda.

But it's so easy. Even my wife, who views her car solely as transportation can feel, hear, and even understand the difference. But she doesn't care. And that's the key. She doesn't "drive", she goes places. So transmission technology is not something that she ever considers. Granted, she has a Subaru with a superior CVT, but it's still a CVT. And it serves her purposes just fine.

So I would modify your statement to "few people care about the difference between a CVT and a normal transmission", and agree wholeheartedly.

Agreed. My wife has been driving her Lexus hybrid with CVT for more than 14 years now and I'd say that these transmissions are among the most reliable out there. Many of their vehicles have 250,000+ miles on them with no issues.
I drive the Lexus on weekends, only so I don't mind at all, especially when the 4600 lb SUV does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and yet averages 26 MPG.

Agreed. My wife has been driving her Lexus hybrid with CVT for more than 14 years now and I'd say that these transmissions are among the most reliable out there. Many of their vehicles have 250,000+ miles on them with no issues.
I drive the Lexus on weekends, only so I don't mind at all, especially when the 4600 lb SUV does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and yet averages 26 MPG.
Yep, people have been saying Subaru and Honda are making good and reliable CVT's, but Toyota's CVT used on Prius and many other hybrids have been proven reliable and effective!

Toyota CVT on hybrids is very different than Honda and Subaru ones. Hybrids use eCVTs in which two motors and the battery pack combines to act as a CVT transmission. Through the eCVT regen energy is sent back to battery and engine/electric power is delivered to the wheels.

Toyota CVT on hybrids is very different than Honda and Subaru ones. Hybrids use eCVTs in which two motors and the battery pack combines to act as a CVT transmission. Through the eCVT regen energy is sent back to battery and engine/electric power is delivered to the wheels.
E-CVT is a CVT. Toyota newer E-CVT uses planetary gears, a setup that is different to the drive belt and conical pulley of traditional CVT. Keep in mind that the older Toyota hybrid is using traditional CVT which carries excellent reliability reputation.

Back