2017 CX-5 drl question

When set in Auto mode, yes

BTW does this mean the LED headlights won't last as long as they would in the case of "halos only" DRL? Let's say I have an 80/20 daytime/nighttime driving pattern, does it mean the headlights will be stressed "full time" instead of just 20% of the entire mileage? Maybe I worry too much, but being totally ignorant of the prices of these headlights (clueless of their model so can't even google their price), and not being a handy guy I always have to rely on the dealership even for small jobs such as bulb replacement.

BTW does this mean the LED headlights won't last as long as they would in the case of "halos only" DRL? Let's say I have an 80/20 daytime/nighttime driving pattern, does it mean the headlights will be stressed "full time" instead of just 20% of the entire mileage? Maybe I worry too much, but being totally ignorant of the prices of these headlights (clueless of their model so can't even google their price), and not being a handy guy I always have to rely on the dealership even for small jobs such as bulb replacement.

LED's are designed to last much longer than conventional halogen bulbs. The intensity of my current Mazda6 LED DRL's is pretty strong and touch would, no LED bulb has failed thus far.

So having LED headlights on all the time might cause them to fail but it won't be as quick as regular halogen headlights.

So I wouldn't worry to much about it :)

This thread has confused me so much! So, is the bottom line that the LED headlights are on all the time that the car is moving, whether day or night?
Yes! This creates an old issue in 90's when GM was pushing mandatory low-beam DRLs that many GM drivers forgot to turn on the headlights with tail lights when it's getting dark! 2017 CX-5 GT with Auto Headlights wouldn't have this problem but Touring and Sport would.

That's reassuring! I know household LED bulbs are long lasting (although it's interesting all manufacturers have the same 25,000 hours claim), but I wrongly thought autos LEDs won't last too long, since these are so bright. Thanks for removing my concerns!

Yes! This creates an old issue in 90's when GM was pushing mandatory low-beam DRLs that many GM drivers forgot to turn on the headlights with tail lights when it's getting dark! 2017 CX-5 GT with Auto Headlights wouldn't have this problem but Touring and Sport would.

Thanks for highlighting this subtle point!

This thread has confused me so much! So, is the bottom line that the LED headlights are on all the time that the car is moving, whether day or night?

Yes, if your car is moving, they are on (headlight and led halo). It doesn't matter what position you have the lights set to. Day and night.

You cannot be moving and not have both the headlight and halo on unless you disable drls.

Yes, if your car is moving, they are on (headlight and led halo). It doesn't matter what position you have the lights set to. Day and night.

You cannot be moving and not have both the headlight and halo on unless you disable drls.

Which the dealer can do I believe

No, this time is for ourselves. With the hail damage at about $10,000, we're considering to trade our 2016 in as is and get a new 2016.5 GT AWD with Tech. I was hoping they can order one from port but the sales manager checked and there's none left. So the only hope is finding one in surrounding Mazda dealers. The problem is it's very difficult to find an AWD CX-5 in Texas! My dealer has 32 2016.5's but all of them are FWD!

And I also found out my insurance company lowballed the damage estimates by using all available after-market parts including new hood、roof、fender、doors、even LED tail light assembly! The adjuster originally quoted me standard (no sensors) after-market windshield and non-LED after-market tail light assembly and I have to go back to claim center this afternoon asking them to change that! I really hate to use all after-market parts fixing our CX-5!

Hope you get the best deal / car.
Speaking from experience - they are supposed to see if they can source used parts - but for that used parts must be available. In my case he told me, he needs to re-do the numbers to see if it gets cheaper - it didnt.
The parts you have listed arent exactly easy to source - so its all weird that they assumed availability.

My cars are parked in the open next to each other - if both were hail damaged I would probably go take the money from insurance and go get a 2013 CX-5 and a 14 Mazda6. Suffer the 2.0L. Weather has been really bad.

Randall Noe's Chrysler dealership on I 20 - he had millions of damage due to recent tornado's- cars tossed over on top of each other. His employees left safely but his dealership is done. Heap of cars. On top of that it took 3 days for FCA to pick his calls.

Yrwei I live east of you and Kaps in Tyler. Weather has been bad here as well. My roof just got replaced like yours.

Hope you get the best deal / car.
Speaking from experience - they are supposed to see if they can source used parts - but for that used parts must be available. In my case he told me, he needs to re-do the numbers to see if it gets cheaper - it didnt.
The parts you have listed arent exactly easy to source - so its all weird that they assumed availability.

My cars are parked in the open next to each other - if both were hail damaged I would probably go take the money from insurance and go get a 2013 CX-5 and a 14 Mazda6. Suffer the 2.0L. Weather has been really bad.

Randall Noe's Chrysler dealership on I 20 - he had millions of damage due to recent tornado's- cars tossed over on top of each other. His employees left safely but his dealership is done. Heap of cars. On top of that it took 3 days for FCA to pick his calls.
Looks like different insurance company has different guideline. I was with Traveler's when previous hail hit. Traveler's quoted all OEM parts no questions asked! This time is Progressive even after I discussed with a supervisor, he insisted it's the company's policy to use after-market parts after the vehicle is more than one year old. The price between OEM and after-market parts differs 30~50%! And I believe the quality is different too! I may consider a total PDR job again from the guy who did it for me last year. But he's too busy right now due to recent hail storms and he wants me to wait until after summer!

Yeah that tornado was horrible and caused 5 deaths! Unfortunately these bad weathers are typical for spring and fall in North Texas!

Should have taken photos and posted here :)
Here are some pictures from 2017 CX-5 Touring showing whenever DRL function is on, both LED DRLs and LED low-beam headlights are simultaneously on! You can imagine how GT DRLs work by replacing Touring LED DRLs with GT's LED Signature DRLs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at parking light position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at headlight-on position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Finally for 2017 CX-5 Touring the high-beam is from the same LED cell for the low beam in the projector, and use a shutter to control them like 2015 bi-xenon HID. For 2016 LED headlights we have a separate LED cell at inner side of the low beam LED dedicated for high beam only.

2017 CX-5 Touring DRLs_01.jpg 2017 CX-5 Touring DRLs_004.jpg 2017 CX-5 Touring Parking_001.jpg 2017 CX-5 Touring Low-Beam Headlight_001.jpg

"both LED DRLs and LED low-beam headlights are simultaneously on!"

Ok. We get it.
Is there no end to your rage over this issue?
😉

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

thanks yrwei52!

I still think its a shame they would drown out the sexy signature DRL with a blinding headlight. I'd like to see some pictures of 2017s from other markets that have the wiring set up like the 2016/2016.5 CX5 LEDs.

thanks yrwei52!

I still think its a shame they would drown out the sexy signature DRL with a blinding headlight. I'd like to see some pictures of 2017s from other markets that have the wiring set up like the 2016/2016.5 CX5 LEDs.
Some earlier post mentioned ThePineappleNin's avatar:

image.php

And this would be what the DRLs look like everywhere in the world for 2017 CX-5 GT! I really don't understand the theory behind it with additional LED headlights serve as DRLs. No one else is doing it nowadays, and they're illegal in EU and many other countries! Mazda North American Operations simply made another mistake on this IMO!

Back