Study: Washington and Delaware share car obsessions with... Mazdas?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
https://komonews.com/news/local/study-washington-and-delaware-share-car-obsessions-with-mazdas

SEATTLE -- We here in Washington love our Mazdas, according to a new study released Tuesday. And we're nearly unique in the nation in doing so.

Data Scientist Matthew Sisco worked with EducatedDriver.org to answer this burning question: Which car brand is most uniquely popular in each state?

Using consumer search data at the state level, Sisco was able to determine which car brand each state was most obsessed with relative to the national average, according to the study.

For Washingtonians, that brand is Mazda, the study says. Only those in Delaware are similarly enthralled with Zoom Zoom.

But the results were mixed across the West Coast, with Oregon liking their Buicks, Suzuki's taking the top spot in Idaho and Alaska, and Tesla topping the charts in California and Arizona.

Acura and Buick tied for the most states, followed by Chrysler, Infiniti, Kia, Lamborghini, Suzuki, and Volvo.

MORE | See the full state list

Sisco found some other interesting nuggets in his research, such as the GMC Yukon sells at over 400 percent the national average in Arkansas, while Toyota Tacoma's sell at 7 times the national average in Hawaii and Nissans sell at 4 times the national average in Mississippi. Volvo V60s sell at 5-6 times the national average in Maine and New Hampshire -- and 8 times the national rate in Vermont.

The-Car-Brand-Each-State-Is-Obsessed-With-Map-1024x837.jpg

I'm not buying this. How can Suzuki be number 1 in 3 states, when they haven't sold cars in the US for over 6 years. Also, Mitsubishi is tops in IL? LOL No one is obsessed with Mitsu in IL.

Useless. From the article:

But that got us thinking which car brand is most uniquely popular in each state? In other words, which vehicle manufacturer are, for example, Texans way more obsessed with and covetous of than other states?

We turned to data scientist Matthew Sisco for help. Using consumer search data at the state level, Sisco was able to determine which car brand each state was most obsessed with relative to the national average.

Obsession, which he defines as search data, does not equal, or event even correlate with, popularity or sales.

Covet a Buick? Sure!

Since one of Mazda's ports of entry is in Washington (Tacoma I believe) could it be that Washingtonians aren't good at sharing? jk :p

I was told by a Seattle-area dealer that vehicles come into the ports of Seattle and Tacoma. Honestly can't say that I see a lot of Mazdas here, which is one of the appealing things about it, it's not yet another Honda/Toyota/Subaru on the road.

I'm in Delaware and I do see quite a few Mazda's. Probably because there's two large Mazda dealers close to the population center in Northern Delaware.

There's also a ton of CR-V's. Everywhere you look.

Jeep for Colorado huh? Figured it would be Jeep or Subaru. I honestly thought Subaru would win out.

This article is dumb tee dumb, dumb, dumb...

"For Washingtonians, that brand is Mazda, the study says. Only those in Delaware are similarly enthralled with Zoom Zoom." What Zoom Zoom, maybe they're "feeling alive?" Who knows...

I went to Seattle last fall for a business trip and was amazed at how many Mazdas there were. 3's and CX-5's literally everywhere. I found myself wondering why that particular city gets it when almost nobody else seems to.

Apparently my own state is Chrysler. Eww. I don't know if I buy that either. Detroit 3 is very well represented in these parts, but I don't see it particularly favoring Chrysler. Especially given the abundance of Chevy/GMC and Ford trucks vs. Dodge trucks.

Last edited:
The Mazda port of entry is Tacoma. They also come in at LA/Long Beach.

Seattle doesnt do much as far as auto imports. They dont have the room Tacoma has. Tacoma has a pretty large operation.

Back