Mazda beats Germans in quality Article

This is a significant win for a small company. I hope Mazda does not rest though. Still plenty of room for improvement (example) in paint quality............according to this forum.

Honestly, the movement of all these companies to me is proof that the whole CR ratings system is crap. Don't believe it. I did not when they said it was bad and don't believe now they said it is the best.

Four issues here + clear coat coming off. Keep up the good work Mazda.

To be fair, your four issues seem to be one off occurrences and don't appear to be common on the CX-5. Just bad luck. The clear coat could possibly be due to paint/finishing issues from the factory, but its more likely that it was caused by the guy who washes/waxes your car way more often than it needs to be, or sun damage, or a combination of the two.

Mazda beats Germans in quality

They also gave good ratings to the Ford Pinto.....
Yeah Consumer Reports have had many screw-ups and they also recommended Chevrolet Vega and many others which turned out to be lemons! But I believe youre referring to Consumer Reports new car Recommended List which comes from their editors opinion, not the reliability rating which is based on subscribers poll. Reliability rating from CR with history of past MYs usually is pretty accurate, as indicated by always-number-one-rated Toyotas. And thiss the only thing Id check on Consumer Reports.

I have found CU to be quite reliable in their reporting for all the vehicles I and the rest of the family has owned. CU is statistically much more reliable than asking a neighbor or dealer. Many data points vs one or two is a no brainer. Ed

I still love my car and I still say, that even with new models out, I still like mine better, than anything on the market, in this price range.
But there are issues with my car, that I did not have with any other cars(all european cars - this one, was my first Japanese car), maybe the 760T Volvo it was worse, though, but it was fun.
Broken lumbar support-broken welding in the frame, driver seat bottom, had to be replaced due to horrible motor noise, outside driver mirror still shakes - after they had a crack at it, belt tensioner had to be replaced(44k !!) and the clear coat.
I'm at 47k now(!).

I would agree that there have been some issues like the tensioner for mine too. There was also the AT shifter switch which wore out and has a revised part now. But for the rest, the car is been extremely reliable.

Good on Mazda.

This is a significant win for a small company. I hope Mazda does not rest though....

Like they rested after winning outright at LeMans (the only Asian carmaker to ever do so) or when they smoked the Acura ITR to hold the record for the fastest FWD car ever tested through the cones by Road & Track magazine? And then never advertised it at all?

Mazda has a history of sweeping their accomplishments under the rug.

I have found CU to be quite reliable in their reporting for all the vehicles I and the rest of the family has owned. CU is statistically much more reliable than asking a neighbor or dealer. Many data points vs one or two is a no brainer. Ed

Too bad they can't have some sort of rating system for New Car Dealer Service...

#2 in 2015

Its been posted earlier:

Good news

It definitely is a good news for Mazda on reliability part. #4 -> #6 -> #12 -> #3 are Mazdas reliability ratings for the last 4 years. It would be nice if it can be more consistent like Toyota and Lexus which are always rated at #1 or #2 on Consumer Reports for as long as I can remember!

Actually, in the April 2015 issue of Consumer Reports, Mazda came in 2nd (Behind Lexus) for overall performance and reliability. Audi had taken the #1 spot for a year or two but it still is not in the same league when reliability, only is the yardstick.
Over the years, most other German manufacturers have been mid-pack at best.
In this latest reliability ranking list, Tesla is near the bottom, along with Volvo and Fiat-Chrysler.

Back